Author Topic: Aérospatiale SA 321 Super Frelon and Changhe Z-8  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Aérospatiale SA 321 Super Frelon and Changhe Z-8
« on: May 26, 2017, 04:14:30 AM »
To share ideas and discuss the Aérospatiale SA 321 Super Frelon. 

While models of the Super Frelon are few, this is an interesting rotary wing aircraft of French design and manufacture by Aérospatiale.  Sikorsky was involved with the design of the rotor system and Fiat assisted in the design of the transmission. 

My first encounter with the Heller 1:35th scale Super Frelon kit was in a hobby shop near the main train station in Frankfurt, Germany.  I really wanted that kit but being stuck in the barracks and little to no personal space meant it went on my wish list.  Several years later I was able to obtain the kit and several years after that I let the kit go at a model show since I was a poor student attending college.  That never stifled my desire to have that kit and several years later I was able to acquire another Heller Super Frelon.  This was the French Navy version had the Exoceet anti-ship missiles and radar.  Not really as interesting as the original Super Frelon kit that came with several squads of infantry to fill the passenger compartment but it had all of the original parts for the troop carrier plus the new parts for the French Navy version.  The one thing I appreciated about the Heller Super Frelon was all of the attention to small details.  The kit included wire for the rotor system and a sheet of very thin plastic to fabricate the troop seats.  There were a lot of internal details included with the Super Frelon kit that most other model companies at the time were ignoring.  Overall it was a very intimidating and impressive model kit. 

Thumbnail image and link to the Wikipedia page on the Aérospatiale SA 321 Super Frelon and Changhe Z-8

As for the model.  The only Super Frelon I have seen actually built was by some modeler from the Spokane, Washington area that built the model in a very dynamic scene showing the Super Frelon coming in for a landing.  The main landing gear was modified by removing the floats (like the South African and Israeli versions).  I don't recall what markings were on the model so it could have been a what-if or it may have been in South African markings.  It was impressive and it got my attention. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Aérospatiale SA 321 Super Frelon and Changhe Z-8
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 04:35:28 AM »
I wish there was a 1/48 kit available...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 04:37:39 AM »
Same here. 

Also need a 1:48th scale Puma/Super Puma but that is for another topic... :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:07:45 AM »
I recall AGRA saying that the RAN actually wanted Super Frelons in preference to Sea kings.

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 01:52:02 PM »
I recall AGRA saying that the RAN actually wanted Super Frelons in preference to Sea kings.

Yes I too recall this mate!
Something about Westland having to squeeze every bit of power out of its Sea King proposal to finally win the competition against the Frelon!
I personally think the Super Frelon would have been too big and consumed even more precious space on HMAS Melbourne. Although saying this it's vertical lift capability would have been appreciated in the Vertical Replenishment mission!
Also of interest is the 'maintenance' issues that Israel.found with its Super Frelon fleet, with the premature withdrawal of the type as a consequence.

M.A.D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 06:40:20 AM by M.A.D »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 02:38:53 PM »
Maybe Old Wombat needs to start planning for a RAM Super Frelon :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 03:35:49 AM »
Same here. 

Also need a 1:48th scale Puma/Super Puma but that is for another topic... :)

Oh yeah!!!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 10:45:34 AM »
Amongst the pile of spare parts recently acquired from an eBay seller were parts for two complete in-flight refueling probes that are mounted to the side of the MH-60 Blackhawk/Pave Hawk helicopters.  I set aside one set for a friend that has my old 1/32nd scale Matchbox Puma after asking him if he liked the idea of a Special Operations Puma.  He was all for it.  Nationality and Service to be determined at a later date. 

The second set was cut away from the runners last night and assembled so that the seams could be addressed and allow for checking fit of the IFR probe on my 1:35th scale Super Frelon.  With the rescue hoist on the port side, it may have to be relocated to the starboard side of the forward fuselage.  We will cross that bridge when we get to it.  The other peculiar bits from the Black Hawk and Pave Hawk are the auxiliary fuel tanks that fit in the passenger compartment plus the defensive gun systems that allow you to mount an M2 Browning .50" machine gun or the 7.62mm NATO Gatling Gun.  I have enough of these to put one on the rear ramp, one in the side door, and who knows where the rest will end up.