Author Topic: Very mildly whiffy Ukrainian BRDM-2 - DONE! - pic's pg.1  (Read 2917 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Very mildly whiffy Ukrainian BRDM-2 - DONE! - pic's pg.1
« on: August 24, 2020, 04:57:08 PM »
Well, looks like I failed to start a thread on this build when I started it .... in November 2017! :-\

As the build is, finally, nearing completion, I think I'll just pop a little place-holder here. ::)

It's slightly more whiffy than I intended, but not by much. ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 08:12:26 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Very mildly whiffy Ukrainian BRDM-2
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 12:12:39 AM »
Better late than not at all.   :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 03:54:55 AM »
Cool! Almost all of Ukraine's current armour could be described as "mildly whiffy"  ;)

Is yours going to be something like UkrOboronProm's BRDM-NIK?
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 12:31:22 PM »
Better late than not at all.   :smiley:

Possibly. ::)

Cool! Almost all of Ukraine's current armour could be described as "mildly whiffy"  ;)

Is yours going to be something like UkrOboronProm's BRDM-NIK?

Nope, nothing that advanced. In fact, a casual look (deeper than a "glance") would probably miss the changes. ;)

Having checked my computer, I've discovered that there are no WiP pictures of the build to its current state. :o

This is disappointing, as the interior is generally invisible & I spent quite some effort getting it to look good. :icon_crap:

Still, once I crack her open again, after weathering, etc., I'll make a bit of an effort to see if I can get a few interior shots. :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 01:14:24 AM »
So, here we are with the finished product. It will be placed in a diorama but I have, yet, to finalise my decision on how that will be done.

Right! Pictures! Let's start with what I could get of the interior;

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 01:15:09 AM »
Now, on to the exterior;

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 01:15:58 AM »
Group photo's;

Ukrainian BRDM-2 & RAM ASLAV 1A2 (front view)

Ukrainian BRDM-2 & RAM ASLAV 1A2 (top view)

"Someone tell Boris smoko's over, to put his bloody headphones on & get his arse into gear!"

Ukrainian TOW-turret LAV-150, Ukrainian BRDM-2 & RAM ASLAV 1A2 (front view)

Ukrainian TOW-turret LAV-150, Ukrainian BRDM-2 & RAM ASLAV 1A2 (top view)

RAM ASLAV 1A2, Ukrainian BRDM-2 & Ukrainian TOW-turret LAV-150 (front quarter view)

Anyway, that's it for photo's.

Had an issue with the SMS clear gloss I used, which is a tiny bit milky (However, I think it may be a semi-gloss but that's not what it says on the label) & it mucked up the transparencies, especially the front windscreens, so I closed up the worst effected one & the other isn't too visible. It also really bites into the clear styrene & softens it (until it dries).

Then I changed my mind about the commander & did another figure for that.

:icon_beer:

Guy

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 01:45:46 AM »
Good looking result! Is that the AEF interior resin set that was available about 20 years ago?

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 02:03:51 AM »
Nicely done. 

What's the scenario for your planned diorama?

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 02:44:21 AM »
Excellent effect ... but most of that lovely interior detail is cover up  :(

Loving those side-by-side size comparisons ... cheers for that  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 03:19:44 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 09:01:42 AM »
Thank you very much, gentlemen! :icon_alabanza:

Is that the AEF interior resin set that was available about 20 years ago?

Nope, purely OoB, with some repositioning of parts to better match photo's I'd seen of the interior of more recent operational vehicles. With the interior paint work I tried to capture the look of several "refurbished" BRDM's I'd seen images of, which seemed to have mostly consisted of an exterior paint job.

What's the scenario for your planned diorama?

If I knew I'd be happier. It's been through 3 major iterations, so far.
1st was a joint NATO affiliate/Ukrainian patrol in the Donets; this was an "action" dio in association with the RAM ASLAV 1A2, with the commander having been head-shot & slumped over the side of the vehicle (the hand coming up was to have been grabbing for his belt to pull him back into the vehicle) & the Australian calling out the target to his gunner.
2nd was the above without the action & a live commander.
3rd was with the BRDM in support of the TOW LAV-150 in an ambush site during a near-future Russian invasion of Ukraine.

I'm currently wavering between the 2nd & 3rd ideas, at the moment, but, who knows, a 4th could pop into my head any time, now.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 01:34:27 PM »
Terrific work. I was especially impressed with the figures, the sculpting and the thoughtful detail around things like the beard, Ukraine coloured Bandana.

Working Dio's up is not easy. From my experience I have found you either have the Dio inspiration and build toward that, which nails the selection of vehicles/figures etc. The others way of building the vehicle then trying to work it into a Dio is much tougher. Generally it is easier to sell the first example because the spark is already there.

Still all vehicles are really well done.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 03:07:00 PM »
Thanks, BT! :smiley:

I'd actually been working toward Scenario 1 since I built the ASLAV 1A2 (mumble-mumble years ago) but, for some reason, the "dead" commander wouldn't fit where I'd modified him to go when I put him together, so I changed tack & went for a live commander.

I'll probably do Scenario 2, eventually, or some variation of it.