Author Topic: Will portable airbrushes take over? I think so.  (Read 2121 times)

Online The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
Will portable airbrushes take over? I think so.
« on: March 11, 2023, 07:12:10 AM »
I haven't used an airbrush since my old Badger, bought about 50 years ago, bit the dust, and it was the ultra-cheap bottle type, not gravity feed, which hooked up to a can of compressed air. Only good for spraying large swaths of paint, and even doing that poorly. But I've been looking around, and I'm seeing the portable ones becoming more popular.

They're not as good as a regular one yet, but as with many things in this world, they are getting better, and will no doubt continue to do so. And I firmly believe that in a few years large compressers will be up for sale on ebay or similar sites, as people transition.

Here's one video I watched today that shows the present state of the art, and I was impressed: Autolock Portable Airbrush

ed-note - fixed the URL - frank3K
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 10:02:25 AM by Frank3k »
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Will portable airbrushes take over? I think so.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 01:24:41 PM »
Nice and affordable in addition to being "portable" which might be a good advantage in getting rid of the cumbersome hose. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 01:14:23 AM »
That was a good review. I ended up ordering one, despite having a nice airbrush setup.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 02:47:29 AM »
That was a good review. I ended up ordering one, despite having a nice airbrush setup.
I was even more impressed to see the reviewer demonstrate the ease of use and ability to use other airbrushes with the handheld compressor.  Definitely a win for the modeler in expanding on your airbrushing capabilities.  There was another airbrush offered at Amazon.com that included an airhose but also about $20.00 more than the other one that was reviewed. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 02:56:00 AM »
I was even more impressed to see the reviewer demonstrate the ease of use and ability to use other airbrushes with the handheld compressor.  Definitely a win for the modeler in expanding on your airbrushing capabilities.  There was another airbrush offered at Amazon.com that included an airhose but also about $20.00 more than the other one that was reviewed.

I ordered the reviewed airbrush and there was a discount (on top of the existing discount) if you ordered another item from the same vendor. They had a 6' air hose that should work.

I can see using this on the bench for small airbrushing jobs where I don't need the full setup. It should also work well for "sandblasting" 3D prints with baking soda (in a container, of course)

Online The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 03:33:06 AM »
If you don't have a spray booth (looks in mirror) the portability means that you just walk outside and do what you need to do.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 05:59:27 AM »
I got mine today and the air valve doesn't work (air flows continuously). I attached my Iwata HP-C and it works well. Modest air flow, but not bad - ideal for its intended use.

I took the air valve apart and it's missing the o-ring that all other air valves of this design have... so nothing to really block the air holes. I contacted the company to see what they suggest. If they can't provide a replacement air valve, I'll return it to Amazon for a working one.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023, 05:35:18 AM »
The company replied and said "that's normal operation!" that's total BS. I returned it to Amazon and I'm getting this one instead.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 06:14:27 AM »
I too have one of these setups, very similar to what Frank has ordered, the second time. I tend to use it rarely, but it very handy for quick squirt at a club build day.

Technology will advance to where I reckon that these will largely replace the traditional compressor setup. Outside of spraying a 1/16 tank the capacity of the air compressor is mostly adequate for our needs. Just toss the $15 Airbrush that comes with them or put it aside as a metallics only airbrush if it works ok

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2023, 08:41:46 AM »
I just got the second one and it not only works as expected, it comes with a spare battery (not clear on the Amazon page).  Big improvement over the first one.

The pressure is fixed at 20 psi, which is fine. I haven't tried the airbrush yet, but my Iwata works well. It's a little noisier than the first one, but it comes with a short length of hose. The manual is better (not that it matters).