Author Topic: The More You Know... Tamiya Airbrush cleaner and Tamiya Extra Thin Cement  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Not having used my airbrush for a very long time so this comes as a pleasant surprise for me. 
Here is the link: YouTube > MOS6510 Models > Tamiya Airbrush cleaner / Extra Thin Cement - The Truth

The Tamiya Extra Thin Cement has been expensive so this appears to be a means to save some money on your modeling supplies. 

***edit for grammar error---jjf
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 04:57:28 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Thanks for posting that video! I tested it with a small styrene rod... and promptly dropped it into the container. I had to fish it out with tweezers. The airbrush cleaner definitely works as a glue!

Actone by itself works as a glue and it's pretty cheap, too. Both work fine with ABS and styrene and are far safer than MEK based glues (like the quick setting extra thin)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
Thanks for posting that video! I tested it with a small styrene rod... and promptly dropped it into the container. I had to fish it out with tweezers. The airbrush cleaner definitely works as a glue!

Actone by itself works as a glue and it's pretty cheap, too. Both work fine with ABS and styrene and are far safer than MEK based glues (like the quick setting extra thin)

The savings made on purchasing the airbrush cleaner fluid instead of the cement makes this very attractive.  Refilling the empty cement container with the airbrush cleaner = winning, plus one less glass container to send to the trash.  Adding the airbrush cleaner to other liquid cements may also be a way to extend the usefulness of near-empty liquid cement containers. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
I used the Tamiya airbrush thinner as intended just once... and could tell it had acetone in it, but didn't think much of it.

Since I use acrylics 99% of the time (and Testor's metalizers for the rest) I can clean my airbrush with a wide variety of cleaners: alcohol (denatured or isopropyl), Vallejo airbrush cleaner or the Iwata-Medea Airbrush Cleaner. All work great. For the occasional tough residue, I'll spray less than half an airbrush cup full of acetone.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
Re: The More You Know... Tamiya Airbrush cleaner and Tamiya Extra Thin Cement
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 03:06:08 AM »
I ran out of Tamiya Extra Thin at the beginning of my current project and rather than open a new bottle, I refilled the bottle with Tamiya Airbrush cleaner. It works as well as the Tamiya Extra thin. You wouldn't notice the difference.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 04:59:34 AM »
I ran out of Tamiya Extra Thin at the beginning of my current project and rather than open a new bottle, I refilled the bottle with Tamiya Airbrush cleaner. It works as well as the Tamiya Extra thin. You wouldn't notice the difference.
I have quite the collection of empty liquid model cement containers that I have held on to over the years.  Never could get rid of the things and this is by far the best method to "recycle" the these empty containers and continue to use the things again. 

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 06:02:16 AM »
I have quite the collection of empty liquid model cement containers that I have held on to over the years.  Never could get rid of the things and this is by far the best method to "recycle" the these empty containers and continue to use the things again.

Thanks for the tips, Frank and Jeff.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...