Author Topic: They're Halfway to WHIFs already - '50's FROG collection!  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Faust

• The man from the Sprue Lagoon...a natural here!
    • The Sprue Lagoon
They're Halfway to WHIFs already - '50's FROG collection!
« on: June 24, 2022, 09:44:15 AM »
When I say “silver”, what comes to mind? Is it a very precious metal? Is it the hair on an elderly gentleman? Or, is it the streamlined shape of a prowling fish?

One thing that should come to mind is fast ‘50s jets, with their penchant for bare-metal silver chrominess! And, just like those real jets, there were a lot of kits from that time that tried to capture the look with silver plastic!

I recently came across a quintet of such kits, and they’re silver in that they are supposed to look fast, they are aged, being from the ‘50s, and they are somewhat precious! For some really classic, early-run-not-retro old-skool modelling excitement, check out my score of 1950’s FROG jets at the link below! Vote on your favourite, too!

The best part is that some of these represent only prototypes, and thus allow you to take the aircraft in a different direction! Pretty cool for whiffing!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/1950s-frog-collection/

Nice...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 12:05:09 PM »
...Built the Fairey Delta c.1989-90, one of the 1964-66 AIRLINES issues, good kit. Don't build them for God's sake, worth more for collecting resale particularly if box, decals, instructions & plastic are in good condition! Favorite built FROG kit was Aeronautica Macchi C.202, Fairey Barracuda good as well if anything for "complexity" rare in early FROG kits, dead worst Martin B-26, horrid tail gun area fuselage molding never mind oversized & poorly molded supposed clear plastic gunner station, B-25 Mitchell kit OK but no interior detail never mind poorly proportioned landing gear parts, problem with just about every FROG kit I'd built. Most pined for build re-try was Heinkel 219, 1960s build complete disaster, foreswore building it during 1980s in favor of contemporary Revell kit, it & Ju 88A build favorites of mine then.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 09:16:22 PM by Retired In Kalifornia II »

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Re: They're Halfway to WHIFs already - '50's FROG collection!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 01:03:37 PM »
I agree, don't build them unless you really, really want to! Collectors would pay silly money at the right place so you could buy much better quality to build. At least that's my theory.
Awesome collection and great score!

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 09:32:39 PM »
Some years ago while in a supermarket, I picked up a bunch of Testors kits from the toy department. Turns out they were all Hawk re-pops and just like your marvelous find, all were of prototypes too. The Javelin kit I got was actually a model of the 2nd prototype, but what amazed me even more, you could use most of an Airfix Javelin to enhance it as the main parts were practically identical.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 09:35:04 PM by kitnut617 »

Time Machine Time
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 09:32:46 PM »
I agree, don't build them unless you really, really want to! Collectors would pay silly money at the right place so you could buy much better quality to build. At least that's my theory.
Awesome collection and great score!
Knowing now what "antique plastic" sell for on eBay I'd just collect off-shelf, store for sale years later. Half dozen never opened 1966 first-issue Airfix-Craftmaster Aston Martin DB5s worth rhodium weight, 4th hand kit I'd bought c.2008 maybe two .9999 Silver kilo bars today.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 12:48:05 AM »
Usually I would say kits were made to be built but these are so nice in the box.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 03:27:29 AM »
I will be different.  Build them and enjoy the fun!!!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 06:57:00 AM »
the Scimitar (if the kit is like the box illustration) cries out to be done as a "FG.99" version.

I still have the last Revell repop of the Vixen :-* which keeps going in the sale pile then back in the stash :icon_crap:

Have a Frog E.E. Lightning in a good box.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 08:12:32 PM »
Faust,

If you bought them because you want to build those particular kits - Build them!
If you bought them because you want to build them to ... irritate ... collectors - Build them!
If you bought them to collect them - Keep them safe, in a cool dry place!
If you bought them with an eye to on-selling them at a profit - Sell them!
If you bought them on the spur of the moment, with no real idea what you wanted to do with them - Figure it out!

Your kits!
Your decision!

:smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2022, 09:34:44 PM »
Erm, I've got an EE Canberra that is in a box like that which is up for sale ---- <<whistles into thin air>>

Nope, Didn't Get Rid Of 'Em All...
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2022, 11:51:19 AM »
AIRLINES (FROG) 3903 Aeronautica Macchi C.202 1964
(Ain't mine but saved ONE of 23 given away November 2015 sealed in shrink wrap)
Absolutely couldn't part with my most favorite model kit of the early years, WAY too much pain involved.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2022, 12:20:18 PM »
That's a good reason too!