Author Topic: Gingie's Build Thread  (Read 198164 times)

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
Re: Gingie's Build Thread
« Reply #475 on: February 12, 2017, 06:08:14 AM »
Yoikes Paul! Luckily the only wall I moved was non-load bearing. Its gradually coming together...I've flipped the breakers back on and tested all the outlets. All is good there. The bad news - the zip cutter nicked some in-wall speaker wire (which I repaired) and my Cat5e cable...which I think I can splice together, with the help of an optivisor and a steady hand.

The low provide LED are in, and I love em. They are only as thick as a sheet of drywall, so I was free to sight them pretty much where I wanted. Only drawing 9 watts, they provide loads of light. So much so, that I installed a compatible dimmer switch for the eight that light up the main area here.

Under the stairs is a nook for my youngest daughter to hand out and read. I had a couple left over lights and re-did the ceiling in here so her light would be parallel to the floor. It too is on a dimmer as even one light is quite bright.

The water meter and sump are at the bottom of the basement stairs, and there was no point in finishing the area around them. But, it was too big an area to let go to waste, so I slammed together a work table that will sit behind a double door. Added an outlet and light/switch in case I decide to upgrade its purpose. I think I may use it for homebrew supplies as my current system of rummaging through large plastic totes is grating on me.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #476 on: February 12, 2017, 06:19:47 AM »
Looking good.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #477 on: February 12, 2017, 05:58:14 PM »
Nice job, mate! Looking good! :) :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #478 on: February 22, 2017, 04:21:11 AM »
Niiiice!

Offline Gingie

« Reply #479 on: July 16, 2017, 03:15:28 AM »
slowly slowly catchy monkey....

The wife was giving me the evil eye about a lack of progress, so 20 hours & 2 busted knees later the floor is in! I picked up some doors too, only to discover I had measured my rough openings wrong! Yargh! I framed them for the door + 1", when I should have framed them for the door FRAME + 1". As a result, all my openings are 1/2 too  narrow for common pre-hung doors and I will have to either build them out, or move studs and widen, or pony up the cash for custom doors (about 2x the price). Such a rookie mistake, I'm still stewing about it. :icon_nif: Also, my doors are 1/4" too tall for the openings. Not a biggie as I can easily cut them down, but if I'd thought to go with 78" doors... bah... on to the pics!

Here's the space age underlay!  As used on the hardwood floors of the Apollo 11 LEM

The floor is an engineered Acacia, supposed to be a decently hard wood. Lowes had it on sale and was having a 'no tax day', so my floor came in waay under budget, saving over $2k. Och!

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #480 on: July 16, 2017, 03:26:06 AM »
 :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #481 on: July 16, 2017, 03:59:03 AM »
Looking good
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #482 on: July 16, 2017, 09:32:33 AM »
 :) and $2K for models! ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #483 on: July 16, 2017, 03:32:01 PM »
Nice work and that flooring looks spot on.  :)
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #484 on: July 18, 2017, 01:27:06 PM »
Jealous much :o

Offline Gingie

« Reply #485 on: August 28, 2017, 01:27:48 AM »
I'm going to be getting even less modelling done now...

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #486 on: August 28, 2017, 05:05:40 AM »
What a cutie!
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #487 on: August 28, 2017, 10:11:33 AM »
Awww! Innit cute! :D

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #488 on: August 28, 2017, 11:40:45 AM »
Really cute and with such nice, large, paws.  I'm sure this pup will be all sorts of encouragement.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #489 on: August 28, 2017, 07:19:57 PM »
So cute!!! The puppy's name?

I am assuming your daughters have signed the officials documents indicating they will feed him/her, bathe, walk and clean up all messes for a minimum of 10 years?  ;D
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #490 on: August 28, 2017, 08:22:44 PM »
 :smiley:

Offline Gingie

« Reply #491 on: August 28, 2017, 09:37:14 PM »
So cute!!! The puppy's name?

I am assuming your daughters have signed the officials documents indicating they will feed him/her, bathe, walk and clean up all messes for a minimum of 10 years?  ;D

Ha! His name is Lucky, and it was my daughters and wife who for the past 3 years have been on me to get a dog. I've been using my veto power, but their war of attrition won & I gave in. So far, the picking up of poop has not lost its novelty, to the point where they fight over who picks it up. I *know* that ain't gonna last!

Offline Zaskar24

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #492 on: August 29, 2017, 06:19:45 AM »
That is a great looking pup. With paws that size wait until he still thinks he is a lap dog when fully grown!

Offline Gingie

« Reply #493 on: September 01, 2017, 08:01:43 PM »
^ I think he'll be over 70 lbs fully grown! Already introduced him to flowing water in some of the calmer parts of the Ottawa river. He's very much a Lab...we had a hard time getting him back on dry land!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #494 on: September 02, 2017, 04:44:13 AM »
Wow a 1/1 scale dog and the weathering is just perfect!

Is there anything Gingie can't build?

Brian da Basher

Offline Gingie

« Reply #495 on: December 11, 2017, 02:47:22 AM »
After several designs, I finally settled on a layout for the model area. The design process literally went full circle, but it took 6 layouts and a few weeks to get back to my original "U"-shaped layout. I used the Ikea home planner app. Its not the greatest bit of software, but it does the job. I splurged a bit on the drawer sildes and cabinet doors / drawer fronts. Spending $ here can add 30% easy to a project like this, ie, some single doors ranged from $10 to $70 for the same size.

Cabinets & drawers from Ikea. Left wall is where the PC & photo station will be, centre wall painting (there is a window above it, not pictured, where the fume extractor will go), and right wall is the build area. The wall cabinets have around 25' of LED light strips that be placed under cabinet in 4 rows.

The plan is to build the counter top out of laminated press board topped with cork flooring tiles

Gray cork tiles:

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #496 on: December 12, 2017, 03:47:40 AM »
Very nice indeed.

To cut costs on cabinetry, might I suggest your local Habitat for Humanity Restore? If they have what you need, the cost can be a very small fraction of what new costs. The down side is that you may not get the exact cabinets you imagined and they could be a bit beat up, to boot.

But they will be a heckuvalot cheaper than any new cabinets. I have bought them on several occasions for shop applications.

But, sometimes, you just want new. I can dig that, too. Just a thought.

Paul

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #497 on: December 13, 2017, 08:02:36 AM »
... topped with cork flooring tiles

Excellent detailing on that tile ... very life-like  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Gingie

« Reply #498 on: December 17, 2017, 04:19:14 AM »
Some more 1:1 scale building...at least I don't have to cut the parts from the sprues.

Feeling a little like that Friedrich Nietzsche quote about fighting monsters and staring into an abyss right now...

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #499 on: December 17, 2017, 09:08:16 AM »
This IKEA, right?  No wonder you're feeling lost...   ;)