Author Topic: Warhammer 40K Casemate Basilisk  (Read 6431 times)

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
Warhammer 40K Casemate Basilisk
« on: December 07, 2018, 05:41:58 PM »
I thought I might as well make an entry....

This is something I've had lying around for a while now. On the way back from a tournament at Warhammer World with the whole club, I may or may not have left the gun platform and shield on a train...  :-[ To make things even better, it wasn't even my Basilisk, but club property....

Rather than purchase an entirely new tank for the club, I decided to do something more interesting (and cheaper - shhhh) and build a casemate structure for it. I've been working on it since the end of summer or thereabouts, and it is actually at a further state than these pictures show, this was just my 'prototype' stage to test the dimensions out with cheaper (and easier to cut) materials.

Classmate Basilisk by SomeDuckWithAnUltimax, on Flickr

I shall upload more photos of the build process as soon as I get round to putting them on Flickr.

Thanks for looking!
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

• Now known as "Ducky"
Re: Warhammer 40K Casemate Basilisk
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 07:12:04 PM »
Here are a couple of photos of how I built it - a plasticard structure made to vaguely the same shape as the cardboard prototype was. I still had the gun barrel and mounting from the kit, so these were re-used.

Cutting and gluing the plasticard is a relatively easy process, but I reckon I spent at least eight hours with a file making it all fit together before I took these photos, and then at least another two hours after I took them smoothing it out in places.
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 12:04:13 AM »
That looks good - how thick is the plastic card? It looks pretty thick.

IO'm lazy and I've been using a Silhouette cutter when I need shapes cut out of styrene. It's not great, but usually slightly better and definitely faster than cutting by hand.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 04:46:26 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 09:10:26 AM »
Frank, the plasticard is a combination of 1mm (for external faces) and 2mm (for internal components). I built it like that cause it's for tabletop gaming and even more so cause its tabletop gaming at a club, where people tend not to be as careful as if they were using their own stuff.

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 07:53:29 PM »
Here's what it looked like a couple of days ago:

CasemateBasiliskcamo by SomeDuckWithAnUltimax, on Flickr

CasemateBasiliskcamo by SomeDuckWithAnUltimax, on Flickr

Since then, I tried adding some decals to it - but they did not go well. Games Workshop decals are really not well made at all. The film is really thick, the printing is really fragile and tears just from touching it accidentally (before it's even been in water), and unlike all the decals I've ever used (except the ones I printed myself - which were somehow of higher quality) the film covers the whole sheet rather than just the area around the decal. Anyway, they looked so awful when I eventually managed to get them onto the tank that I've ended up scratching them off with a fingernail (surprisingly easy to do) and I'm going to just paint over whatever I can't scratch off. I'll upload some pictures of the finished tank later today, I reckon.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 07:57:38 PM »
Looks good, Ducky! :smiley:

Can you print your own decals for this build? ???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 09:31:44 PM »
I could, but I’ve run out of paper and it would take longer for more to arrive than this GB lasts...

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 10:28:27 PM »
Fair enough but you could always swing the build over into next year's Clear your workbench GB. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 01:52:17 AM »
It's looking great! Like A Warhammer M109 SPG.

That decal sheet sounds like it was either printed on an inkjet (thick film is a usual giveaway) or ALPS (or color laser) printed on cheap decal paper. ALPS decals will be a continuous film as well, but they can use good decal paper, like Tango Papa.

You can try spraying the decal with Future or an equivalent clear acrylic or with a liquid decal film. That should protect them.

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 03:17:04 AM »
Thanks for the advice. In future it’ll probably be helpful, but, right now it still leaves two problems:
1. All the decals have already disintegrated;
2. That would likely make the film even thicker, leaving further problems.

Ah well, it looks fine without any insignia.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 03:19:02 AM »
Looks good

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 01:17:28 AM »
Phew, I've cut this one pretty close!

Upon painting over the decals I had it all ready to take final photographs, when I realised I'd forgotten to add the hull gun...   :-[

Having scrounged one from a Deathstrike Missile Launcher, I painted it in a mad rush last night (since I'm flying to Tokyo tomorrow and this would be my last chance to get any modelling done before the New Year. So, here it is, my completed Basilisk Self-Propelled Gun with a casemate superstructure. My thanks to everyone for looking, and Merry Christmas!

Basilisk Final by SomeDuckWithAnUltimax, on Flickr

My thanks to everyone for looking, and Merry Christmas!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 03:35:34 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2018, 04:03:06 AM »
I like it very much!
What kit is the base (tracks and hull) from?

Antonio

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 04:14:25 AM »
It looks great! What green is that? Tamiya NATO green?

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 06:26:19 AM »
I like it very much!
What kit is the base (tracks and hull) from?

Antonio

The base kit is a Warhammer 40K Basilisk (a standard one) which itself is based on the WH40K Chimera IFV.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Imperial-Guard-Basilisk

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 06:34:06 AM »
It looks great! What green is that? Tamiya NATO green?

Thanks! The colours are as follows:

Green: Humbrol 30 acrylic (the quality control on Humbrol Acrylics tends not to be too great so if you buy one there’s no guarantee it’ll be quite the same shade as this one...).
Camouflage: Humbrol 93 (“Desert Yellow”) acrylic and Citadel Abaddon Black.
Tracks: Humbrol Matt Black (either 22 or 33, I can’t remember) acrylic, dry brushed with Humbrol 53 acrylic.
Metal bits: Tamiya Gunmetal, Humbrol 53, Tamiya Flat Aluminium and Citadel Leadbelcher on various parts.
The gun barrel was dry brushed with Abaddon Black to simulate soot.

All paints were applied with a hairy stick. I first built this thing ages ago, and I’ve since moved away from hand-brushed base coats and Humbrol paints for most purposes. I’d forgotten just how horrible the Humbrol acrylics were to work with: I hate them. I’ve been spoiled by Vallejo, Tamiya and the slightly more expensive Citadel paints and forgotten my scale modelling roots, those hateful, non-airbrushable, thick, grainy tinlets of varying colour and lids that don’t fit. The only reason I used the Humbrol paints this time was so that it all looked correct together, with the whole vehicle done in the same colour. 

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 08:16:07 AM »
Wow talk about a Big Frickin' Gun!

Great stuff! Love the painting of the metal and camo.

Brian da Basher