Author Topic: Schützenpanzer Jaguar (SPz 15-2)  (Read 3354 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Schützenpanzer Jaguar (SPz 15-2)
« on: December 10, 2016, 11:03:51 AM »
Schützenpanzer Jaguar (SPz 15-2)

Not too happy with this illustration but wanted to explore the idea. The scenario is that West Germany wanted a Mechanized Infantry Combat Vehicle to augment the unreliable Schützenpanzer Lang HS.30 (SPz-12-3). Henschel began design of this new Schützenpanzer based on components from the Jagdpanzer Kanone 90mm.

Deliveries of the new SPz 15-2 to Bundeswehr Panzergrenadier units begin in 1966 but numbers are small. The superior SPz Marder begins replacing the SPz-12-3 in 1971. By 1976, all SPz Jaguars had been consigned to second-line units (often replacing M113s). In 1980, the SPz 15-2 was withdrawn from Bundeswehr service and most of the surviving Schützenpanzer Jaguars were donated to Portugal just as that country rejoined NATO exercises.
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: Schützenpanzer Jaguar (SPz 15-2)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 05:04:28 PM »
Oooh oooh oooh.. great idea.. I have a spare Luchs turret somewhere.... I think you have just triggered a future build :D

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 12:19:44 PM »
Cheers buzzbomb. Most gratifying to think that this concept may metamorphose into styrene! Looking forward to that  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 08:28:31 PM »
Very interesting...it's gotten the old wheels a-turning in my head for something similar for my beloved USMC.