Author Topic: 1/48 Sea Beau  (Read 36921 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: 1/48 Sea Beau
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2019, 09:49:58 PM »
Just running Testors' Dullcote through my airbrush for the first time &, I must say, I'm impressed! :smiley:

Always knew it was good from the rattle can but it's just as good with my poor airbrushing technique, much better than the Tamiya rattle cans I've been using, both for coverage & not reacting with the paints it's covering.

If you can get it, I'd recommend using it!

Of course, it may just be that I'm half-stoned from the fumes but, well, that could be a bonus, too. ;)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 09:52:25 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2019, 04:34:33 AM »
I'm not pushing it too fast, just doing it too long (according to SWMBO). ;)

Funny, from that source, complaints like those usually go the other way around  ;D

Of course, it may just be that I'm half-stoned from the fumes but, well, that could be a bonus, too. ;)

Hehe  :D  I know what you mean about the Tamiya rattle can Flat clear. Somehow they never quite match the effect of Dullcote :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2019, 01:58:59 PM »
Well, unless a miracle happens, this is shelved for the duration or for all time.

What happened? Well, one of my usual end of build tricks - after removing all the tape & liquid mast from the clear bits, I test fitted the parts back on the model, then flipped the model over to do some work on a small fix-up job & "tink" something hit something. I'd removed the gunners canopy & the props, they were on the bench, but the pilots canopy is AWOL. I've all but torn the room apart (I've removed & checked the boxes & sweep the floor & under the bench supports), checked my clothing from last night, cleaned up the work bench ... Nothing!

I'm afraid the vinyl monster may have had it for a midnight snack. :o

So, as it stands, if I find the canopy, I'll finish it, if I don't, it's spare parts sometime in the future. :icon_crap:

To say I'm f___ed off doesn't even come close to describing how I feel right now.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2019, 02:11:48 PM »
Sorry to hear this, such a bummer.  :icon_crap:
Incident does not make your builds any lesser quality for the rest us to enjoy.
Lot of impressive building in Sea Beau.  :smiley:  :smiley:  :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2019, 04:27:55 PM »
Mate, that is so sad.
Not making to SA Expo this year. Bring it to the Aussie Model Expo in June 2020 ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2019, 04:55:30 PM »
OK, f___cked-off-plus has been replaced by "I'll be buggered if this is going to beat me!" :icon_ninja:

I'm stealing the canopy cover from my other Tamiya Beaufighter. I'll be painting it up & fitting it tonight! Just try to gobble up this one, vinyl monster! :icon_punal:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2019, 12:20:01 AM »
Well, she's done! :D

No time for pictures tonight - I have to go to bed so I can get up to go to the Expo ... which starts in just over 6 hours! :o

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2019, 01:35:49 AM »
@Old Wombat - Now you have the perfect excuse to apply some special treatment to your second Beaufighter.  Bubble canopy perhaps?  Find a suitable size canopy/windscreen from another aircraft and see how it fits. 

Also, I feel your pain and anguish having lost a clear part and rediscovering it in the worst way possible by stepping on it and breaking it in the process.  I hope you do not rediscover your clear parts in this fashion. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2019, 06:58:46 AM »
And Falcon 1/48 set No.40 has Beaufighter canopies, it says in the list "Beaufighter Variants"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2019, 09:24:46 PM »
Photo's of the Sea Beau taken at the SAPMA Expo today:

And I can tell you that none of the 3 builds I took placed. ::)

However, I may have influenced SAPMA to have a "Military What If ..." category next year! :smiley:

PS: Oh, & I've already bought another Beaufighter, at the Expo. ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 09:26:29 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2019, 10:29:15 PM »
Nice work! Really looks the part! Far better than what I can accomplish these days

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2019, 10:49:57 PM »
Looking good!  Also, getting a new what-if category for the show is also good and long overdue. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2019, 01:24:26 AM »
That's a real looker and one of your best yet, Mr Wombat!

That Beau is worthy of a blue ribbon!

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2019, 02:23:38 AM »
Ooo, that is gorgeous  :smiley:

And the canopy story? Did the Carpet Monster surrender its prize?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2019, 05:21:21 AM »
On a scale of 1 to 5, I'd rate that an 11. Gorgeous.

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2019, 06:12:27 AM »
There's a lot of work out there and the result is impressive !
Great job sir !
Alex

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2019, 06:40:03 AM »
Awesome job! Such a terrific looking build!

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2019, 08:12:38 AM »
Just stunning  :-*

Do you have any pics of the arrester hook installation, I looked through the thread but didn't see anything although you mentioned it's from a Tracker.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2019, 09:32:02 AM »
So I came looking for the Sea Beau . . . . . . .
Not my preferred scale but . . . . . . .

OMG that's a brilliant bit of work Wombat  :P :-* great navalising modifications and a great finish, a very believable WHIFF all 'round  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Methinks it shoulda scored at least a gold, maybe some bias here  ;) , the work that went into it, and you chopped up a Tamigawa kit to boot (impressive  8);D shoulda impressed those who judge  :smiley: :smiley:

I have to agree there really should be a Military Whiff category in model shows throughout Oz. It's bad enough WHIFFs are lumped into and have to compete with Sci-Fi & Movie Subject categories here in NSW and the builds/ideas behind them get lost being judged with popular Sci-Fi & Movie subjects.
Maybe try again next year when they do have a WHIFF Category?

As I said, great build man, shoulda scored.  :smiley: :smiley:
Now back to an Airfix PR Mk.XIX (and others) to be finished for the Canberra Show  :smiley:
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2019, 10:14:35 AM »
You waz robbed Mr Wombat, that's a showstopper beaufighter in anyone's eyes, brilliant visualisation beautifully modelled.

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2019, 10:36:25 AM »
Guy, that come up a treat. Well worth the effort

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2019, 04:52:25 PM »
Thank you all, gentlemen (especially, FAAMAN ;))! :smiley:

In all honesty I never expected it to win &, after trying my hand at judging on Saturday night, I now know exactly why it didn't (& never will) win any prizes.

That doesn't worry me, though, as I built it to make me happy - which it did & is (especially hearing "experten" debating about whether or not the Beaufighter had ever been built with folding wings). ;D

Note: There will be a What If... category next year, as I have pledged to sponsor it (financially - my name will go on another category, Medium Scale Multi Prop's I think they said).

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2019, 07:28:12 PM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2019, 08:01:09 PM »
Beyond awesome, is there a back story?