Author Topic: Last flight of the Battle Carrier Shinigami  (Read 39990 times)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
Last flight of the Battle Carrier Shinigami
« on: November 04, 2013, 04:26:35 PM »
Hi guys

I was perusing the shelves of my LHS the other day and I  came across this new looking kit from (of all companies) Bandai.

It is the self described Astro Battleship/Carrier from the Space Battle Ship Yamato 2199 series. It looks much better than some of the earlier Yamato series ships. I was quite drawn to the sleek lines of this ship and it's almost how I would envision a space carrier to look like

I am currently thinking up ways to detail it up and of course light it. The carrier deck looks easy enough to light, but the engines look quite challenging to say the least
It comes with another 2 ships - for which I have no idea of their use let alone type. I'm sure an avid fan of the series would be able to tell me...
First up, the parts:

and the instructions book. It is entirely in Japanese, but the pics speak for themselves, so I won't need a translator :)

this will be the version I'll do:

Not sure when I'll start it though.

As I said, I'm not normally into this kind of sci-fi, but I really like the design of this ship.

It was a little bit expensive though - $69.99 AU but I think it'll make a worthy subject. I might do a WIP if anyone is interested.

Let me know what you think if this ship - good or bad :)

Si
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:39:36 PM by Madhatter »
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Gelvades Class Battle Carrier - 1/1000 scale Darold
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 04:52:23 PM »
Wow!  I am jealous!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 05:55:16 PM »
Wow!  I am jealous!

Same, that looks awesome!!!!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 06:07:39 PM »
WOW,,, and looks like could be built/displayed/treated as a water ship, not space ship.   :)
1/700 scale kit would be nice.

Appreciate you having ruler in pictures  :))
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:37:55 PM by finsrin »

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 07:19:59 PM »
your right - it could be displayed that way., but that would kinda detract from the whole point of it really :)
However, I do agree that 1/700 would be nice - and so would 1/350!  >:D

Offline PR19_Kit

• Likes to brag about how long his...wings are.
  • Made it at last!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 07:27:25 PM »
I'm tempted to ask why it would need a 'flight' deck if it was operating in space, but that would be a tad JMN-ish.  :)

Sure looks impressive though.
Regards
Kit

--------------------------
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 07:56:03 PM »
"JMN-ish"?

Offline PR19_Kit

• Likes to brag about how long his...wings are.
  • Made it at last!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 09:38:38 PM »
"JMN-ish"?

Perhaps that hasn't come across from the WhatIf site.

'JMN' = Joyless Modelling Numpty (or other suitable last expletive....) and means those who just don't GET our kind of modelling. In the model railway world in the UK they're called 'Rivet Counters'.

Two years ago at Telford I saw and heard a classic JMN who was examining my B777-900 (which is 1/144 scale and just over 3 ft long). He bent down to read the backstory while shaking his head, got half way through and stood up, exclaiming 'That's stupid, just STUPID!'  :)

RESULT!  ;)
Regards
Kit

--------------------------
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 01:50:47 AM »
I think its a lot better than the original kit, which to be fair is over thirty years old... The two mini-ships are, ( I think - this is
memory from some odd years ago as an anime' fan. ) a bomber - the long=winged twin carries something called a "Drill Missile"
which I think is specifically designed to plug into the bow of the Yamato and foul up its Wave motion gun. The more discoid craft is
the 'Smite' Ship (Space Matter Something Transport Something...though that may come from the American "Starblazers" adaptation.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 03:10:14 AM »
That kit looks like a lot of fun and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with it, Madhatter!

Brian da Basher

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 07:10:45 AM »
"JMN-ish"?

Perhaps that hasn't come across from the WhatIf site.

'JMN' = Joyless Modelling Numpty (or other suitable last expletive....) and means those who just don't GET our kind of modelling. In the model railway world in the UK they're called 'Rivet Counters'.

Two years ago at Telford I saw and heard a classic JMN who was examining my B777-900 (which is 1/144 scale and just over 3 ft long). He bent down to read the backstory while shaking his head, got half way through and stood up, exclaiming 'That's stupid, just STUPID!'  :)

RESULT!  ;)

Ahh - now I get you. Yes, have had my fair share of those before. Like you, I quite enjoy winding those guys up - they just can't comprehend WIF's or imagination of any kind outside of what it currently on the flight line. I love watching their little heads explode when a panel line is out by 5 degrees...  ;D

I have found out through other forums that this is one of the "bad" guys ships - which is fine by me. I really need to watch this new series of 2199. I haven't even seen the movie yet - must find that one somewhere. Somehow, I don't think the local Video EZY will have that one in stock..

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 12:01:33 PM »
..... from (of all companies) Bandai.

I can't even begin to imagine who else would kit this subject !

That one on the white sprue looks kinda Cylon-ish (hint ! >:D )

The rest looks very intriguing ! but rather expensive !  (will look at HobbyEasy's price ;) )

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 01:42:49 PM »
LOL - yeah I should explain myself there. Before I bought this kit and realised that Bandai made these and other such kit subjects, I only previously thought Bandai made toys - not models.
I live a very shallow modelling life really don't I?  :-[

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 08:29:54 PM »
I have made a small start on this tonight by marking out where I am going to be cutting out unnecessary plastic which in turn will facilitate the carrier deck lighting.  Once I have actually cut it out etc, I'll start posting pics. I need to try and work out how the heck I'm going to get the intake lighting to work! Looking at the box art and some pics I found online, I need the light to not just come out the hole in the front but to appear to emanate from the sides. I have no idea on how that will work.

As for other ideas, I'm going to drop the deck lift on the front left hand side to be on the lower hangar (currently molded up top) and scratch up some hangar detail on both sides. I'll try and get some fiber optics in there as well to add some interest.

Looks like I'll need to start stocking up on some 1/700 and 1/1200 ships kits again. Fortunately, I still have 30 feet of optic left over but will need to buy some more LEDs and SMDs of different colors.
I'm also going to try and get s spotlight effect on the bow and midships lettering. That's where SMD's will come in handy I think.

I've been looking at the bridge with a none-to-small level of skepticism - the "windows" are tiny and oddly shaped and just adding fibers won't cut it. I'm thinking I may need to recast the entire bridge section in a frosted clear resin and add a light inside that while masking only the windows. I'm going to ask some guys in my club if they do clear resin casting - or at least know of anyone who does. It seems I may be better learning how to do this myself I think.

I've just literally had a thought - as I have been writing, it has occurred to me that the frosted clear resin idea also could be the answer to the intake lighting issue as well. Hmmmm - I will ponder this idea a bit more I think.....

MH

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 11:04:30 PM »
Let me suggest you look for some lightning gels. They come in many many different colors ,textures and types.  Some can be used to defuse light as well, like the engines of Han Solo's ship. You should be able to find some at any good camera shoppe. If you live in a large city, look for a shop that sells or rent stage lighting.  Hope this is of some help to you.
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 03:07:18 PM »
Lighting gels huh? I've never heard of it until now. I'll have to Google it to see how it works
Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 11:37:45 PM »
I've been looking at the bridge with a none-to-small level of skepticism - the "windows" are tiny and oddly shaped and just adding fibers won't cut it. I'm thinking I may need to recast the entire bridge section in a frosted clear resin and add a light inside that while masking only the windows. I'm going to ask some guys in my club if they do clear resin casting - or at least know of anyone who does. It seems I may be better learning how to do this myself I think.

Clear resins can be difficult to deal with. They can require high temperatures (50C or so) or are more hazardous than regular resin, or require vacuum casting to eliminate bubbles. There are some clear resins that are fairly easy to work with, but they never quite harden. To add to the fun, some clear resins do not like platinum cure silicones and unless you really search, you'll end up with a gooey mess that never quite solidifies.

My favorite material is clear acrylic powder that uses a monomer to solidify. It's commonly used by women to repair acrylic fingernails. The main disadvantage is the cost, but the material works well with styrene and can be polished and dyed.

Offline father ennis

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 09:27:19 AM »
Lighting gels are nothing more than sheets of colored material. At least some are there are many different kinds for different purposes. You get the same effect by using typing paper strips to defuse the light for the engines on a Malium Falcon. Gels change the light. They can change colors, add texture ,things like that even reflect light back.  They are used in stage lighting ,often for color.

BTW, I was looking at the Spaceship Modeler website and found there is a whole series of these kits from all sides. They are a bit pricy but that is mitigated by the fact they all have several ships. I must say you have temped me greatly with these kits. While I've not seen the series they are from but I have always been a fan of the old Starblazers/ Starship Yamato series and I wish I could watch them today
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 09:44:29 AM by father ennis »
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 09:00:52 PM »
OK - I  might just have to look into that - thank you! :D

Well, I have been very slowly plugging away at this. Most of my time has been spent cutting and chopping, but I have managed to get the carrier deck lighting installed and have started to scratch build the small bay below the deck. I have cut the elevator from the top deck and placed it down below - I thought that looked more like what it's supposed to be - otherwise it would just blend in with the deck.
Forgive the poor photos - I only get to photograph when it's night time and I don't have the correct temperature lights yet. However, you'll get the idea:

Well, that's all for now. I'll try to take better photos next time - or at least during daylight hours :D

Cheers

MH

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 07:29:56 AM »
I couldn't stand those pictures, so I took some better ones this morning:

Still have some more detail to add to this area, and that should be done later today.
Cheers

MH

Offline father ennis

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »
Well my friend I might be able to help you out. I picked up some sample packets of different kind of gels and other filters many years ago when I was putting on conventions and shows. They aren't very big but if your interested PM me with your address and I can send you some.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 06:56:34 AM »
thankyou  ;) - PM sent

The bay is now finished. I've tried to make it look bigger than what it is by creating layers. The whole area is only 4cm long by 1.5cm deep. I was going to add roof lighting but then I realise that the carrier deck sits right on top of that roof, so I  would be able to sit it on top of the fibers, so I had to ditch that idea. I'm thinking I might add some floor lighting to the area by the elevator, but I'm not to sure it'll be worth it. Once the roof goes on, you can't see much of this area anyway. I haven't gone crazy with the painting because as I said, you won't see much of this once the roof goes on, so it would be a waste of time to detail paint it.

Time to keep plugging away at this. Not sure what will be the next update yet. Might look at the other bay to see what I can do with that one :D

MH

Offline father ennis

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 08:27:12 AM »
Did the bay details come with the kit or did you make them ?  After seeing your kit, I'm wanting to get one from that serie. Maybe for Christmas. I just bought a bunch from Squadron and blew my modeling budget there with this past week's sale.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 08:35:07 AM »
no - none of the details come with the kit - they are all my own additions using parts from 1/700 and  1/1200 scale ship kits, 0.20, 0.30, 0.40, 0.60, and 0.100 strip styrene

I have never watched the series either, but I really like the design of this particular ship. Not sure what it is exactly that I like, but I do :D

Offline father ennis

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 08:49:29 AM »
It's the heavy carrier of the bad guys. They were always getting blown up in the episodes I've seen. They had another ship that was a destroyer,I think, that the crews all wore red shirts ! LOL! They blew up bunches in every episode !