Author Topic: Tilt-Rotor Aircraft  (Read 226599 times)

Offline Flyer

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: Tilt-Rotor Aircraft
« Reply #250 on: August 09, 2014, 12:51:41 AM »
cool :)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #251 on: August 09, 2014, 01:31:15 AM »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Flyer

« Reply #252 on: August 22, 2014, 07:53:03 AM »
not a tilt rotor but a tilt wing UAV I found on facebook

it's called Greased Lightning

it appears to be suspended in a sling, but I think it looks neat.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #253 on: August 22, 2014, 11:40:17 AM »
Looks like it may be a proof of concept vehicle for something larger to me. 8)

Either that or a replacement for the SR-71. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #254 on: August 22, 2014, 05:22:18 PM »
Looking at it, my initial thought was "Tu-95 BEAR".   ;)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #255 on: August 29, 2014, 07:27:47 AM »
sci-fi from the world of Ma.K. ....

Offline Flyer

« Reply #256 on: August 29, 2014, 08:33:19 AM »
cool, looks sort of like a tilt rotor Vought XF5U

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #257 on: August 29, 2014, 08:36:21 AM »
sci-fi from the world of Ma.K. ....
Looks cool but I suspect weight and balance is a nightmare, even with fly-by-wire.

Offline Flyer

« Reply #258 on: August 29, 2014, 08:48:28 AM »
The falx hybrid-electric tilt-rotor

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #259 on: November 02, 2014, 03:18:08 AM »
This may have been posted before:  Bell - Boeing SV-22 "Anti-submarine warfare" variant from the book "Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey (An Aeroguide Special)" by Anthony M. Thornborough:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #260 on: November 02, 2014, 04:50:28 AM »
SV-22 needs floats ! ;)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #261 on: November 04, 2014, 12:13:20 AM »
This may have been posted before:  Bell - Boeing SV-22 "Anti-submarine warfare" variant from the book "Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey (An Aeroguide Special)" by Anthony M. Thornborough:

Didn't one of the manufacturers do a kit of this?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #262 on: November 04, 2014, 12:58:09 AM »

Didn't one of the manufacturers do a kit of this?
ESCI *(AMT/Ertl) had a variation on the V-22 theme that included some odd looking racks for a quartet of even stranger looking torpedo shapes.  The only different between the standard ESCI V-22 Osprey and the ASW version was the decals and that extra portion of sprue with the torpedos and stores racks. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #263 on: November 04, 2014, 02:13:40 AM »
ESCI *(AMT/Ertl) had a variation on the V-22 theme that included some odd looking racks for a quartet of even stranger looking torpedo shapes.

Tell me about it, got one of those I'm kit-bashing into an AEW type

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #264 on: November 04, 2014, 04:22:06 AM »
ESCI *(AMT/Ertl) had a variation on the V-22 theme that included some odd looking racks for a quartet of even stranger looking torpedo shapes.

You're not the only one.  I'm looking ot add dipping sonar, sonobuoy dispensers, and a deploable MAD "bomb".  Definitely need better looking torpedos, though.  I'll probalby replace the existing racks with something derived from SIkorsky ESSS pylons.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #265 on: November 04, 2014, 06:17:58 AM »
You're not the only one.  I'm looking ot add dipping sonar, sonobuoy dispensers, and a deploable MAD "bomb".  Definitely need better looking torpedos, though.  I'll probalby replace the existing racks with something derived from SIkorsky ESSS pylons.

I was looking at using the UH-60 Black Hawk ESSS parts for that same purpose.  Not quite sure where to apply them though.  A friend of mine back in Indiana built an MV-22 with Pave Low features that included the external fuel tanks and pylons from the MH-53 that were attached on the sponsons just above the main gear on the Osprey.  They really looked good at the time and along with a few other bits and pieces from the Pave Low bird that were attached to the top and bottom of the fuselage and a nice coat of dark green overall it looked quite convincing. 

Most of the parts you require for an ASW Osprey could be sourced from one of the Lynx HAS, Sea King, Sea Hawk, or, Sea Sprite kits that have the parts included for the ASW mission.  The dipping SONAR and the deployable MAD sensor being two of the most common parts in most cases.  If you are wanting some kind of radome affixed to the Osprey you have a couple of choices on location.  Add it on as an extended nose as suggested in the image above?  Perhaps under the fuselage as flown on the Sea Sprite and Sea Hawk LAMPS birds?  On top of the fuselage or attached to the rear loading ramp?  Plenty of options on the location just need to make it fit in with the rest of the concept. 

Decent torpedo shapes in 1:72nd scale are out there and some decent looking Mk 46 ASW torpedoes can be found in the Hasegawa P-3 Orion kit.  Revell's Breguet Atlantic kit also has a couple of nice torpedo shapes and some nice life raft containers if you want to add something uniquie to your ASW bird to give it an SAR mission.  There are a number of other 1:72nd scale kits out there with some torpedo shapes that might work but it all depends on how much detail you want on the things.  I really do not know of any resin or metal aftermarket torpedoe shapes that are currently available.  Anyone have additional information on that to share, please do.  I have some of the following in my possession and I can say that they exceed my expectations for details on amu 1:48th scale torpedo: 
offers a set of three different torpedo types for the Lynx HAS as [url=http://www.belcherbits.com/lines/148conv/bb34.htm]BB-34 - Lynx ASW Weapons set provides some nice aftermarket resin torpedoes for the Lynx in the form of the Mk 46, Sting Ray, and, Euro Torp MU90. 
AeroBonus (AiRes) has a nice set of Mk 44 ASW torpedoes and Mk 46 ASW torpedoes

Interior details for an ASW V-22 can be found in the same Lynx, Sea Sprite, Sea King, and, Sea Hawk kits though in most cases it is very sparse on the details in 1:72nd scale.  Sonobouy launchers and sensor consoles being the most important pieces.  I would guess the best location for the sonobouy launcher on the Osprey would be on the rear loading ramp or perhaps launched through the floor (underside) of the Osprey.  You could drill some holes for your sonobouy tubes and box it over on the interior to make something that could pass for the launcher system.  In 1:48th scale Osprey you have the same Lynx HAS, Sea Hawk and Sea Sprite kits to source for parts plus the Cobra Company resin conversions for the Sea Sprite and Sea Hawk.  Cobra Company offers the following items for the SH-2 Sea Sprite and the SH-60 Sea Hawk that could be applied towards your SV-22 Osprey ASW aircraft in 1:48th scale:

SH-2 Sonobuoy Launcher
SeaHawk External Sensor
SH-60B Super Detail Set includes a pair of torpedo shapes plus the sensor console equipment and the sonobouy launcher.  Additional exterior details for the fuel tank sponsons and pylons plus the folding main rotor parts. 
SH-60F Super Detail SetPretty much the same parts as above.  Really can not determine what the difference is between them based on the images provided. 

These following items are included just in case you want to adapt some of the parts to your V-22 Osprey:
HH-60H Conversion/Detail Set
HH-60J "Jayhawk" USCG conversion/ Detail set
MH-60L conversion for Academy UH-60L
MH-60L DAP weapons set

If you don't want to spend the money for the Belcher Bits and AeroBonus torpedoes there is always the alternative of using some of the lesser quality torpedo shapes from the various kits that include an ASW torpedo in the kit. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #266 on: November 04, 2014, 07:29:50 AM »
I'm thinking the ESSS rack-derived bits at roughly where the SV-22 kit has that ladder-looking rack; that puts the torpedos well clear of the prop-rotors when they drop.  My plan is to replace the existing lower aft ramp with a sonobuoy launcher mounting the winch for the MAD "bomb" on top of it.  I've got both SH-2 and SH-60 kits in 1/72 to optain the MAD bomb from and I've got a PV-22 kit (same manufacturer(s) as the SV-22) with a dipping sonar.  I'm not totally sure what to do for the radar, but I've time to puzzle that out; real world V-22 efforts are keeping me quite busy.

I'll admit, though, that I like the idea of the radar in the nose rather than under the fuselage; less chance of FOD damage.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 01:02:31 PM by elmayerle »

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #267 on: November 04, 2014, 10:16:22 AM »
Here's some tilt rotors from the pages of B.P.R.D.

Some neat C-130 and B-29 derived versions  :)

***Coordinated with Mike to get the images reduced in size.  Click on each image to view full size image at PhotoBucket. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 11:36:28 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #268 on: November 04, 2014, 11:40:25 AM »
It looks more like the front end of a Ju-188 or 388.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #269 on: November 05, 2014, 09:58:11 AM »
what if Bartini met Mr Flettner & both moved to Russia ?

« Reply #270 on: November 05, 2014, 05:07:58 PM »
I guess it would be hell of a craft!
... and kill me again
or take me as I am,
for I shall not change...
never...

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #271 on: November 05, 2014, 11:30:01 PM »
Wow!

Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #272 on: December 05, 2014, 03:18:23 AM »
Well, it's now official, Japan has started the acquisition process to acquire MV-22B variants (albeit with some avionics mods).  Looks like at least some of those Hasgawa "whif" markings might come a bit closer to reality.

Edited Addition: I'll also admit to verifiable rumors of some other FMS options in work, a couple of which depend on the project I'm busy on.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:29:15 PM by elmayerle »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #273 on: December 20, 2014, 02:31:47 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #274 on: December 20, 2014, 02:55:26 AM »
Aircraft is N204TR (CN D0043), also known as the ATTR (Advanced Technology TiltRotor). and it's used as a testbed.  This was a "quick and dirty" trials installation that included replacing the standard FLIR turret with one incorporating designation capability.  A production mod would have pylons on both sides and they would be slightly swept forward so that the starboard weapons would clear the door.  The overall location looks peculiar but makes sense in that it moves the weapons out of the sweep of the prop-rotor even in forward flight.

The engine nacelle nearest the camera still has the proof of concept EIBF installation I was involved with on 2011 & 2012 and it's more than demonstrating its worth.  I'm currently involved in a production kit development of this concept.

I've heard rumors that some of these pictures were taken by Jay Miller, but I can't verify at the moment.  I do know there were at least five separate cameras tracking the tests.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 06:57:50 AM by elmayerle »