Author Topic: [Folk Art] TAMIYA Panzerkampfwagen II Ausf. F/G (1/35th)  (Read 902 times)

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
[Folk Art] TAMIYA Panzerkampfwagen II Ausf. F/G (1/35th)
« on: January 31, 2024, 12:57:29 AM »
This thread is more about the display than the model.

So in a box of salvage was a reasonably cromulent build of the 1970's TAMIYA kit.

For those unfamiliar, see
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-35009-panzerkampfwagen-ii-ausf-f-g--1166601

It was missing the commander's hatch and cupola ring.

Not really within my area of interest, but someone put too much effort into it to just pitch. What to do? 
Then I remembered a buddy's love of the old AVALON HILL Panzer Leader game and his admitted lack of diversity on his home office's I LOVE ME wall.

Thus was born an idear, with constraints - generally folks won't get right up on this display to see faults and even if they did,
most wouldn't know what they're looking at - so there's no need for super-detailing or using techniques beyond 1985 vintage.

Sourcing a nice display base that once hosted a dried flower arrangement, I drilled it for a flathead 1/4-20 bolt.

Next came the adventure of rummaging through ancient decal sheets in search of appropriately sized numbers.
The wall mount is supposed to make one think of those German diamond-shaped antennas.

In addition to addressing the missing TC's hatch, I might fit it with a D.A.K. air identification flag and some other deck bits.

Didn't have a simple post mount on any walls around here, but the blue background makes it *jump* a bit better.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 08:42:10 AM by Story »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: [Folk Art] TAMIYA Panzerkampfwagen II Ausf. F/G (1/35th)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 05:40:35 AM »
Wow, Panzer Leader, there is a blast from the past. Played that a bit in the day.

I really do like this quirky idea. Well done on this

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 04:57:08 PM »
Love it - waste nought, want nought - and totally left field!  :-*
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Story

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 04:07:00 AM »
Gentlemen,
Thank you for the nice words. My downstream intent is to inspire those [kids?] who find this thread not to hesitate but embrace the 'just do it' approach even if your materials are 50 years obsolete.

That said, anyone CONUS have something in their spares box that could work as the TC's cupola or are y'all going to make me resort to milk caps?

It doesn't need to be a perfect replacement, just something that passes the 3' rule. Not mine / just a great build.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 04:35:24 AM by Story »

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 10:19:30 AM »
Preparing for a river crossing ?  Fit a collar to blank the periscopes & use the commander's wading trunk from Tamiya's Leopard 1A4  ;) ;D

Offline Story

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 04:34:33 PM »
Preparing for a river crossing ?  Fit a collar to blank the periscopes & use the commander's wading trunk from Tamiya's Leopard 1A4  ;) ;D

The Nile?

« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 04:36:53 PM by Story »

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 06:55:29 AM »

The Nile?

Well the plan was to invade Egypt then continue north-east & link up with the German pincer from Poland.

Offline Story

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2024, 09:25:23 AM »

Well the plan was to invade Egypt then continue north-east & link up with the German pincer from Poland.

First we take Baghdad. Then we take the world.  :icon_music:  https://youtu.be/JTTC_fD598A

https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=782.msg186340#msg186340

https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=726.msg169053#msg169053

Offline Story

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 08:05:08 AM »
1980's problems require 1980's solutions

1) No D.A.K. air identification panel/flag? Find it online, size it and print. Cut and glue in place.

2) Missing TC's hatch and cupola ring? Find 'close enoughs' in the spares box (the hatch is a 1/48th Tiger roadwheel. I think.  ??? )

3) Slap a stowage box over the right rear fender empty spot.

Circle-X the 2404 and kick it out of the shop

« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 08:06:57 AM by Story »