Modelling > Tips, Tools & Techniques

Home Made Decals - First Attempt - Update

<< < (3/3)

kitnut617:

--- Quote from: The Big Gimper on March 14, 2020, 02:28:35 AM ---
--- Quote from: kitnut617 on March 13, 2020, 10:12:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: The Big Gimper on March 13, 2020, 07:57:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: The Rat on March 13, 2020, 09:44:44 AM ---
--- Quote from: Frank3k on July 06, 2019, 05:32:27 AM ---Are there any real decal printing services out there? Ie. -  not ALPS or Inkjet based and reasonably priced.

--- End quote ---

In Canada there is CanMilAir, https://www.canmilair.com/, and Leading Edge, http://lemdecal.com/, and I believe both will do custom printing on request, but I cant say for certain. Wouldn't hurt to ask. Might be expensive, but cheaper than buying a proper printer and then experimenting for ages to get decent results. And many people will vouch for the quality of both companies.

--- End quote ---

@Dave (The Rat): Bill Burns at Canmilair shutdown his waterslide decal business in 2018 due to aging equipment. He still does vinyl decals and books. I can't speak to Dave Koss at Leading Edge. He does not reply to emails.

--- End quote ---

I also had some custom decals done by JBot Decals, but his website says he's had a stroke and has closed the business. Although, most of Fantastic Plastic's new releases say decals by JBot --------   ???

--- End quote ---

Good catch Robert. Jim Botitas has also closed down his decal business. I think I got his very last set of 1/72 RCAF Comet MK.I decals.

They are for sale for 500 rolls of toilet paper and 500 contains of sanitary wipes.  8)

--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure Jim Botitas and JBot are the same ---

The Big Gimper:

--- Quote from: kitnut617 on March 14, 2020, 03:26:07 AM ---
--- Quote from: The Big Gimper on March 14, 2020, 02:28:35 AM ---
--- Quote from: kitnut617 on March 13, 2020, 10:12:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: The Big Gimper on March 13, 2020, 07:57:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: The Rat on March 13, 2020, 09:44:44 AM ---
--- Quote from: Frank3k on July 06, 2019, 05:32:27 AM ---Are there any real decal printing services out there? Ie. -  not ALPS or Inkjet based and reasonably priced.

--- End quote ---

In Canada there is CanMilAir, https://www.canmilair.com/, and Leading Edge, http://lemdecal.com/, and I believe both will do custom printing on request, but I cant say for certain. Wouldn't hurt to ask. Might be expensive, but cheaper than buying a proper printer and then experimenting for ages to get decent results. And many people will vouch for the quality of both companies.

--- End quote ---

@Dave (The Rat): Bill Burns at Canmilair shutdown his waterslide decal business in 2018 due to aging equipment. He still does vinyl decals and books. I can't speak to Dave Koss at Leading Edge. He does not reply to emails.

--- End quote ---

I also had some custom decals done by JBot Decals, but his website says he's had a stroke and has closed the business. Although, most of Fantastic Plastic's new releases say decals by JBot --------   ???

--- End quote ---

Good catch Robert. Jim Botitas has also closed down his decal business. I think I got his very last set of 1/72 RCAF Comet MK.I decals.

They are for sale for 500 rolls of toilet paper and 500 contains of sanitary wipes.  8)

--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure Jim Botitas and JBot are the same ---

--- End quote ---

Yes they are. My bad in not making the x-reference.

Robomog:
Home made decals addendum

Since the original post I have had a couple more successful outings with home made transfers but these have all been with the transparent backing on bright colours such as white, silver, and yellow.

Be warned decals on transparent backgrounds do not work on black and probably other dark colours like extra dark sea grey.

I produced some light grey squares for panel detail and they just disappeared.

To get around this I  tried the white background decal sheet with the following recommendations.

- The white background transfer material is a different medium to the transparent variety and handles in a very different way. It seems to be more like a thin vinyl and is not as strong.

- If you are using long thin designs be very careful once it is off the backing paper as it has a tendency to stretch especially when the covering varnish cracks.

- More importantly it does not "slide" as well so you will need to be  more more precise and use more water when placing in position.

- You have to trim the very close to the design otherwise you will have a white halo around the finished decal.

- If you want to produce an all white design edge it with a very fine black line which acts as a guide  when you cut it out.

Conclusion

Not as much fun as transparent backed decals so I will use only when necessary but I'm not ruling them out completely as they still allow for a bit of artistic license.

Results can be good

by Robomog, on Flickr

Hope this helps

Mog
>^-.-^<

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version