Author Topic: I have a gift for you 1/35 postapocalyptic diorama  (Read 7826 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
I have a gift for you 1/35 postapocalyptic diorama
« on: September 03, 2019, 08:40:06 AM »
This dio will be of a girl holding a mini MP5 behind her back and standing in front of a soldier. She says, I have a gift for you.

The tree is made of resin and is from J's Work. I painted it grey then painted the wood brown over it. I then used a grey wash and wiped it then used a black wash then wiped it.

The Japanese girl came with the gas mask already molded to her face. The arms/hands and briefcase came molded to the back of her skirt. I cut the briefcase from her hands and replaced it with a mini MP5 gun. When I was removing the briefcase from her hands, a part of the skirt snapped off and is still attached to the briefcase. I will have to trim it off and glue it back to the skirt. The soldier is a TAHK Russian GRU. I cut his head out of the hood and replaced it with a Live Resin Russian gas mask.

The dio base is Alliance Modelworks. The wall and base comes together.

I still need to paint the figures, dio base and wall and add the cherry blossoms on the tree. I have to paint over 300 or so cherry blossoms and then mount them all on the tree trunk. I will probably start the cherry blossoms in the winter during the gloomy, cold and snowy days. I am using the ones from Kamizukuri.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 09:33:40 AM by Ramba »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: I have a gift for you 1/35 postapocalyptic diorama
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 08:57:56 AM »
That's looking fantastic! :D

For someone who claims to be a beginner in figure modelling, you're leaving me for dead (& I've been working on it for a few years, now)! :icon_alabanza:

Painting each, individual cherry blossom? You is crazy, man! :o

I intend having a blooming cherry tree in the dio with my Kuroi-hyō (Black Leopard = Pz.Kpfw. V Ausf. A Panther modified for Japanese service) but I'm looking at those "moss" trees, with the foliage painted pink.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 09:32:31 AM »

For someone who claims to be a beginner in figure modelling, you're leaving me for dead (& I've been working on it for a few years, now)! :icon_alabanza:

I intend having a blooming cherry tree in the dio with my Kuroi-hyō (Black Leopard = Pz.Kpfw. V Ausf. A Panther modified for Japanese service) but I'm looking at those "moss" trees, with the foliage painted pink.

Your dio sounds cool! Looking forward to seeing your cherry tree.

Thanks! I only just bought my first figures last year. I only just finished my first figure earlier this year. I have been doing models for years though but on and off. There were a couple times I took like 10-12 years off. I got into 1/35 figures because I really don't have the room to do build or display my 1/48 aircraft or 1/35 armor. Doing 1/35 figures are way smaller than full kits and easier for me to do and display. Unfortunately I didn't just want the figures standing alone on the cabinet shelf so I got into vignettes/dioramas. I am trying to stick to smaller dioramas though that can only fit one to two figures but that didn't work out hahahaha! I have a few more ideas involving and including up to four to five figures now. Don't know where those larger dioramas will go but I haven't started those yet.

Yeah, each individual cherry blossom has to be painted and painstakingly attached one by one. There are 308 main cherry blossoms then there are some smaller cherry blossoms but not nearly as much as the main ones then there are also some leaves. This will take a very long time.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 11:29:45 AM »
Better you than me, brother! ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 02:14:50 AM »

:o

Your dio sounds cool! Looking forward to seeing your cherry tree.

Thanks! I only just bought my first figures last year. I only just finished my first figure earlier this year. I have been doing models for years though but on and off. There were a couple times I took like 10-12 years off. I got into 1/35 figures because I really don't have the room to do build or display my 1/48 aircraft or 1/35 armor. Doing 1/35 figures are way smaller than full kits and easier for me to do and display. Unfortunately I didn't just want the figures standing alone on the cabinet shelf so I got into vignettes/dioramas. I am trying to stick to smaller dioramas though that can only fit one to two figures but that didn't work out hahahaha! I have a few more ideas involving and including up to four to five figures now. Don't know where those larger dioramas will go but I haven't started those yet.

Yeah, each individual cherry blossom has to be painted and painstakingly attached one by one. There are 308 main cherry blossoms then there are some smaller cherry blossoms but not nearly as much as the main ones then there are also some leaves. This will take a very long time.

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 04:42:05 AM »
This is looking fantastic!  :smiley:

... each individual cherry blossom has to be painted and painstakingly attached one by one...

"They are all perfect!"  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 06:50:59 AM »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 12:03:48 AM »
I picked up this Green Stuff World Leaf Cutter. They said grey was for 1/48 and 1/35. You are supposed to use real leaves from outside but it has been raining here for the last three days. Everything is wet and nasty! I tried it out on a piece of paper for now. Works pretty good. I collected a few leaves just now between the rain drops. I will preserve them to try to keep the colors for when I am ready to use them for the dio base.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 08:40:17 PM »
Started painting the dio base. The rubble/trash still needs painting. I still need to paint the figures and also add over 300 individual cherry blossoms to the tree trunk hahahahaha! Not looking forward to that at all. I am also adding a street lamp.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 08:50:56 PM »
... hahahahaha! ...

Oh, dear! He's started the maniacal laugh already! :o

Offline Ramba

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 04:20:05 AM »
I haven't started the cherry blossoms so I haven't gone mad just yet. I did add the lamp post. It is solid resin so no clear parts for the lamp. I will need to paint it off white/light grey like frosted glass. I will probably just use an off white then coat it with Tamiya smoke. Here are the latest photos.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 07:07:29 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 10:20:35 PM »
Lamp post primed and I added some ivy to the wall.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 03:10:43 PM »
This is headed for the Hall of Fame! :smiley: :icon_alabanza:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 09:16:24 PM »
This is headed for the Hall of Fame! :smiley: :icon_alabanza:

Thank you!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2019, 09:17:02 PM »
Got the ground/dirt area around the wall painted. I still need to paint the rubble/trash though. I added some grass and scattered some dead leaves around. I will add a lot more dead leaves once the rubble/trash is painted.

For the dead leaves I used the leaf cutter shown earlier. Here it is shown again with the leaves cut from an actual leaf. The leaf cutter doesn't have cherry tree leaves though but I will just scatter other leaves around as if they were blown there as in actual nature.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2019, 10:15:05 AM »
Looking good  :smiley:  And I love the effect of this Green Stuff World leaf cutter thingy ...
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 03:48:44 AM »
Looking good  :smiley:  And I love the effect of this Green Stuff World leaf cutter thingy ...

Thanks! Took a break from this one. I started yet another base but not sure what is going on the other one just yet.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 07:24:45 AM »
Not a whole lot done. I only added some more dirt around the wall and weathered the cobblestones. I used MiG dry steppe for the dirt around the wall and Vallejo light sienna pigment for the cobblestones. Still have to weather the wall and lamp post.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 07:36:30 AM »
looking really good

Offline Ramba

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 05:35:32 AM »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2020, 06:33:15 AM »
I can't believe it's been almost 6 months since I worked on this dio. It is still in progress. I switched the soldier to a different one.

The figures need some touching up before I give them a wash and dry brushing. The rifles and the bricks on the ground still need painting and weathering. The wall and lamp post still needs weathering.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2020, 01:08:00 AM »
They both look ultra-sinister in those glossy ultra-black gas masks. :o

Offline Ramba

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2020, 01:49:36 AM »
They both look ultra-sinister in those glossy ultra-black gas masks. :o

Thanks! The figures are still in progress, They are gloss coated to protect the paint. I still need to do a dry brush and a wash then flat coat them. Actually, they need some touch ups first.