Author Topic: Good Shaped-charge Maker In World War 2 (other than USSR and Germany)?  (Read 3211 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Recently I've been having fun putting 17-pounder and KwK 42 into Inter-war period heavy tanks......

The thing is that those two guns would likely be low on availability during World War 2 unless you are either a British Commonwealth member or a neighbouring ally of Germany.

Bofors has a 75mm AA gun that was copied and then made into a tank gun by Japanese, but it seemed closer to American 76mm gun; it did become comparable to the 75mm gun on the AMX-13 when the Swedes did their own conversion post-WWII for their Strv 74 programme.

Which leaves shaped-charge projectiles that don't need the kind of velocities possessed by the 17-pounder or KwK 42.  Finland went down that path, and the result (114mm HEAT projectiles used on BT-42) ended up rather useless- which comes as a surprise to me since Finland copied a German design, and Germany seemed to be an avid user of shaped-charge projectiles precisely to deal with the likes of T-34 and KV-1.

So...... what did it take to make a good HEAT weaponry in World War 2?  And who, other than Germany and Soviet Union (which is said to believe in anti-tank capability for their howitzers via HEAT projectiles, too), could be relied on to create serviceable shaped-charge projectiles?  Thanks in advance.
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
Re: Good Shaped-charge Maker In World War 2 (other than USSR and Germany)?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 04:34:03 PM »
The Germans were actually rather reluctant users of HEAT rounds according to Ian V. Hogg.  Their 75mm and 105mm rounds weren't widely distributed nor used and it took them several goes to get the cones right in both cases.  Most nations didn't trust the technology until after WWII when it was widely adopted by NATO.  The French in particular became quite enthusiastic users with their Opus-G series of shells which utilised a Teflon driving band to slow or eliminate rotation when fired from a rifled gun.  The Swedes adopted a similar concept with their L35a1 Carl Gustav 84mm Rcl.   HEAT was the round of choice in NATO's AT ammunition stable until the advent of cheap electronics allowed digital fire control systems in MBTs which could make allowances for environmental variables and ensured higher accuracy for kinetic energy rounds, in the early 1980s.  Up until then, the lower velocity, high penetration of the HEAT round made targeting enemy MBTs much easier.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 02:39:55 AM »
The following papers might make for interesting reading:

A Brief History of Shaped Charges
History of the Shaped Charge Effect
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"

Offline tahsin

• SC
  • Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 07:04:03 PM »
You would need some serious Osprey title to see the American work into the field; aren't they the ones to be the "first" impressed when they wrote USN on some steel plate by the Monroe effect circa 1908?

Edit: of which the PDF files suggest to be 1900, on a mere glimpse...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:06:00 PM by tahsin »