Author Topic: Brian da Basher's 2nd Blitz  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Brian da Basher's 2nd Blitz
« on: February 09, 2020, 08:29:37 PM »
Feeling full of get-up-and-go while enjoying the perfect eye-opener on this chilly morning

I feel like taking on another one of those early model kits.

This is another box-scale (1/86 I'm told) antique and most basic.

Quite the classic! This is one of two my good friend Bill sent me (thanks a million, amigo!). The other has a short-shot back end and wing-root leading edge. It'll get a more thorough treatment later.

Ready, set, go!

Maybe I should have some breakfast first?

Hoping to finish by supper time,

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 08:48:18 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Re: Brian da Basher's 2nd Blitz
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 10:37:56 PM »
That’s somebodies collectors item!
Jut kidding, models were made to be built.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 10:54:49 PM »
The box was in very rough shape (nowhere near as nice as the pic I swiped off the web), so this kit was indeed meant to be built.

Here's the first update and it's starting to look like an airplane!

I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere.

It's important to keep your energy up during a blitz build. Proper snacking discipline is crucial.

Updates as they happen,

Brian da Basher

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 11:29:17 PM »
Those tail fins are so 1950s!
Carry on! Looks like fun.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 12:59:59 AM »
The new canopy is on and I got some putty in the gaps on those fins & rudders.

The nail polish remover I used to thin it is drying now.

The load-out is peeking out from in back.

Time for another snack. I need to bring out the heavy hitters for this blitz.

Mmmm....mint!

More as it happens,

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 01:01:35 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 02:47:06 AM »
Time for an update. The load-out is on!

Once this sets, I can start painting...

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 04:04:50 AM »
The undersides have been painted.

I used Model Masters White Primer acrylic. It performed perfectly which will make me miss them all the more.

It's taking a while to dry. Must be a bit humid today.

Upper color to follow...

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 05:20:57 AM »
Topside is (mostly) done!

Model Masters Medium Gray acrylic applied with a paintbrush.

There's a few gigs I need to dress but I've dealt with worse.

More to follow...

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 05:23:51 AM »
I like where this is going.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 05:38:43 AM »
I like where this is going.

Oh cr*p the Boss is on to me...
 ;D
Brian da Basher

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 06:49:57 AM »
Keep going Brian, I didn't realise the Cutless looked so good.  Model is shaping up nicely.

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 07:30:27 AM »
That colour scheme hints at something RN FAA or RAN FAA :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 07:32:33 AM »
I took a dinner break and now I'm finishing the canopy. The paint's still wet and it'll need a touch-up or two, but once that hurdle is cleared...

Updates when they happen,

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »
The Royal Navy Vought  XTF7U-2T "Buttless" trainer

By the 1950's, the Royal Navy was becoming desperate to field an aircraft carrier-based cutting-edge aircraft so it could remain on a par with other world powers.

Unfortunately, the British aircraft industry faced insurmountable development problems producing a successful swept-wing ship-board jet.

De Havilland's was the Royal Navy's final hope which was dashed with the crash of the disastrous Vixen that followed hot on the heels of the Donner and Blitzen project failures.

The United States, seeking to further bolster the long-standing alliance between two peoples separated by a common language, proposed supplying the Royal Navy with Vought F7U Cutlasses under lend-lease.

To facilitate familiarity with the unique flight characteristics of the Cutlass, Vought produced an  all-but-forgotten two-seat trainer version.

Reconfigured to fit an instructor behind the front seat. of course this odd variant of the F7U was given a longer canopy as the Navy couldn't leave one of the two-man flight crew hanging out in the breeze.

The aircraft certainly appeared fast and futuristic, its sleekness emphasized by a sharp nose probe which had the added benefit of potentially pranging inattentive deck crew.

While the new trainer looked like something out of Buck Rogers, it would not be notable during its brief time in service for its maneuverability or speed but for its less than optimal seats.

In an ill-advised cost-cutting move, Vought tried to get away with sub-standard seating. This worked about as well as you'd expect.

In short order, RN instructors began dropping like flies. Sick bay was full to the gunwales with pilots suffering debilitating lower back and gluteus maximus injuries which kept them off the duty roster. A cure was quickly offered but to little effect.

Officially designated the XTF7U-2T "Buttress", an ill-conceived play on Cutlass, the aircraft would be known as the Buttless by those cheeky pilots unfortunate enough to fly it.

Training in anticipation of the American jets began in earnest and was taking a toll on pilots. Finally the back-benchers in Parliament had enough and through some behind-the-scenes maneuvering, got the Royal Navy to see the light even where the sun didn't shine to put the brakes on the entire posterior-punishing enterprise.

The hush-hush Fairey Fannie finished flight tests with flamboyant flying colors and the Royal Navy would finally be able to field a British-built Navy fighter in the end.

Nothing exists of the Royal Navy XTF7U-2T Buttless today except this model. The so-called "experts" refuse to acknowledge the type ever was since they could never quite reach the bottom of the research involved.

Thanks to Bill for sending the kit and to kerick, Greg, Mog & Jeff for your kind encouragement. I'm glad I could get another fun blitz in under the wire.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 06:31:33 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 01:55:49 PM »
Thought was called "Buttless" because of no fuselage going back to mount tail surfaces.  Your dilligent research set the record straight.
Looks better in RN colors than USN colors and sleeker with two seat canopy.  Done vintage kit well.  :smiley:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2020, 02:51:27 PM »
Thought was called "Buttless" because of no fuselage going back to mount tail surfaces.  Your dilligent research set the record straight.
Looks better in RN colors than USN colors and sleeker with two seat canopy.  Done vintage kit well.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 03:31:20 PM by finsrin »

Offline Robomog

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 03:24:12 PM »
Well that one turned out well,  bravo sir !

Looks good in RN markings.

Spooky...... my thought processes went the same way as finsrin's regarding the name  ;D ;D

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 01:51:03 AM »
Where is the real BdB?  I suspect something is going on as there are no spats or spattage involved with this build or the previous build.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Robomog

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2020, 02:07:44 AM »
It's possible the FAA had a lucky escape, this article does not paint the aircraft in a good  light

https://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/the-gutless-cutlass-12023991/

Mog
>^-.-^<