Author Topic: De Havilland Sphinx Moth racer  (Read 1551 times)

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
De Havilland Sphinx Moth racer
« on: February 04, 2022, 03:23:42 AM »

Something a little different from me, in that's it's not just a Whiff version of a real-world aircraft . . .
Built for the 2021 Airfix 'What-if' Group Build on the Airfix Tribute Forum.

De Havilland Sphinx Moth racer.

'Conceived and designed to take part in a London to Cairo air race in 1935, the aeroplane was still under construction when the race was cancelled. Nevertheless, it was decided to complete the aircraft, but modified in order to compete in domestic races, e.g. the Kings Cup.
Flight testing, however, revealed some troubling flying qualities, which proved difficult to overcome. In spite of this, De Havillands persisted, more modifications were made, and the Sphinx Moth was entered for the 1936 King's Cup race.
Initially performing well, the handling problems returned, resulting in a crash which wrecked the airframe.
Unsurprisingly, following this incident, the project was finally abandoned.'

Build Thread, or what there is of it, HERE:- https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/2021-airfix-what-if-group-build-robunos-s-build-t56162.html
and Gallery Thread HERE :- https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/2021-airfix-what-if-group-build-gallery-t56153.html

cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 03:25:51 AM by robunos »
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: De Havilland Sphinx Moth racer
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 05:28:28 AM »
Too cool. what a nice build

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 08:02:00 AM »
Too cool. what a nice build

Indeedy! A thing of beauty ... and a dead-clever combo of disparate parts  :smiley:

A pity she was wrecked (although it sounds like this little speedster few like a cow!). Dare we hope for a Sphinx Moth II? Surely any major handling problems could be solved by doubling (or trebling?) the horsepower.
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 08:05:48 AM »
Oooh, that is so cool!! I love it so much! I'm sorry to hear of her premature end.

Tell you what, upon first glance I was instantly reminded of the Rolls-Royce ACCEL aka Spirit of Innovation.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 11:13:21 PM »
Snazzy little bird, and a nice build. Pity it wasn't more successful.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 12:49:13 AM »
Beautiful design. The plane looks like a sleek bird with the Comet wings! Quite a number of kits donated parts for your build.

Offline robunos

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 06:32:17 AM »
Sadly, there probably wouldn't be a Sphinx Moth 2. By 1936, RAF re-armament was underway, DH had Government contracts for Tiger Moths, and therefore had no more need to promote the 'Moth' family of aeroplanes in the civil market, which anyway would disappear with the outbreak of war. Indeed, the only reason for the 'Sphinx Moth' name was to tie the racer to the 'Moth' family, rather than identify it as a single-engined Comet Racer, which is what it really was . . .
@ZacYates; I was aware of the 'Spirit of Innovation', but I wasn't consciously using any of it's design cues. Then again, even by the mid-1930s, the optimum shape for a high speed racer had pretty much been established . . .
There are parts from five kits used in the model :-
Wings, tailplanes, and engine cowling from the Airfix DH Comet Racer,
Fuselage, fin, rudder, wheels (just one, cut in half), and tail skid from the old-tool Airfix Tiger Moth,
Canopy, and fairing from the AVI Models DH Fox Moth kit,
Undercarriage trousers were made from parts of the centre section of the upper wing of the Valom Yokosuka K5Y 'Akatombo' kit,
Propeller from the RS Models Bucker Jungmeister kit, it's supplied with a choice of three engines, and the propellers to go with them. I couldn't use any of the Airfix propellers, the spinner of the Tiger one was way over size, and the ones from the Comet Racer kit were so badly moulded as to be useless . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 06:48:01 AM »
Sadly, there probably wouldn't be a Sphinx Moth 2...

Ah, so it is straight on to the Sphinx Moth 3 light fighter prototype then?  >:D
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline robunos

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 07:04:15 AM »
Sadly, there probably wouldn't be a Sphinx Moth 2...

Ah, so it is straight on to the Sphinx Moth 3 light fighter prototype then?  >:D

I believe such things were handed over to Airspeed, as DH had their hands full with the Mosquito . . .   ;)

cheers,
Robin.