Author Topic: A Civilized BV222  (Read 25946 times)

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
Re: A Civilized BV222
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2015, 03:05:34 PM »
The Tamiya Gray, or any other 'lacquer' spot/finishing putty will always shrink as they require the evaporation
of the volatile thinners to harden. Epoxies like Aves, Milliput etc. rarely shrink as their curing process is completely
exothermically chemically reactive, in udder woids the two bits o goo don't do shit unless mixed in the correct quantities.
Too be blunt if Milliput or a similar two-part epoxy compound doesn't harden harden correctly, it's either old (past it's shelf life)
or you've stuffed up the mixing instructions. I can say this absolutely after many years working with epoxy compounds of numerous types in a variety of work situations.

My personal preference is too fill hole/voids with styrene sheets/chunks/bit and then glaze over with an epoxy compound
followed by the various lacquer glazing putty options, all dependent on personal choice, and then a nice high-solids primer
a bunch o' sanding stages.
Don't fear the Stanley knife and the rasp, they are your friends.  :icon_fsm:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2015, 08:15:36 PM »
I managed to get the panels fixed and now they look so much better. I have yet to sand the edges down but I'll start that tonight or tomorrow.
In the mean time, all the lighting is installed and operational. A total of 8 SMD's have been employed to do the job. I'm still trying to figure the best way to connect the wings to the body and be able to "plug" them in. I'm thinking I may have to glue on each wing to the fuselage while they are still separate pieces but the weight of the wings will put a fair bit of pressure on the fuselage join when it will come to that stage of mating the 2 together. I'm sure I'll manage....

Here's where it all is at the moment.

As I was uploading these images, I was looking at the seat I made and although it looks OK, it's actually too big, so I'll have to remake it but smaller, which won't be a problem. I won't make those marks up the middle of the back cushion this time.

I will think about adding some wiring to the back of the radio in the back ass well - just because I can. I doubt you'll see much once the halves are closed up - despite the lighting - the windows are pretty small

Well, that's it for tonight

thanks for stopping in

MH
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2015, 10:38:53 PM »
I'm still trying to figure the best way to connect the wings to the body and be able to "plug" them in. I'm thinking I may have to glue on each wing to the fuselage while they are still separate pieces but the weight of the wings will put a fair bit of pressure on the fuselage join when it will come to that stage of mating the 2 together. I'm sure I'll manage....
I'd suggest some build jigs at this point, simply to hold everything in the proper relationships without distorting all the structure.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2015, 01:11:47 AM »
The lights look great. For 1/72 pilots and passengers, the Preiser 72510 set is good. They're from the 1920-30s, but should work into the 40s-50s. Here are some pics: http://www.ms-plus.com/14256

and http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/review.aspx?id=793 This store in Australia carries it: http://www.brunelhobbies.com.au/Preiser/preiserFigures.htm

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2015, 05:30:46 AM »
Good to see this one back on.

Very nice painting work on the interior

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2015, 05:00:06 PM »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2015, 07:30:29 AM »
Thanks for those links, they're almost exactly what I want. Will need to invest in some of those figures
Can't have an in-flight plane with no crew or passengers - that'd be weird

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2015, 03:12:02 AM »
This keeps getting better and better. Your scribing is excellent! And the lighting is great - I imagine one or two passengers reading in their seats.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2015, 10:56:32 AM »
Very nice, and after looking at pics in the Ju 90 and Fw 200 books in the 'Vom Original zum Modell' series
yer passenger seat doesn't look 'oversize'. Today's seats are just undersized. ;)
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2015, 04:05:08 AM »
That's some astonishing detail work! It's got to take the patience of a saint to pull off, and you've done so magnificently!

Brian da Basher

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2015, 04:39:20 PM »
thanks guys- sorry I am a bit late in replying..
I had am idea/brain fart for a scheme and a plausible idea on how it could work. What about a Virgin scheme? It's not like Richard Branson doesn't have enough money to lift up the one from the bottom of the sea and have it refitted to on of his aircraft?
Bad idea and stick with something from the 40's/50's or not?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2015, 03:02:10 AM »
Your call.  Will look great regardless.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2015, 06:45:15 PM »
greetings everyone

Well, I have finally got some more silicone rubber to make molds of the new seats, so most of my time since getting it has been to cast some copies....lots of copies. 30 to be exact.

The seats are all painted and installed - and so are the passengers. I found a bag of 25 figures in 1/76 scale - not quite 1/72 but they're just there for effect. I haven't gone completely to town on the interior as you won't really see much at all and what you will see will be people in chairs.

I've tried to go for a rich colour palette for the walls and bulk heads while keeping a subtle tan colour for the floors and ceiling. Should be just right with the warm white SMD's. I added a red stripe to represent the "Red Carpet". Not sure if that was a good idea or not, but it's there now.

All the people are in different posses and states of movement -well, more sitting down than moving but there is a woman waving to someone and an old man with a walking stick try to get into or out of his chair - which yes - are a tad over sized but I am, leaving them as is. Again  this is more than what you'll see at the end :)

I have also settled on a paint job: a modified Ansett scheme. Not sure how I'm going to do the black and red stripe though - it will be painted on as I don't have a printer so can not print my own decals (another skill I'd like to learn) I'll work it out :)

Well, that's all for now. Next update should be getting read to paint

Thanks for looking in

MH

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2015, 11:40:29 PM »
Wow!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2015, 02:20:21 AM »
Dammmn!!!  That's impressive!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2015, 03:51:42 AM »
The rear passenger compartment looks like a perfect set up for an in-flight movie presentation :)

Stepped seating so those in the back can see over the others in front of them. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2015, 06:09:20 PM »
Bloody brill, old boy! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2015, 05:14:58 PM »
Thanks guys

Having issues with the engines. All the motors are working individually but don't work at all when I wire the 2 up at the same time. I'm hoping the problem is a simple matter of voltage. They ( by which I  mean the entire wing with all 3 motors) work individually but the minute i hook them up together, only one single motor works. Im testing them with a 9v battery, so I'm hopeful that by mugging them into the mains I will have all 6 running
Otherwise, it'll be another dud in the engineering department of my man cave :(

(Edited because even I couldn't understand what I wrote)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 07:51:00 PM by Madhatter »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2015, 07:41:45 PM »
Simon had a similar problem with the airship lighting. It turned out to be an amperage thing. Those 9v block batteries don't have much oomph, so I reckon a mains unit with say 2 amps would be ok

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2015, 07:52:31 PM »
Yeah, I remember that. That's what I immediately thought that voltage was the problem. The lights work though

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2015, 08:13:38 AM »
That passenger section is just off-the-charts amazing.

The detail is simply astonishing! Going so far as adding figures is a real testament to your boundless talent!

Brian da Basher

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2015, 12:26:16 PM »
thanks Brian

Time to update this thread. I haven't got any further with the interior - I think I'll leave it as it is for now. I am trying to find a 1/72 commercial pilot figure (or 2() but I haven't had any luck It would be a bit weird and un-nerving for the passengers if the plot came out wearing a full flight suit and what not.I have also pulled the pin on the electric motors for the props - Ii was having too many issues getting power to them and getting them all to spin at once and not in a pulsating way like I was experiencing. Kinda ruins the inflight look though. Oh well...

Interior as is:

I have also almost finished the wings - I still have one to go. I have modified the scheme I'm doing slightly to incorporate the red on the cowlings. The one in real life doesn't have that red surround - but I think it'll look right once it's done. I just need to tone the weathering down slightly. It's all done using paint and pigments.

Well, that's all for a little while as I am going to be starting in the sci-fi group build, so my attention will be on that until I'm done. If I do anything on this, I'll update it if it's worth it.

If you know where I can get 1/72 commercial pilots from, please let me know

Thanks

MH

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2015, 12:48:16 PM »
Really nice work on that paint job.

You probably need something like this

According to the Airfix Tribute forum from a  Piper Cherokee Arrow.
I seem to have an inlking that the Ford Trimotor had similar crew

Or just use something you have in the Self Loading Cargo (Passengers) and build a new hat.

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2015, 07:04:09 AM »
Just brilliant. Loving the addition of passengers to the cabin.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2015, 08:26:22 AM »
Can you try the engines and lights again with a largish (25uf - 100uf) capacitor between + and - ?