Author Topic: 3D Printing Tips and Techniques  (Read 39992 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: 3D Printing Tips and Techniques
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2022, 12:16:04 AM »
Send them to you or Jeff or anyone who wants them. I keep some of the supports  to use as a "pull tab" when cleaning the FEP (the clear film at the bottom of the tank) - I hold one down near a corner of the tank, run the "tank clean" function (which lights up the whole screen for a few seconds).I then take the partially exposed sheet outside to fully cure - although this is extremely exothermic in direct sunlight.

I usually print many copies if the parts are small enough to fit multiples on the build plate. They get cured and go into the spares box.

The rest (all cured) goes into the recycling bin.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2022, 03:25:55 AM »
HackSpace has a pretty good free PDF book on 3D design and printing FreeCAD for Makers They're using FreeCAD a Free 3D CAD program - its a parametric design CAD program, but it will work with meshes and can output STL files. It's also (as it says on the tin) free.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2022, 01:52:01 AM »
Another one with 3D STL files for purchase:  https://www.gambody.com
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline ChalkLine

• Time for a cuppa
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2024, 07:17:26 PM »
After the printing is finished is there anything the print has to be protected from? I'm going to have the printer in a cupboard and then be removing it from there to wash and cure it.
Also inside the printing cabinet all I can think is there has to be room to remove the printer lid and let it air, what else goes in there apart from the wash station (when I get it)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2024, 10:58:44 PM »
If it's a resin printer, you'll need PPE (masks, goggles, as a minimum) and good ventilation to the outside when printing or handling resin. Plus count on getting resin spills, so you'll need isopropyl, paper towels, a scraper and a UV flashlight. If you leave resin in the printer, you shouldn't move it because the resin will spill and get into the works.

If it's an FDM printer, ventilation is good (especially if printing ABS) but once the printing is done and everything has cooled off, you can store it anywhere.

Offline ChalkLine

• Time for a cuppa
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2024, 11:19:51 PM »
Cool, so no other sort of large elements beyond the washer/curer?
I'm just sorting out the cabinet now and knowing me I'll get one too small.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2024, 01:26:31 AM »
I would get a grow tent for at least the printer and a forced air extractor. This would be ideal but any inline fan would work. Resin allergy can be pretty severe and spilled resin is no fun to clean up.

Depending on how cold it gets in your printing area, you may need a heater - either around the resin tank, inside the case or in the room. Resin prints best at around 80F/27C and prints will start to fail at around 70F/21C or below.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2024, 06:37:48 AM »
Speaking of enclosures... very topical as I just got one, as the shed I work in often has the door open, which can lead to temperature variations on the 3D printer.

So, I have just bought one of these 3D Enclosures from Jaycar for just on $70 AUD. Interestingly the one I received had Creality printed on it.. It is working a treat  8)
https://www.jaycar.com.au/3d-printer-enclosure-60-x-48-x-72-cm/p/TL4615
so it actually looks like this
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 06:43:31 AM by Buzzbomb »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2024, 07:26:05 AM »
Wow! Looks just like mine! I usually close and vent it for ABS, leave it open for PLA.

Offline ChalkLine

• Time for a cuppa
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2024, 12:46:41 PM »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2024, 05:03:30 PM »
What do you think of this cupboard?
It's 75% the cost of a grow tent. I'm not adverse to cutting holes in it for ducting.

Providing it has enough depth/height for your printer it will be ok in my opinion.
My entire workshop is Kaboodle cupboards from Bunnings and in the previous installation I had my previous FDM UP! 3D printer in a cupboard as you propose, with appropriate holes to get cables in. The current Elegoo printer is too tall for this solution though.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2024, 12:16:57 AM »
You want some room to maneuver inside the enclosure (place and remove the lid easily, remove the build plate, etc.) so add space all around the printer; probably a hands with (or more) on the sides and about the lid size on top (or more). You don't want to tilt the vat when it has resin in it.

It might be worth buying a screen protector for the Mars as well as some spare nFEP/PFA film for the vat; your future self will thank you.