Author Topic: Hammerhead - Space Above and Beyond  (Read 126 times)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Hammerhead - Space Above and Beyond
« on: May 11, 2024, 08:08:30 PM »
Remember Space Above and Beyond... reasonably good Sci Fi show.. canned after one season, the marines were ground pounders one week and the next in the SA-43 Endo/Exo-Atmospheric Attack Jet  or the Hammerhead.

Some of it filmed in Australia where the full sized mockup lived for a while. Apparently there is an interesting story about some Russian sailors seeing the the full size mockup getting shipped to the US which lead to a flurry of frantic picture taking.
So one of my Resin 3D buddies printed out a Hammerhead from Thingiverse, we went largish, around 1/48, but that meant it had to be cut up a bit to fit on the print plate.
So fuselage in half and two wings complete with stores. The print came out ok, the stores were very average.
Somewhere I have a picture of the parts... cannot find it though. Image this in 4 bits

Things did not start out well, the join of the fuselage halves moved during the epoxy glue setting phase. Bin it.. start again, new fuselage halves

Warp forward 6-8 months later (around now  ;)  ) with replacement fuselage bits.. have another crack. Lots of Apoxy Sculpt to fill in gaps at the joins as trying to get the joins flush with
this resin is pretty hard. The stuff is rock hard and sometimes can shatter on you when drilling and sawing.

Better this time (see first picture). Using some 1/48 and 1/72 Aircraft missiles for stores and a bit of 3D created gubbins for sensor pods

Ok that went well so into the paint shop, this is the preliminary work with post shading. The Canopy is still masked off as that was painted first in gloss. It is solid so nothing to see inside.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Hammerhead - Space Above and Beyond
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 10:55:20 PM »
Looking good, BT! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 11:12:49 PM »
Yes indeed!  Looking very good.  A shame that SAAB only ran for the one season.  It was a good show with much potential.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 02:40:29 AM »
I do have a 1/48 Comet Miniatures SA-43 Hammerhead Fighter in the stash.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 02:40:41 AM »
Yes indeed!  Looking very good.  A shame that SAAB only ran for the one season.  It was a good show with much potential.

Agreed
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:57:50 AM »
Nice! Something different from Colonial Vipers or X Wings.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #6 on: Today at 07:13:16 AM »
Never saw the show or Hammerhead before.  Good of you to take on this build.
Looks like a Star Trek & Star Wars crossbreed to me.
Keep up the good work  :smiley: