Author Topic: Airfix  (Read 162464 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: Airfix
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2013, 11:02:15 PM »
Is it just me or is Airfix's pricing a lil all over the place ?

I think it may be partly because Airfix is trying to be honest with their pricing; reissues from old molds (which have already been paid off) are going to be cheaper than models from new molds. Some models may have been subcontracted to Poland or elsewhere, which may raise their prices.

Or... the Airfix price fixer has been going to the pub during work hours.

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2013, 11:09:34 PM »
Is it just me or is Airfix's pricing a lil all over the place ?

I think it may be partly because Airfix is trying to be honest with their pricing; reissues from old molds (which have already been paid off) are going to be cheaper than models from new molds. Some models may have been subcontracted to Poland or elsewhere, which may raise their prices.

Or... the Airfix price fixer has been going to the pub during work hours.

More likely i think !  ;D

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2013, 03:35:47 AM »
Well the 1/48 Javelin is finally available since I just purchased one:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2013, 03:49:16 AM »
What a beast!  First thing that comes to mind is an RCAF CF-99 Javelin armed with Sparrow AAM :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2013, 03:58:23 AM »
"Like" button pushed. 
 :)

kwyxdxLg5T

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2013, 04:12:03 AM »
After the Sea Vixen and now the Javelin, I am hoping Airfix continue with this trend of '50s era British jets in 1/48 and release a 1/48 Supermarine Swift and 1/48 Supermarine Scimitar.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2013, 04:14:00 AM »
What a beast!  First thing that comes to mind is an RCAF CF-99 Javelin armed with Sparrow AAM :)

RCAF would be natural.  I am tempted to do a Taiwanese one though...don't ask me why.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2013, 04:15:30 AM »

hmm! interesting idea  ---- ve e e r y interesting ----  :-*

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2013, 04:18:29 AM »
hmm! interesting idea  ---- ve e e r y interesting ----  :-*

I am an agent of the Devil though my duties are purely ceremonial in nature :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2013, 04:32:54 AM »
After the Sea Vixen and now the Javelin, I am hoping Airfix continue with this trend of '50s era British jets in 1/48 and release a 1/48 Supermarine Swift and 1/48 Supermarine Scimitar.

I could scarcely agree more.
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2013, 01:51:27 PM »

It would be even better if the released them in the one true scale, Greg.  ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2013, 04:46:43 PM »

It would be even better if the released them in the one true scale, Greg.  ;)

Bah!

Offline ChrisF

« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2013, 10:06:32 PM »
Worth shopping around for it too... I found it at wonderland models way cheaper than even my birthday discount allows on airfix.com

Airfix: £49.99
Wonderland: £39.99

I thought it seemed like quite expensive at first till i realised how big the beasty is :D

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2013, 09:25:02 AM »
Sprue review of the new Airfix 1:48th scale Gloster Javelin FAW.9/9R (kit number A12007) courtesy of Brett Green and Hyperscale

Click on image or html to view.

The FOD covers are a very nice feature.  Maybe something for the other kit makers to consider in the future to include with their own models as an option?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 09:35:35 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2013, 09:11:47 AM »
Don't you hate it when people or companies don't obey their instructions!  The memo clearly said new 1/48 Scimitar or Swift.  Yet what do they announce?  This:

:icon_bofh:

And it's not even 1/48.  Bloody 1/24!!! :icon_punal:

I suppose if you're interested you can look up more on it here.

Mutter, grumble.... :icon_twisted:

Offline ChrisF

« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2013, 09:35:47 AM »
Im still amazed theres no Victor... They do a Vulcan, and a Valiant... But arguably the most successful "V" bomber..... Nothing :/

And no-one else does one either so theres a pretty serious gap in the market....

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2013, 09:54:16 AM »
Yawn.  :icon_fsm:

Although, I would like to have the engine sprues for auto/marine modelling purposes.   8)
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2013, 10:07:04 AM »
The Sabre looks like a work of art in and of itself but I agree, its not a subject or a scale that particularly interests me.  A new 1/72 Victor or a Scimitar or a Swift, perhaps a pantographed down Javelin, now they'd be interesting! 

Offline ChrisF

« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2013, 10:50:39 AM »
Mildly interesting is a shot on their facebook page of a three bladed version too so there might be quite a few extra bits for the spares box in there... I reckon pricing will be the deal breaker here as while it looks lovely there are already perfectly good large scale Typhoons out there... Pacific coast etc... If they can undercut them well ....  ;)

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2013, 04:00:39 PM »
The Sabre looks like a work of art in and of itself but I agree, its not a subject or a scale that particularly interests me.  A new 1/72 Victor or a Scimitar or a Swift, perhaps a pantographed down Javelin, now they'd be interesting!

Nobody uses pantographs, actually 3-D engraving routers, any longer, and anyhow they were never used to scale down with an existing kit. New master patterns 1 1/2 to 3 times the size of the desired end product were always made and used to cut the moulds. If Airfix scale down the Javelin it'll be with a modified CAD data set.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2013, 04:39:26 PM »
Spoil sport!

When I did my apprenticeship (after three years at uni as I am a back to front sort of bloke) we had a pantograph sitting side by side with a coordinate drilling machine, a CNC mill and a pair of CNC lathes and an EDM jammed in  between.  There were also radial arm drills, lathes, mills, vertical and horizontal borers as well as cutter grinders, horizontal and vertical band saws, most of them bought second hand in the late 40s.  These days you walk into a machine shop or tool room and you will find a couple of multi axis machining centres that do everything; I imaging it wont be long until you see 3D printers added to the mix.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2013, 04:43:15 PM »
Spoil sport!

When I did my apprenticeship (after three years at uni as I am a back to front sort of bloke) we had a pantograph sitting side by side with a coordinate drilling machine, a CNC mill and a pair of CNC lathes and an EDM jammed in  between.  There were also radial arm drills, lathes, mills, vertical and horizontal borers as well as cutter grinders, horizontal and vertical band saws, most of them bought second hand in the late 40s.  These days you walk into a machine shop or tool room and you will find a couple of multi axis machining centres that do everything; I imaging it wont be long until you see 3D printers added to the mix.

Sounds very much like parts of my workshops at work.  We still use a pantograph at work...but only for name plates on people's desks, doors etc...

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
Don't you hate it when people or companies don't obey their instructions!  The memo clearly said new 1/48 Scimitar or Swift.  Yet what do they announce?  This:
Mutter, grumble.... :icon_twisted:

Actually Greg, Over on The Airfix Tribute Forum, the Hawker Typhoon topped out the poll they had there for the most wanted new tool 1/24 scale kit.  I guess they got what was voted for ---  Now they need those people to buy it --

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2013, 12:33:51 AM »
--  Now they need those people to buy it --

Yup. Speaking of which, I have never seen a 1/24 Mossie built up at a show. Wonder if they sold enough of them?

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2013, 01:28:42 AM »
--  Now they need those people to buy it --

Yup. Speaking of which, I have never seen a 1/24 Mossie built up at a show. Wonder if they sold enough of them?

My bro' has three of those Mosquito kits, none built though --