Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 904877 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #1100 on: August 15, 2014, 07:11:12 AM »
Another 'almost-was'. Having illustrated the unbuilt Tempest Mk.III, I decided to do another unbuilt Hawker fighter design from Tony Buttler's book, British Secret Projects 3: Fighters and Bombers 1935-1950. http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4576.msg76021#msg76021

The Hawker P.1027 was Hawker's first stab at a fighter powered by Rolls-Royce's new 42H engine (later dubbed the Eagle). In effect, the Sept 1943 design was a revised Tempest and that fighter's 42-foot span wing was used unchanged. However, I have assumed that the 39-ft 9-inch fuselage more closely resembled that of a Fury (albeit, being somewhat lengthened).

Although the appearance of the later Eagle-powered P.1030 is reasonably well-known, AFAIK, there are no surviving drawings of the P.1027. However, it is described as having a Mustang-like radiator bath and slightly smaller overall dimensions than the P.1030 which eclipsed it.

In the end, neither the P.1027 nor the larger P.1030 (with its leading-edge raditors) was built. Buttler also mentions an  even smaller Eagle-powered design -- the P.1032, a direct Fury derivative, Now that is a little harder to envision!

[Top] A hypothetical P.1027 prototype with its Rolls-Royce 46H Eagle powerplant exposed.

[Bottom] A whif production P.1027, the Hawker Cyclone F.1. This aircraft is shown in the markings of No.600 (City of London) Squadron, RAuxAF. It is assumed that No.600 replaced the Spitfire F.14e with the Hawker fighter (instead of the RW Spitfire F.21s and then F.22s).
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #1101 on: August 15, 2014, 01:29:47 PM »
Now, that's one sleek little aeroplane! :D

Kinda reminds me of the CAC CA-15 (only not as squared off at the tips). ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #1102 on: August 15, 2014, 11:11:03 PM »
 :-* Wonderful! No more need to invent jets!

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #1103 on: August 16, 2014, 01:14:08 AM »
I wonder if Hawker Australia would have built them for the RAAF before switching production to the Hawk and Seahawk for the RAAF and  RAN FAA respectively  ;)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #1104 on: August 16, 2014, 01:51:25 AM »
Now, that's one sleek little aeroplane! :D

Kinda reminds me of the CAC CA-15 (only not as squared off at the tips). ;)
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw that image.  Definitely a rather large and impressive brute of an aircraft.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1105 on: August 17, 2014, 05:26:09 AM »
Hmmm, a CA-15 Kangaroo development with an Oz-built Rolls-Royce Eagle might be interesting ...
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1106 on: August 21, 2014, 10:33:25 AM »
Evan mentioned the idea of a cleaned-up Żubr - http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=2060.msg76304#msg76304

I've had a go at lowering the wing of the LWS-6. Of course, it'd take a lot more than that to make the Żubr into any kind of looker!

With apologies to Zygmunt Szeremeta  ;)

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1107 on: August 22, 2014, 01:41:22 AM »
interesting! (in fact I had to ask Google what the "real" Zubr was looking like, to compare)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1108 on: August 22, 2014, 02:43:40 AM »
sigh…all these sexy ugly aircraft such as the LWS-6 Żubr and the somewhat similar

Amiot 143:

and Potez 540:

If only they were in 1/48 form…. ;)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #1109 on: August 22, 2014, 04:39:20 AM »
The Amiot does have the benefit of spats. :)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1110 on: September 10, 2014, 10:09:48 AM »
Pax 1940 - for the Anything but Military GB

Avro Type 684C Avalon airliners
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4722.msg77072#msg77072

Avro Type 686, Type 687, and Type 692 airliners
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4722.msg77073#msg77073

Rootes Group Type 149C Rapier and Type 149T Rocket feederliners
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4722.msg77213#msg77213

-------------------------------------------

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1111 on: October 16, 2014, 11:18:45 AM »
One that wouldn't fit into the Anything but Military GB ...

When KLM traded-in its early-model Fokker F.40A airliners, these aircraft were issued to the Luchtvaartafdeling (LVA). After re-painting, fitting of military equipment, and the installation of a navigator's station behind the cockpit, the F.40As were issued to 10 transportvliegtuigafdeling, the LVA's newly-established transport squadron.

In service, these aircraft were designated F.40A-Mv (or Militaire versie van de F.40A). But one F.40A-Mv, registered as X-14, was loaned back to Fokker to act as an armaments testbed. This aircraft was fitted with a fixed 7.9 mm FN Browning machine gun in the nose cone (fired by the co-pilot) and a T-V style dorsal gun position complete with sliding cover and hinged head shield. The dorsal gunner also remotely operated a third Browning, wobble-mounted in the tailcone.

After trials, the LVA decided not to arm the F.40A-Mv fleet. X-14 retained its gun positions but was returned to 10 TransVA, 3 LvR, at Eindhoven.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1112 on: October 16, 2014, 02:43:39 PM »
 :)

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #1113 on: October 16, 2014, 02:45:33 PM »
Very nice one! :)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #1114 on: October 16, 2014, 08:41:11 PM »
That's really fantastic, apophenia.

Cheers,

Logan

« Reply #1115 on: October 18, 2014, 12:18:47 AM »
Another nice one.
Just one question: are those tail markings on your Fokker also whiff?
... and kill me again
or take me as I am,
for I shall not change...
never...

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1116 on: October 18, 2014, 12:40:46 AM »
Nice silhouette!
Google does not know this Fokker F.40 at all, it seems, does it come completely from your imagination? (that would be even better...) ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1117 on: October 18, 2014, 03:24:16 AM »
Nice silhouette!
Google does not know this Fokker F.40 at all, it seems, does it come completely from your imagination? (that would be even better...) ;)

I think you will find that it is based upon the real world Fokker T.V:

Which people can get both 1/72 and 1/48 kits of which should they wish to replicate this creation in plastic.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1118 on: October 18, 2014, 09:51:12 AM »
Thanks folks!

Just one question: are those tail markings on your Fokker also whiff?

Well spotted Vuk! Not an intentional whiff, I just put on the Dutch flag upside down  :-[

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1119 on: October 18, 2014, 09:54:43 AM »
Pax 1940 - Italian and Romanian Savoia Marchetti derivatives

The Savoia Marchetti SM.79CM was perhaps the most straightforward of the bomber-to-airliner conversions. Based on the SM.79-I bomber, the SM.79CM followed the pattern of the earlier SM.79CS and SM.79T airliner versions.

The SM.79CM serie 1 was a production line modification of the SM.79-I bomber. Serie 2 aircraft had 800 hp Alfa Romeo 126 RC.10 engines. The Serie 3 introduced the 960 hp Alfa 128 RC.18 along with revised cabin windows.

(Top) Savoia Marchetti SM.79CM serie 3 in Ala Littoria's 1941 livery (like many airlines, Ala Littoria adopted a silver-grey finish in an attempt to match the nouvelle vogue of all-metal airliners). Behind the main ALI titles is the air mail slogan "Per via Aerea via Ala Littoria".

The SM.79CM was popular in ALI service, being more economical than the larger SM.84C and Fiat G.12CA trimotors and more reliable than the twin-engined Fiat G.18V

IAR.82 - The Italian 'Sparrowhawk' becomes a Romanian 'Stork'

In May 1937, Romania ordered 24 twin-engined SM.79B bombers powered by two Romanian-built Gnome-Rhône K14 radial engines. It was also intended that IAR would produce an improved Savoia-Marchetti bomber at Brașov. Those plans were scaled back and Ing. Elie Carafoli turned his attention to a civil derivative instead.

The resulting IAR.82 was a rather more ambitious design than the SM.79CM. The fuselage structure was totally re-designed. The passenger cabin was formed as a wooden box. The rest of the fuselage was of welded steel tubing -- the cockpit section clad in dural sheeting and the rear fuselage covered in fabric. The vertical tail of the planned IAR bomber was also adopted.

Marketed as the Brașov Barza (Stork), the IAR.82 was offered  to the Romanian airline, Liniile Aeriene Române Exploatate de Stat. LARES prefered the Lockheed 14 but this option was refused by the government in Bucharest.

LARES received the prototype Barza, YR-PAF, in the Spring of 1941. During LARES trials, the aircraft suffered a minor engine fire. The prototype was safely put down at Constanța but LARES had found its excuse to dump the Barza. The sole IAR.82 was transferred to FARR to support their SM.79B bombers. LARES eventually adopted the IAR 14K-powered PZL.44R Wicher.

« Reply #1120 on: October 18, 2014, 05:23:00 PM »

Well spotted Vuk! Not an intentional whiff, I just put on the Dutch flag upside down  :-[

Well, intentional or not, it's still a whiff  :)

By the way, it was not hard to spot it, since the reversed Dutch flag looks like Yugoslav. I will be embarrassed if I didn't see it...  ;)

Forgot to tell that I really like Savoias.
... and kill me again
or take me as I am,
never...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1121 on: October 19, 2014, 01:55:58 AM »
I love the Savoia Marchetti derivatives. :)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1122 on: November 03, 2014, 11:36:49 AM »
This ones for Vuk.

The story of early Yugoslav Blenheims is fairly well-known.* Bristol provided Blenheim Mk.I pattern aircraft and compenents for assembling at the Ikarus AD plant at Zemun/Belgrade. The resulting aircraft were designated Icarus B.1 by the Royal Yugoslav Air Force. Ikarus AD applied its own, internal designations and had begun to give evocative names to its designs. For the B.1, the name Bura was applied (after a strong Adriatic wind, to match Ikarus' Orkan).

The Blenheim Mk.Is were known to Ikarus AD as the B.1B - the suffix referring to the engine maker, Bristol. Unbuilt Ikarus B.1 projects also received designations, as follows:

- B.1P: PZL-built Bristol Mercury VIII, 840 hp
 - B.1N: Nohab (SFA) Mercury XXIV, 980 hp**

Ikarus was not able to glean stocks of Mercury engines from any source. Of necessity, plans turned to substitute engine types. As new member of the Axis 'Pact of Steel', the Kingdom of Yugoslavia (Kraljevina Jugoslavija) could now choose more freely among Italian and German engines.

Two B.I airframes were set aside for re-engining. One, br.3556, was to test alternative single-row radials at the B.2. The second, br.3547, was to be converted to test twin-row radial substitute engines.

_______

* Less well-known is the Icarus B.4, a single conversion to a Blenheim Mk.IV-style nose. Some 20 B.4s were ordered from Ikarus but not completed (having been overtaken by events). The sole B.4 (br.3535) was converted to photo-recce B.4f standards and transferred first to the Regia Aeronautica and then to the Luftwaffe.

** In 1941, Nohab Flygmotorfabriker AB became SFA (Svenska Flygmotor Aktiebolaget)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1123 on: November 03, 2014, 11:39:02 AM »
Yugoslav Blenheim Developments - the Bura Radial Engine Testbeds

The Icarus B.2 was a relatively straightforward conversion performed at Zemun using the B.1 YU-BAN (L6831/3556). The resulting B.2R fitted twin 780 hp Alfa Romeo 126 RC.34 engines in place of the Blenheim's Mercury radials. The lower-powered Alfas were not an ideal choice but were readily available.* However, the conversion had to potential to free up dwindling Yugoslav stocks of Mercury radials for the in-service B.1 bombers.

Other B.2 single-row radial engine testbeds were planned but not completed. These were:

- B.2B: Bramo 323 Fafnir 323P-1, 940 PS
 - B.2H: BMW 132K ('Hornet'), 960 PS
 - B.2W: Wright R-1820-G205A, 1,200 hp *

The B-2R was not the first Bura engine testbed. With Ikarus overwhelmed with work, the B.3P conversion was performed by Piaggio in Italy. The B.1, YU-BAE (L6823/br.3547), was flown to Malpensa (Milan) where Piaggio fitted twin 986 hp P.XI RC 40 radials in cowlings provided by Officine Meccaniche Reggiane SpA.

As with the B.2, other twin-row radials were considered. These were:

- B.3K: DFA Kraljevo-built GR 14K, 850 hp
 - B.3F (I): Fiat A.80 RC.41 18-cyliner, 1,000 hp
 - B.3F (II): Fiat A.74 RC.38 14-cylinder, 870 hp

_______

* This was the result of VVKJ SM.79P bombers being re-fitted with more powerful PZL-built Pegasus engines in their noses. The now-surplus Alfa Romeo 126s went to the Bura program.

Forgot to mention: The sideviews are based on a  Yugoslav Bleheim by Ognjan M. Petrovic:  http://leadenskybooks.com/?contents
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:41:28 AM by apophenia »

« Reply #1124 on: November 03, 2014, 04:12:40 PM »
This ones for Vuk...

Sir... I'm honored! Qapla'!
... and kill me again
or take me as I am,
never...