Author Topic: MiG-31 Firefox  (Read 3419 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
MiG-31 Firefox
« on: February 09, 2015, 04:45:28 AM »
Hi all,
Surely one of the best-known hypothetical aircraft of all time (behind Aurora and the F-19), star of the book and movie of the same name:
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0244.shtml

There are three kits of the film version that I'm aware of: Planet X and Anigrand in 1/72, and an Anigrand 1/144. Any others?

Also...what happened to the 1/1 example built for filming? I've just read it was chopped and changed for the Chevy Chase movie Deal Of The Century (see )...but then what? I'd love to see it recreated (or restored if it still exists) for a museum somewhere.

Also also....what do you think the book version would look like? There are some studio concept models in the link above, but I'm keen to see what the Forum thinks a book MiG-31 would be.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: MiG-31 Firefox
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 06:33:43 AM »
A real-life "Firefox" would probably look closer to a lines blend of MiG's I-42 and some of the more advanced derivatives of Sukhoi's T-4.

I have been told that the studio's designers did consult with some of the Northrop team behind the YF-23, but I can't prove it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 02:19:52 AM »
There is also the 1/48 Studio 2 Models one - which i have a copy of  ;). It is a resin kit that comes with 2 Vacform canopies and white metal landing gear.

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 03:28:22 AM »
There is also a paper one on zealot.com. Not sure what scale
the paper gods demand sacrifice