Author Topic: NVMS Jan Zonder Vrees  (Read 3732 times)

Offline Spey Phantom

• 1/144 addict
  • the modeler formerly known as Nils.
NVMS Jan Zonder Vrees
« on: January 26, 2013, 06:45:45 PM »
the NVMS Jan Zonder Vrees (english translation: "Fearless John") is the New Flanders Navy's newest aircraft carrier, it is a refurbished ex-Belgian light carrier, surrently in upgrade and is expected to be introduced into service in the spring of 2013.
to equip its fighter force, the navy has ordered 18 MIG-29K's (14 single seat MIG-29K's and 4 2-seat MIG-29KUB's)

the model itsself is my old 1/144 Belgian Navy light aircraft carrier "BNS Dendermonde", built a number of years back. after noticing breaks and cracks in the island superstructure, i decided to give the ship a refit and upgrade.
as a change of pace, i decided to rebuild it as a STOBAR aircraft carrier, since the deck's already running crooked, almost like a ski-jump. the island supertructure was damaged and repair would mean a complete scrapping of it, so i decided to build a new one from scratch.
as for deck markings, i went for a combination of Western and Russian style layouts.

there is still a lot of work to be done, including completion and detailing of the new superstructure, addition of the airwing and fitting of OLS and self defence systems.

the airwing will consist of 3 MIG-29K's (2 mig-29K single seaters and 1 KUB twinseater), 1 EC635N and a S-70B Seahawk.
the first MIG-29K, a KUB 2-seater has already been build (converted revell 1/144 mig-29A, with canopy and cockpit from a revell F/A-18D). the 2 single seaters will follow shortly.

on the bench:
-various models

on the drawing board:
-various 1/72 TinTin aircraft
-1/72 Eurocopter Tiger (Belgian Army)
-various other 1/72 and 1/144 aircraft

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: NVMS Jan Zonder Vrees
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 02:14:57 AM »
Great work!!! :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 05:50:03 AM »
Yowsa Nils! That's an ambitious project which it seems you're pulling off without even breaking a sweat!

Absolutely fantastic!

Brian da Basher

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 06:07:13 AM »
Gad Zooks  :o
Great build and fabrication.  Quite the ship yard  :-*
So ambitious........
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 06:57:00 AM by finsrin »