Author Topic: 1/72 Soviet Stanislavsk St-1 from the KP Avia BH-3  (Read 4398 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 Soviet Stanislavsk St-1 from the KP Avia BH-3
« on: June 10, 2016, 05:58:26 PM »

World famous as an actor and director, Constantin Stanislavski's brief foray into aircraft design has been totally forgotten today.

Stanislavski had a habit of doodling on scraps of paper during downtime while directing plays. Since flying machines were wildly popular, these made up most of his sketches after 1910. Eventually he started to refine his drawings and by the 1930's, one design seemed to hold promise for development.

The design was incredibly cutting-edge for the time, especially considering that the designer's main talents were in the theatre and not in aeronautics.

The aircraft was a sesquiplane and had incredibly modern features such as cantilever wings, all metal construction, an enclosed cockpit and the most intimidating, streamlined spatted landing gear yet seen in the Soviet Union.

This design would eventually become known as the Stanislavski St-1.

During intermission of the interminable A Discussion on the Dialectic Principles of Collectivization in Fifteen Acts at the Moscow Workers' & Peasants' Theatre in early 1930, Stanislavski showed a sketch of this design to Soviet leader Stalin who was keen to modernize the Red Air Force.

A team of crack engineers was brought in to work with Stanislavski and help build a prototype. It was hoped the new aircraft would provide the Red Air Force with the modern fighter it so desperately needed.

Initial flight trials were promising and a huge order was placed for the new biplane.

When production started, the famous Stanislavski method was used in which the workers tried to "become the biplane" with predictably disastrous results.

Not one worker was able to successfully "become the biplane" so no completed aircraft ever rolled off the line and into service. Eventually this was all scrapped and Stalin erased any traces of this epic boondoggle from the official record. Stanislavski was disheartened and started sketching birds instead of airplanes. Nothing remains today of this once promising aircraft except this crude promotional model found among Stanislavski's possessions after he died in 1938.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 08:39:08 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/72 Soviet Stanislavsk St-1 from the KP Avia BH-3
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 06:50:41 PM »
This all started when a good friend sent me a 1/72 KP Avia BH-3 Czech monoplane. Mine came in a conveniently pre-crushed box. This matched the pre-crushed box the first one I built came in over 20 years ago.

I think KP puts all their Avia BH-3's in pre-crushed boxes. If any of you have ever seen one of these in a non pre-crushed box, please let me know. Actually, the box is great. While the art on the front is truly stirring, what really makes this box rock is the cool full-color painting guide on the back.

This kit seems to be of 1960's or 70's vintage which means it's very basic and lacking in detail - perfect for my needs!

That parts count can't be over 20 and even less if you don't plan on using the cockpit parts or the wheels. After giving the parts a good look it became clear to me what had to be done. I started the biplane conversion by gluing the wings together and cutting out a notch to aid pilot visibility.

Next I had to figure out what to use for the lower wing. Luckily, the horiz. stabs. from an incomplete He-219 Uhu I decided to part out were a perfect fit.

I also added spats from a Fiat CR-42 and a bomb-half as a canopy after sanding back the prominent head rest. Then I noticed a little radiator on the kit's sprues and replaced it with the tail half of a 1/144 drop-tank as a tunnel radiator. Here's a good shot of the new cooling system.

I was hoping these changes would make my biplane look more modern.

After deciding I could use the kit's struts with a couple of extras thrown in, I assembled the rest of the model and headed off to the paint shop.

The model was brush-painted by hand in acrylics, Polly-Scale Lettering Gray mostly with Model Masters Aluminum used on the engine and semi-gloss white primer for the rudder. The canopy was tinted with Model Masters Gloss Black and a touch of Jet Exhaust was used on the exhaust pipes.

Decals were swiped from a 1/72 Special Hobby Soviet Vultee V-11.

Since this was going to be a prototype, I didn't include any numbers or registration codes, which was good thinking as my decal stash is a bit limited when it comes to Cyrillic characters.

It took me three days and change to put all this together. Things fell together so well it almost felt like the model wanted to be built this way. Maybe part of the reason things worked out so smoothly is that this is a pretty small kit. Here's a shot with a U.S. penny included for scale.

I had a lot of fun on this project and it helped me alleviate a bunch of work stress.

I hope you enjoyed the Stanislavski St-1 and reading a little more forgotten aircraft history.

Here's one last shot that shows off those fearsome spats!

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 09:07:14 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 07:47:24 PM »
Beautiful!  Both the model and back story are great!  I love the poster behind "Uncle Joe", too; I can definitely get behind that form of "Marx-ism".

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 09:02:17 PM »
That's different, well done Mr Dabasher 8) 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 11:42:18 PM »
Beautiful transformation!
The story is fantastic as well and Groucho is a perfect soviet Icon

Antonio

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 11:54:22 PM »
Comrade Brianskov, this is a fine representation of dialectical materialism vis-a-vis the class struggle between aircraft that want to fly into the greater collective sky and the capitalist gravity that tries to keep them on the ground. Comrade Stalin would be pleased! (yeah, I have no clue as to what this means)

I have this kit. I'm almost certain it came in a pre-crushed box as well. I believe it's a kit feature, not a bug!

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 11:57:06 PM »
Nice model!
You say this was in the early 1930s (for modernizing) while the monoplane version is 1921-1927 according to Wikipedia
"First flight 1921, Introduction 1923, Retired 1927" see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avia_BH-3 ...
But I understand the two are just looking like each others, being completely different aircraft ;)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 12:28:29 PM »
Brilliant stuff Brian! And those Uhu stabilizers make perfect biplane wings  :)

Comrade Brianskov, this is a fine representation of dialectical materialism vis-a-vis the class struggle between aircraft that want to fly into the greater collective sky and the capitalist gravity that tries to keep them on the ground. Comrade Stalin would be pleased! (yeah, I have no clue as to what this means)

di·a·lec·ti·cal ma·te·ri·al·ism: noun  The Marxist theory (adopted as the official philosophy of Soviet communism) that any amount of bollocks made complicated enough will sound highly plausible. (For contrast, see: Monetarism where being simplistic is what made the round objects seem plausible to the gullible.)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 02:22:41 PM »
Hi Brian, You are a Crack!!!! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 01:04:46 AM »
Look, that's all very well, but where did the proletariat get a U.S. penny from?????
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 05:43:18 AM »
Top job Brian, I love it! You really must have become the biplane to produce this top-class model. Bravo.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 06:24:34 PM »
Look, that's all very well, but where did the proletariat get a U.S. penny from?????

Brian is the General Secretary of the Foreign Exchange Treasury Tin & proudly displays the Proletariat's Reserve of Foreign Currency at every opportunity! :))

You'd be amazed at how many members of the Treasury Special Operations Response Team are crammed into Brian's flat at times like this; protecting the Reserve from the Proletariat, the Capitalist Pigdogs, the GenSec FETT (Brian) & each other.

You can't trust anyone with this Capitalist Foreign Currency, you know! :-\
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."