Author Topic: Logan's Profiles - 8x8 Scimitar  (Read 367083 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Logan's Profiles - Japanese A9He1-N "Wade" Floatplane
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2012, 07:32:43 AM »
I can see some South American operators of this...

And maybe the Greeks (instead of the Hs-126)?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2012, 07:51:24 AM »
Looks good, Logan. Great job!

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2012, 03:16:33 PM »
Very nice Logan. The He-46 always seemed business-like but I'd never have described it as 'handsome' until now!

...Some of (all?) the He46Fs had cowlings but those were less shapely than yours. I don't think any had spinners and they certainly lacked spats! Your 'G-1 is a vast improvement  :)

Thanks!  The Hungarian He 46Es had a cowled engine and spinner, but it was a lower-mounted engine that I don't think looked quite as good, and the spats do something nice for the hypothetical -G.  The Spanish fabricated some spats for at least one of their -Cs, but the uncowled engine always has a distinctly 1920s feel to my eyes.

I can see some South American operators of this...

Hmm, I'll see what I can do later.

And maybe the Greeks (instead of the Hs-126)?

That's one I was already planning on.  I have about 1/2 dozen countries lined up in my head to receive some.

By the way, I showed the finished profile off to my dad when I saw him today and he really liked what I'd done with his original drawing.  He's also appreciative of all the nice comments from the forum members here, so thanks for all the kind words.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline apophenia

« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2012, 07:02:17 AM »
Logan: Thanks, didn't know that the Hungarian 'Es had those features. I found a drawing -- that 'E-2 has a really long-chord cowling. Did they have the same SAM 322 engine or something new, I wonder?

Looking forward to the Greek AF version!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2012, 07:33:01 AM »
It was a Manfred Weiss engine, a license-built variant of the Gnome-Rhône 14K, if memory serves.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2012, 09:19:11 AM »
"Shiny.  Let's be bad guys."

The development and testing of the BMW 132-powered He 46G took some time due to the trial and error required in resolving the severe vibration encountered at high RPMs.  Eventually, however, Heinkel began construction of a pre-production batch of He 46G-0s.  This profile depicts one such aircraft, still bearing its civilian Luftfahrzeugkennzeichen during factory trials prior to its delivery to the Luftwaffe for acceptance testing.  It has its full suite of equipment fitted, the greater power of the He 46G allowing for a higher gross weight compared to previous variants.  It is painted in overall RLM 01 silver, the standard for prototypes at that time.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2012, 09:49:31 AM »
Looks like the one that the Doctors Jones stole from the Zeppelin in '38.

Nice work.  ;)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2012, 10:39:23 AM »
It was a Manfred Weiss engine, a license-built variant of the Gnome-Rhône 14K, if memory serves.

Thanks Logan. That was my memory too but a quick search brought no confirmation.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2012, 01:21:21 PM »
How about another, but this time with camouflage?

Well, that's it for the night.  I hope you guys enjoy it!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Flitzer

• Was reportedly smuggled out of Germany under Operation Paperclip
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2012, 03:48:58 PM »
Lovely delicate shading and tones.

Love it.

P

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2012, 06:09:49 PM »
Very good looking

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2012, 06:40:31 PM »
Nice.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2012, 02:04:31 AM »
Now your just showin' off! Very, very nice.  :-*
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2012, 02:57:45 AM »
Looks like the one that the Doctors Jones stole from the Zeppelin in '38.

Nice work.  ;)

Yeah, I didn't respond to this comment, because I already had these in the works.

This one is pretty much the exact scheme from the movie, but it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.  In 1938, all German aircraft, civilian or military, would have had the Hakenkreuz on the red band on the tail, but somehow the one on the Zeppelin got around this.  Instead, the have the Balkenkreuz on the fuselage.  That was reserved for Luftwaffe aircraft, but the civil code on the side suggests that it wasn't Luftwaffe?  The font is wrong for the codes, etc.  Anyway, it has a lot of basic inaccuracies, which I "corrected" in my own version below.

Still within the contextual logic of the movie and the Zeppelin scene, this is a more accurate scheme, though I must admit that the black spars eventually grew on me and I'm kind of sorry to have removed them, although they didn't fit German schemes of the period.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2012, 03:37:32 AM »
I should have known you'd be coming out with those. They both look good and, yes, the markings in the movie didn't make much sense to me either. Considering how Jones Senior shot up the tail of the plane, I'm almost surprised they didn't put the Hakenkreuz there. I confess to liking the black spars too!

Now all you need is the Arado trainer painted like a 109...

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2012, 06:47:09 AM »
Good looking Heinkels

Offline apophenia

« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2012, 06:57:43 AM »
Logan: Nice! Looks really sharp in that splinter camouflage  :-*

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2012, 10:02:53 AM »
Thanks for the compliments, everyone!  How about another Last Crusade profile?

Lovely delicate shading and tones.

Love it.

Thanks, Flitzer.  A lot of people may not realize it, but the lighting and shading is actually different on each profile to suit the amount of wear and the type of paint on each plane, so I thank you for noticing it.  A lot of effort goes into even the little details on my profiles, hence my custom title "rivet-counting whiffer".

Considering how Jones Senior shot up the tail of the plane, I'm almost surprised they didn't put the Hakenkreuz there.

Yeah, there was no shortage of swastikas throughout the rest of the movie.  Maybe the Stampe was German-registered or something and they weren't allowed to put one on it?  That's my best guess.

Shortly after the Republic of Hatay declared independence in the latter half of the 1930s, it began preparing for its own defense.  While most of its armed forces were limited to camels, horses, desert vehicles, and tanks, the small air arm did acquire some aircraft.  The aircraft were primarily acquired from Germany, an early supporter of the new republic.  Ten Heinkel He 46G-1s were procured on a German loan received after granting the Luftwaffe the right of using the Hatay airspace.

Some of the more fantastic tales surrounding this agreement link it to Hitler's obsession with religious artifacts, specifically in the state of Hatay, but these are pure conjecture.  The is no evidence to support these claims, the brief visit by German military advisors in 1938 merely being assistance with a military exercise the Hatay Army was conducting at the time.  The interruption of these exercises by pro-Syrian rebels did not help German attempts to keep their involvement low-profile, as fighting produced casualties on both sides.  Through a combination of bad planning, untrained conscript soldiers, and sheer bad luck, the 1938 exercises became a fiasco.  Some vehicles were damaged by rebels and abandoned, while a tank was lost due to mechanical failure, although one report described it as having driven off a cliff after the driver passed out from heat stroke.  To add insult to injury, Bedouin tribesmen in the area stole a number of horses and camels that were left unguarded at one point during the exercise.  The exercises, already frowned upon by neighboring Turkey and France did not help Hatay's relations with its neighbors and would not be repeated.  Likewise, Germany would end its formal involvement with the Republic of Hatay at this time.

How does the dust look?  Did it come out looking alright?  The camo comes from this vehicle (a fake Kubelwagen), which I had never realized was even camouflaged due to all the dust on it.  The roundels, flag, etc. all come from the vehicles in the movie, too.  Here's the same plane without the dust layers, so you can see what it looks like with the full color.

Well, I hope you all enjoyed the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade profiles!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline apophenia

« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »
Thanks for the comparison Logan, The dust layer looks great -- especially on the upper surface of the wing!

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2012, 11:16:44 AM »
Logan, these are incredible, it's this kind of attention to detail that pushes me to improve my own profiles. I admit to being lazy sometimes but your work is definately an inspiration.  :)
Doom!
Jeff G.

« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2012, 05:13:15 PM »
The Indy-inspired schemes are terrific!

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2012, 05:19:29 PM »
Nice Heinkels Logan,very neat profiles.
What can I say?I'm a fan of your work
Keep up

Alex
Alex

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2012, 12:02:53 AM »
Thanks for the comparison Logan, The dust layer looks great -- especially on the upper surface of the wing!

Thanks, apophenia.  I use a lot of the same patterns and filters, I just scale them differently and employ them in different ways.

Logan, these are incredible, it's this kind of attention to detail that pushes me to improve my own profiles. I admit to being lazy sometimes but your work is definately an inspiration.  :)

Your work is gorgeous, Doom, and you were one of the profilers that originally inspired me to start doing profiles at all!  You could say that without the likes of you and Gekko, my profiles wouldn't exist at all.  If my work inspires you at this point, I merely consider it to be giving some of it back.

The Indy-inspired schemes are terrific!

Thanks, Empty Handed!  I have to admit, I REALLY liked writing the "official" explanation of what happened during the Last Crusade.  By the way, I've been loving your recent Republic aircraft, especially the very pretty F4N.

Nice Heinkels Logan,very neat profiles.
What can I say?I'm a fan of your work
Keep up

Thanks, AXU, and I of yours.  I especially loved your Peruvian Yak-2.15.  That just looked right.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »
I hate to tell you Logan, but you belong here. These H-46s prove it!

They're all so sweet I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite, but I can just imagine all the work that went into that amazing splinter scheme.

Most excellent!

Brian da Basher

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2012, 02:16:19 PM »
In case anybody's wondering, I've gone back to working on the XP-61F.  It wants my soul.  Every square inch of aluminum on that plane fights me.  That being said, I love its looks.  I also fear trying to convert it to work with other profile schemes.  Once I get all the detail work done and get happy with it, I'll need to spend a week just cleaning it up so I can actually work with it.  Right now it really is like a hand-made prototype, nowhere near ready for production.

I do find it ironic how much the art process mirrors real life subject sometimes.

Cheers,

Logan