Author Topic: FJ-4B Fury US Navy VU-7  (Read 5915 times)

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
  • now if I just had time to finish all my projects!!
FJ-4B Fury US Navy VU-7
« on: February 26, 2015, 04:01:20 PM »
Finally for now this, one was for a Sabre STGB and as usual I went for something a bit different, a FJ-4B Fury done in a very unusual colour scheme.

!/48th scale models of the Fury are not that common or very accurate, and I found a cheap Grand Phoenix one which had resin bits!!

Well it was cheap for a reason...the model is crap! It took lots and lots of work to get right and most of this was due to the warped fuselage. In the end I finally managed to beat it into shape and produce something that wasn’t too bad. Scary thing is I have another one in the stash....least the fuselage isn’t warped on that one (yes I forgot about it when I was building this one, it would have made it sooo much easier swapping over fuselages!).

The engine covers are there to hide the issues in the intake! The under carriage has been replaced with white metal ones as they were completely wrong and didn't git the aircraft it's unusual stance. The aircraft is in "Target Tug" hence the single drop tank, I have photos of this actual aircraft in this unusual config.

Enjoy

link to build: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234965221-completed-148-grand-phoenix-fj-4b-fury/

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: FJ-4B Fury US Navy VU-7
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 04:11:08 PM »
Splendid :)
Model aint crap after you built it.  As fan of post war to mid 60s era I sure do like how Fury turned out.

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 12:14:33 AM »
You certainly made it shine and that you picked one of the best color schemes out there!  8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 12:55:29 AM »
 :-* beautiful scheme, beautifully done. WOW!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 01:38:45 AM »
Luverly, the tug scheme is wonderful.  :)
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 04:26:17 AM »
It's already been said.  Just impressive. Now I'm thinking about what I have in the stash that could wear that colorful scheme...

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
  • now if I just had time to finish all my projects!!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 04:55:37 AM »
thanks for all the nice comments, it really appreciated.

VU-7 (along with VU-5) were navy utility squadrons that were mainly used for training duties as target tugs, or airborne targets for radar systems, in-flight refuelling, along with other admin stuff.  Right up till it changed to VC-7 in 65, they also used A-4D's and F-8U's.

Only the colourful Fury's were used as target tugs.

But there is no reason why you couldn't paint up a Skyhawk or Crusader the same, they'd look awesome!!

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 06:06:57 AM »
Beautiful job!

Love the unusual paint scheme and asymmetric loadout.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 11:44:53 AM »
Beautiful job!!  I believe there was at least one F8U done up in a similar scheme as a drone controller.  I've often thought of a diorama of it sitting next to a KD2U Regulus II drone, both by Vought.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 01:14:08 AM »
That's incredibly well done and you've certainly captured that colorful Navy target tug scheme to a T!

The scuffing on the drop tank is a very nice detail indeed.

Brian da Basher

Offline GaryF

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 08:14:15 AM »
Plenty of others wore that scheme ... DC-130, P-2 Neptune, JD (B-26 Invader), F4D Skyray, AD-5 Skyraider plus a few of the single seat versions, F7F Tigercat including some with a Bearcat canopy grafted on behind the pilot for drone operator, F8U Crusader, DT-28 Trojan.  Seems like I'm forgetting something obvious but that's a good group to start ...

cheers

Few more, including F6F Hellcat, DF9 Panther, DF8 Bearcat, C-1/S-2, and of course the great example above, the Fury!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:55:31 AM by GaryF »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 04:05:52 AM »
Thanks for jogging my addled memory, Gary! After I took another delicious scroll through the pics, I kept thinking I'd seen a Neptune in that scheme, but figured maybe that was just the bourbon...

Brian da Basher

Offline youngtiger1

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 02:07:29 PM »
Nice work. I totally love the utility color scheme. I think that's what it is called.  ???

Mike