Author Topic: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - Finished  (Read 22285 times)

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
  • now if I just had time to finish all my projects!!
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - update 01/8
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 06:30:13 AM »
Looking good - you willing to offer castings for others once you have perfected?

maybe!   ;)

this might be the start of "Trickyrich Enterprises INC"!    ;D

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 06:44:18 PM »
Well after another day of casting I’ve finished what I had planned to do and normal building resumed!

The new elevators have been cleaned up and look pretty good, just need a coat of undercoat to checkout the finish.

The bomb-bay cutout has been filled with card, the gun pod needs a flat surface so it was either this or use the supplied resin plug……….this way was simpler.

The cockpit has now finally been fitted, that little bit of work sorting out the fuselage was worth it, it fits really nicely. I can now focus on completing the internals before the canopy goes on.

Speaking of which, it too fits really nicely, it won’t take much to have some nice clean joins here.

Sorry about the photo, but after the 4th attempt I gave up so this is it! I needed to do a thin strip of plastic along the RHS wing root to level it up. Plus you can see the plugs fore and aft to help locate the wings correctly. When fitted just a thin strip will be need at the back plus some thin strip underneath to fill some gaps in the wing/fuselage join. Cleaning this area up again should be nice and simple.

Plus finally I was able to fit the engines…though I did forget to do panel lines on them! The final alignment and fitting took sometime to make sure everything was square. Even still it does look out, though it is exactly square, will blame the camera for that!

And how does it all look now…..fantastic! All the major work is completed, I just need to clean up the joins on the engines to wing, they’ll be nice and simple, along with the wings. Then complete the model as normal, even the drop tanks fit correctly.

Oh and the results of my casting, am very happy with them. Now have all the bits to build another one!!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 02:15:22 AM »

Oh and the results of my casting, am very happy with them. Now have all the bits to build another one!!

Or to sell them... ;)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - 09/8 update
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 02:17:31 AM »
This is going to look outstanding when finished!

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - 09/8 update
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 05:11:12 PM »
have done more work in this one while I wait for the new cockpit for the Tropic Moon build to arrive!! (actually think the it’s gotten lost in the post so have had to order another one…expensive and frustrating!)

I wasn’t quite happy with the way the fairings for the engine to wing look so decided to change them. I have continued the shape of the original bulge on the engine to the wing, this gives me an smoother and better looking fairing. This was made with some plastic strip and filler, simple and quick.

Have just about finished the cockpit and RO’s station finally! After the final painting I just need to find a gunsight, then everything can be closed up.

All the resin bit have been given a undercoat of neutral grey to help show up the flaws and scribing stuff-ups, there is a bit of work to do but nothing some 600 or 800 grit and Mr Surface 500 can’t fix!

She now looks much more together now she is basically a single colour. Plus this is a hint of her final colour scheme!

Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - 10/8 update
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2015, 07:15:02 PM »
That is looking beautiful.
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2015, 03:19:29 AM »
 Indeed, its been an inspiration watching the progress of this build.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2015, 08:55:08 AM »
That is outstandingly good work, on all aspects! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline b29r

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2015, 12:04:05 AM »
Dude . . . . that is just tremendous  8)  Can't wait to see more!

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2015, 05:06:58 AM »
Have I mentioned I want one? Cos I really do.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Steve Blazo

• The man likes white plastic...weird.
    • flickr
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 05:46:35 AM »
Very nice work indeed !! :)
As I walk through the valley of death,
I have no fear, because I am the meanest mother*ucker in the whole valley.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2015, 07:27:45 PM »
That's a beauty! :)
Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2015, 04:36:56 PM »
Well back to this build after a bit of a break, though I had been doing little bits and pieces to it every now and again.

The wing was fitted without too much drama at all. Some careful measuring was needed to make sure everything was nice and square. There were only some minor gaps on the underside of the wing where it met the fuselage. These were easily fixed with some plastic strip and filler. Sorry I forgot to take photos of this.

First main bit is the props. I cut my new props off their original spinners then drilled a 0.4mm hole in them so I could fit a wire pin.

I did the same to the spinners, though I did manage to snap the tip of the drill inside one of the shafts!!!  Next I fitted steel pins to the props and test fitted to the spinners, then to the engines. The props just touched the fuselage so some alterations were required.

The stubs on the spinner were removed and very slightly drilled out, this was just enough for the props to sit nicely.

They actually look quite good, a million times better than the originals!

Next the cockpits, seat belts were fitted along with all the final bits and pieces, plus a final touch-up with paint. The cockpit windscreen was made from a piece of thick plastic I had and its thickness makes it look quite realistic, and as a bonus it fitted!

With this final task done the cockpit were closed up.

With all this done a quick coat of paint to see how much work I have! The canopy needs some work, for some reason it’s wider than the lower section and they’re the original parts! As mentioned previously there are some issues with the Hasegawa kit and its fit. There are a few little spots that need a dab of filler, but on the whole it’s not too bad.

I am half tempted to leave the spinners/intakes in their natural aluminium as they look quite good, but of cause the metal paint sure shows up any flaws!!

I think I have finally decided on a colour scheme. I have decided to make her an all-weather, day/night fighter, so she’ll be the usual RLM 75/76 nightfighter colour scheme, but rather in an all-weather scheme fairly similar to some of the late war Fw-190’s or Me-262’s.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - 22/8 update
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2015, 05:09:36 PM »
Now with amazing props, windscreen, and rest 8)
Looking Luft 46ish to me !

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2015, 03:31:58 AM »
Looking good.

What's the source for the new prop blades?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 05:14:49 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2015, 04:32:57 AM »
I have to say that I really don't like cockpit area in this plane. Too clunky, unaerodynamic etc...just ugly as h^&% But the rest is simply beautiful. Good job :)
Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2015, 05:35:41 AM »
Looking good.

What's the source for the new prop blades?

they started off as props from an Airfix 1/72nd Mosquito (regular and paddle ones), they were the only thing I had in spares that were sort of suitable. I did want them to be a bit more triangular in shape but there wasn't enough material in the original. I may at some stage replace them with some custom ones once I get a bit more clever with my resin casting!

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2015, 03:11:48 PM »
Looks great  :-*

Offline Steve Blazo

• The man likes white plastic...weird.
    • flickr
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2015, 10:52:05 AM »
Certainly has a good look, great job !!
As I walk through the valley of death,
I have no fear, because I am the meanest mother*ucker in the whole valley.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2015, 12:34:09 PM »
Looking really, really good!

Also digging the Skyshark!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2015, 05:46:43 PM »
thanks for all the nice comments, glad everyone is enjoying the build, I am for sure!!

Ok back to the beast after a little break.

So more of the same to start, sanding filling sanding again, and more filling…….plus a little bit of panel re-scribing, then repeat of the first two!! Till I was at a stage I was happy with, actually I’d had enough of the filling and sanding! Time to get ready for painting.

So on with all those little PE bits that are just waiting to get knocked off or squashed! Those PE bits for the trim tabs were tiny and such a pain to put on! I would like to say now that all the PE bits have survived what’s was coming up…..but I did manage to squash the DF loop….so it’s been removed and will be panel beaten later on!

The periscope appears in the drawings for most the other version but not this one, so I’m tossing up whether to leave it on or remove it. In which case I will have to fill up the hole for it!

I’m also tossing up when to fit the Naxos (FuG) -350, which needs to go on the canopy, to the right and slightly behind the pilot. It might be beat to leave this to last!

Ok with that all done a undercoat of Lt. Grey acrylic was applied.

Next some banding followed by some pre-shading. I still can’t airbrush straight lines to save myself!

Now the under surface colour. I am for the first time using Vallejo Model Air paint, RLM 76 in this case. I have read some horror stories with this paint so I was a bit nervous using it. I used it straight from the bottle at the correct air pressure ~18psi and it worked a treat!!! It would have to be some of the best paint I have ever used, even better than the Life Color!!!! It just went on so easy and smoothly, I’m just so happy with the finish. The only thing I noticed is takes just a little bit longer to dry.

The results below speak for themselves! Just in case anyone was wondering, the banding was left unmasked on purpose…..and why is there banding? All will be revealed once the paint job is complete. The remaining colours I’ll be using are in the background and there’ll be diagonal banding!

And the boy’s altogether! The Arado does look like a Viking!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - 28/8 update
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2015, 02:36:56 AM »
Now that's one gorgeous model.  I look forward to seeing the finished work.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2015, 04:43:25 AM »
so I’m tossing up whether to leave it on or remove it. In which case I will have to fill up the hole for it!

I would leave it.

The Arado does look like a Viking!

Which screams "Carrier based version!!!" with folding outer wing panels ;)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2015, 06:00:01 AM »
It's looking sofa king great!

I would keep the periscope.
With the Vallejo paints you can have adhesion issues depending on the thickness of the paint, the underlying layer (plastic, resin,paint, primer, dirty or clean) or other random voodoo. When they work, they're great (and cheap!) when they fail, they really fail.

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2015, 04:37:56 PM »
It's looking sofa king great!

I would keep the periscope.
With the Vallejo paints you can have adhesion issues depending on the thickness of the paint, the underlying layer (plastic, resin,paint, primer, dirty or clean) or other random voodoo. When they work, they're great (and cheap!) when they fail, they really fail.

You're not wrong!! As much as I like the paint....I would have preferred using Life Color!

The Arado does look like a Viking!

Which screams "Carrier based version!!!" with folding outer wing panels ;)

Hmmmm...stop giving me ideas!!   ;D but you may have something there!!!  ;)

Well the major painting is now pretty much completed!

I will start by saying this is probably not what anyone was expecting for a nightfighter! But as I had mentioned that I had changed the path of this project and it’s now evolved into an all-weather fighter, hence the scheme.

Ok now the scheme….I will admit it is different but it actually based on an actual aircraft colour scheme and fits in nicely to where I am taking this project now. The scheme was originally on a Me-262 A1 of Stabsstaffel JG7. The original aircraft was part of Kommando Stamp before it was disbanded and incorporated into JG7. One aircraft in particular had this unusual diagonal colour scheme as well as the double chevron of Kommandeur, so it was possible assigned to Major Gerhard Stamp. These Me-262’s were also fitted with the WGr 21 Air to Air mortars and were tasked with attacking allied bomber formations.

So for my build/history the Me-262’s were replaced with the newer and more advanced Ar-234 P5’s in a similar role though now they could operate in all weather. The additional power of the new turbo-prop engines along with the quicker power delivery of a turbo-prop engine made them perfect for this role.

Ok the paint job, its all Vallejo paint, which I must say, was a breeze to go on, but boy is it fragile!! Compared to Life Color or Gunze/Tamiya acrylics it’ just falls off if you touch it wrong! I had heard it also can clog up the nozzle and can be a bit difficult at times, but I didn’t have any of these issues (though I did run through a wee bit of Vallejo air brush cleaning before paint job). The paint job is nice and uneven as I was aiming for, though it so does look like a model at the moment, just screaming or for some detailing and weathering!

Doing the blotches was another matter and did give me a bit of trouble, though this is the first time I have tried this with a double action airbrush, normal I would do this with my old single action one. If they annoy me too much I'll re-do them!!

The bands are not perfect and a bit blotchy, but this doesn’t matter as they will be partially covered with over spray, to reduce their visibility as seen on quite a few aircraft.

I don’t think I’ll leave the props their silver colour, I’ll probably go for something more like the colours used on prop aircraft. I’ll be much happier once a clear coat goes on to help protect to paint!

Oh and other thing is I’ll be I’ll be painting on the markings for this build, another first for me. Plus I did manage to knock off most of those fine PE bits along the way as well!