Author Topic: RAF Germany TSR.2, 1974  (Read 2998 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
RAF Germany TSR.2, 1974
« on: November 02, 2015, 04:42:21 AM »
Hi team,
I've seen a few TSR.2/Eagle builds around the Internet over the past few weeks so I started looking for another Airfix 1/72 kit, which pops up fairly cheaply every so often on NZ's premier eBay clone.

But then I remembered I had this...

The kit is a resin 1/72 TSR.2 of uncertain parentage - part of a care package of several bits and bobs sent to me some years ago - and it will be combined with the very professionally presented Model Alliance "RAF Germany 1970-75 Part 3" decals. Up until a month ago it had sat with its unassembled brethren, looking for all the world like a scaled recreation of the post-cancellation scrapping of the real-world production run. But now I'm back into it and getting excited.

As well as enough bits for one TSR.2, the parts package I got around 2006 included a complete set of landing gear (white metal wheels and main legs, and a resin noseleg), an injection-moulded (ex-Airfix?) canopy, weapons pylons, whitemetal IP consoles and an IFR fairing, so all of those will be used in this build. I have a pair of resin ejection seats coming as well, and it will end up as an operational aircraft of 16 Squadron, based RAF Laarbruch, West Germany, in 1974. You can see the scheme in the instructions behind - essentially this history will have 16 operating the TSR.2 (name not yet decided) instead of the Buccaneer. 

(There are enough major bits for a second aircraft in the box - although it will need more work in some areas - and it will end up as an RAAF trainer using one of the vacform canopies I got with the lot. But it also needs legs and feet, so it's a while away.)

Hopefully I can post a completed airframe this time next week for you.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 05:19:21 AM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: RAF Germany TSR.2, 1974
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 06:52:27 AM »
These are going to be interesting.  The "legs" can be obtained from Scale Aircraft Conversions and I know there are different sets around for the "feet".  Does anyone know where to acquire one of the trainer canopies?

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 06:55:25 AM »
Does anyone know where to acquire one of the trainer canopies?

Really? There was such a conversion? Any pictures of said canopy?
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 07:10:54 AM »
That a trainer proposal was out there is well documented.  The canopy was a single-piece unit covering both cockpits.

Whether a conversion to that is still available is another question, one I would love to have a positive answer to.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 07:31:05 AM »
I don't have any TSR.2 books but I did find this one image:

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 10:00:15 AM »
Yeah, that's the trainer canopy.  If one's available, I definitely want to do one of my TSR.2's as a trainer.

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 11:16:06 AM »
Evan - for my trainer I'm cheating by using one of the vacform canopies, which have no panel lines and are thus perfect for a trainer! It's not bulged like the real deal but will do for me. I read somewhere a 1/48 Gnat canopy would work.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 12:06:47 PM »
A BAC Eagle, wonderful!!
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"