Author Topic: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - Finished  (Read 22286 times)

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
  • now if I just had time to finish all my projects!!
Well I needed something else to keep me out of trouble plus something that will be a long term build, so I have come up with something to equal the He-177Z...another words something completely bonkers!

Ok I’m the first to admit I am totally mad and this build will prove it!

My work pattern has changed so I will have more time for models!!! So rather than signing up for more GB’s which I normally do on another web site, or actually completing the ones I’ve signed up for on time I decided I needed a new long-term project. The Heinkel He-177Z was a long term project which I loved so instead of building the bigger one (it is still there just waiting to be built) I have gone for this project which I had mentioned a few times on this or other sites..

So the basis for the build will be Hasegawa’s 1/48th Arado Ar-234C-3 which will provide the body, interior and undercarriage, though it will probably end up providing a of other bits as well!

I love the look and it’s super cool, plus a nightfighter as well! I had received all the bits sometime ago but after a quick look at them I got very scared!! The reason for this is the add on bits from Unicraft!!! The parts may be a little bit basic which is to say they are basically lumps of resin and not much else!

The wings from Antares are nice and need little work to fit my build.

The engines or turbo-props are barely recognisable as engine parts and as can be seen I have had to add sheet plastic to help build them up so they at least may be round in shape! They even come with an internal engine sections if I wanted to leave the engine covers open…or should I say a blob to match the rest of the engine blob!

The new nose is….well more or less useless, as can be seen from the photo is much smaller than the canopy section. The mod kit is for the Hobby Craft Arado Ar-234 which is completely the wrong in the nose section compared to the Hasegawa model, it’s way too narrow! So I can either modify the clear section which is pretty well impossible or completely build a new nose section! Plus all the other bits in this mod kit are pretty well useless as well, will have to use most of the kit parts for this build! I will either have to modify the resin bits I have or make a completely nose section, which at the moment looks to be the easiest path!

So I have pretty well given myself a not so easy task for this build. Whether I complete this build or if it is destiny for the box of doom is something to be decided as the build progresses.

For a start I need to get these engines at least round in profile, hence the addition of card to the engine bodies and spinners. If I can get these sorted there may be a possibility this project will get going. Once the main bodies are round in profile I can work on the nose cones and props. Once these are done I can then start to work on how they will mount to the swept back wings, custom mounts will be needed for this.

Well the spacers I added have done the trick and allowed me to move on.

The prop cones needed an extra spacer to make them sort of round, this gave me the chance them to work on them. For this I cut out some disks from plastic card which were to be the reference guide for the shaping.

A micro Dremel to act as a sort of lathe. This setup worked perfectly and in a short while I had two very workable prob hubs.

The main engine pod also had a plastic disk added, though this was slightly smaller, the prop hubs will be temporary glued to the pods for final shaping.

I am really happy with how this turned out as it is or will be the hardest part of the project. There is a lot more work required for the completed Turbo Props but good progress has been made.

As for the cockpit, as has been mentioned I will use most of the kits original cockpit assembly and custom make a new front section to fit the radome.  I was thinking I’ll need to cut about 1cm from the Hasegawa nose but I think I will use it as a foundation for the new nose.

So this is going to be a crazily big project, nothing that will be completed in a couple of months for sure! Again I must be completely crazy to attempt this build, I had planned it for a WhatIf GB, but given the work required it’s not possible in the time given. So this Christmas or next I’m not sure when it will be finished so welcome aboard on this crazy adventure. Regular updates are not included!

However given the progress so far, I may have to slow down else I will finish it before Xmas!!!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:15:25 AM by trickyrich »

Offline chukw

• has lots of thumbs
    • Www.chukw.com
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Trubo-Prop Nightfighter
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 12:13:14 AM »
Wow, what a cool subject- cheers!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 02:55:00 AM »
Shudder...Unicraft...shudder :o
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 02:55:30 AM »
The above all aside, I will be watching this one closely.

Offline Wulf

• Does a lot of real world stuff..the deviant!!!
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 04:00:49 AM »
this is going to look brilliant, look forward to seeing it go together
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel!

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 06:58:46 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments, I was a little hesitant to start this one due to the Unicraft bits, but they haven't been that problematic once I've started.

So update, despite the best efforts of a cold progress has been made on this project. As the engines will be a doable project I started looking at the nose. There are two options, either try to use the Unicraft one and modify the kit cockpit and canopy to fit, or only use the Unicraft radome and custom make a new front section. The former is a bit fraught with damage is I’d have to cut up a good canopy and nose section to try and get the right profile. Plus the Hasegawa nose section is of the correct proportions where as the Hobby Craft (for which the Unicraft set is made for) nose is too narrow.

So the decision is pretty well made for me, a new custom nose, so out with the razor saw and plastic card and off we go!

First off the kit nose section needed to cut off to match the diameter of the new radome. Using the Unicraft drawings and nose about 8mm was removed along with the lower site housing. The radome on the Unicraft nose was also cut off, there was a nice panel line to help with this.

Next a whole lot of plastic disks were cut out to the same diameter as the radome, this was to help align everything and keep it nice and round. Plus card profiles were made of the cockpit and new windscreen section.

I am now getting closer to the shape and profiles I am after, though the windscreen needs to be sloped more. Plus the radome appears to be just a bit too long and needs to be more rounded when compared to the P-5 drawings.

But it is now all doable which is a big relief, so the project will continue full steam head…until I get distracted. Oh and for those interested the new nose will be made up using 5thou card, layered, this will give the new nose strength and make the profiling easier.

That said as I’ve gone over all the drawings I can find I have found some noticeable issues, in that the side profile drawings don’t really match the head-on views! Because this was a “paper plane” I don’t think anyone really sat down and nutted out the complex shape of the nose, as a lot of these profiles don’t match up! This will make “accuracy” a wee bit hard, so this will be a little bit more of a Whif than and actual replica of an Ar-235 P-5 (there were even two different looking version of this aircraft!!). That said she will be as plausible as possible.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 07:01:22 AM »
Courageous hardwork, congratulations!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Trubo-Prop Nightfighter - update 18/7
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 04:10:31 AM »
You've come up with a really fantastic concept!

You're off to a wizard start and it looks like it'll finish up an absolute treat!

Brian da Basher

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Trubo-Prop Nightfighter - update 18/7
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 09:14:15 PM »
thanks guys...

Well back to this, been a bit distracted with other projects but this is actually quite good as it gives me a chance to see where I’m going with this.

As mentioned drawings for this planned aircraft are quite vague on nose shape and profile, plus in length as well. So I may wander off a little bit into how I think it should have looked.

Ok, the radome seems to have a bit of a hump on the top section but not all the way around??? The easiest way to do this is to add a thin strip of card around the radome around the joint. Then use some filler and shape….then after figuring it doesn’t look right after a couple of days, grind off the side and lower sections. Am happier with this look!

After some thought on how I was going to attack the new nose section I started with the new cockpit screen and surrounding panel. This is dead flat which makes making it a bit easier (along with the screen a bit later. Sorry forgot to take photos of the next bit. A rough outline of the new windscreen panel was sketched out with its width to match the nose. From this the shape was transferred to card and templates were made which included the screen cut out. One of these templates had the windscreen opening enlarged so as the give the appearance of a frame around the windows, this is one this that is made clear on all the drawings. Next a frame was made for where the new cockpit section will meet the canopy. Both these pieces were made slightly larger to help with the profiling later.

Now the radome was glued to the nose section and card added to where the new instrument panel and cowling will go along with some bracing which will be hidden. The shape is now looking how it should be (well in my opinion) so now how to fill in the gaps??

I wasn’t too sure how I was going to do this as I still needed to have to interior section nice and clean and shaping the inside would be a real pain and there was now way I was going to cut it apart again. So I tried something a bit different and laminated to lower walls with 10 thou card cut into strips. It took some time but I was happy with the results. The upper section was just small bits of plastic scrap.

The results after some initial shaping were better then I hoped for!!! It just looks right so that was a great relief.

On with the first of not doubt many coats of filler, when dried the shaping begins.

The engines now have a new exhaust section and are now the correct length when compared to the supplied Unicraft drawings. The ends will be cut out and some engine detail will be added. The front covers on the top of the engine were added, filled and smoothed out. There is not a lot left to do the engine bodies other then completely sanding smooth and adding some panel lines. The prop cones were drilled for the props, a few of the original holes didn’t line up, so were filled. There should only be another two full days left on the engines before they are done with luck, though I will have to make the blades from scratch as the Unicraft ones are no good.

So one of the hardest bits of the conversion is pretty well all sorted out. The only really bit of major scratch building will be the engine mounts for the wings, not sure how I will attack that one but have a few ideas. Once the cockpit is finish I can start painting and detail of the cockpits/wheel wells, then I can close her up and look at the wings!!

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - update 22/7
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
I just could wait so a quick rub down and a coat of Mr Surface 1000.......

Oooo it does look so good!!!

A section of the fuselage needs to be cutout for the wings to fit, plus I think the engines need to be quite forward like this for the correct CoG I think.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 01:26:04 AM »
This is looking good.  I doubt you could move the engines too far back, anyway, since you need to maintain reasonable clearance between the props and the wing leading edge.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 03:01:41 AM »
That's a nose only a mother could love... ;)

Outstanding work!

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 06:12:50 AM »
Amazing work ... very nice!  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 09:48:19 AM »
Concept and build  :-*

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 12:15:56 PM »
looks good

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - Casting
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 08:57:13 AM »
Again have been a bit distracted by other things but have made steady progress on the beast!

The nose work is pretty much all done, new gun ports have been added, these needed to be move back a wee bit. May add new bulges to the gun bay doors to account for this…will see. Just need to final spot filling and sanding down with fine grade paper…it’s amazing how all the blemishes show up in closeup photos! The internals will start once all the exterior work is completed, not sure how the instrument panel and cowling will look yet.

The engine mounts are pretty well done now. Have tried to do them in such away that the joint to the wing will need next to no filling. The engines had to be moved further out on the wing else the prop blades would have fouled! They will be close but in a workable position, I may move them a fraction further out, but won’t worry about that until the wings are fitted.

Sorry about the crap photo but you get the idea.

The prop cowling/intake has had an internal duct fitted and filled, so hopefully it’ll be nice and smooth when finished.

A little bit of work has started on the RO’s position with detailing of the side walls, but I won’t do too much of the “normal” kit build until I have finished the nose and engines.

I just could help myself, here she is along side her sister…..

« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 08:41:35 PM by trickyrich »

Online Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - update 25/7
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 09:35:13 AM »
This is some pretty heroic effort to get that nose to conform! It looks really good.

Offline TurboCoupeTurbo

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 09:50:43 AM »
Good work so far.  I'll be following this one with interest.

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 10:42:14 PM »
Again distractions aside I have been quite busy on this even though I do not have a lot to show.

Again most of the work has been on the engines. I have fitted a new tail pipe and exhaust cone, I was going to use the spare form a Ar-234 B2 I have but didn’t want to ruin a couple of good engines! Have a plan to jet boost a Ta-154!!! So I made up a new cone, not much will be seen when finished, as this section will be burnt metal and quite dark.

Next the inlet and props, first the props. As can be seen the props are pretty well useless, just too much work to get right and they’re just too fragile. I was planning to make new ones from card but got too lazy, so found some donors in the spares box, they were originally from a 1/72nd Mosquito (a pair normal ones and some paddle ones), these were to be the basis of the new ones, plus I added a small lip on the intakes entry from small plastic strip. Unfortunately I could go the triangular shade I have seen in the drawings, due to the donor blades being to narrow at the base, so I created a more modern high-speed set. So after way too many hours of crafting I have these, not what I originally had planned but very nice!

Next the inlet hub, again I had to make a new cone to replace the mode kit one. Then after measuring everything multiple times, the final holes were drilled for the prop shafts. I don’t know whether these were to be round or have a blade profile, I just can’t find any info one them, so for my sanities sake they are round. They will eventually have a small hole drilled in the centres, with a tiny pin fitted so the props will have extra strength.

The engines look fantastic now, just a tiny bit of clean up to go and some panel lines and they are completed.

I started work on detailing the cockpit, I have made a new instrument panel as well as a new joy-stick, this has moved from the side to now in the centre. Am making this up as I go as there are now drawings of what it would have looked like. Plus just some tiding up around the nose and changing the profile slightly.

Plus I have started adding some detail to the rear RO’s station (even though most of it will not been seen once it’s closed up) plus some PE bits to the main wheel wells. Should have this finished and the body closed up very shortly.

Well this project will now start to slow down as the Tropic Moon one for WhatIf III starts to eat up all my time….along with other projects as well!

Oh and I have finally decided on a colour scheme for this one……it will not be what is expected…..as the air crafts role has slightly changed! There will be a hint when I paint the props and intake cones………….

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - update 28/7
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 05:45:27 PM »
Well progress has been made even though time has been spent on other projects….

Quite a bit of painting had been done and the fuselage finally closed up plus all sorts of other stuff that just eats up time…

Painting has started on the engines but things have stopped as I may attempt to cast them to capture the mods and work done. On the inlet cone you can now see the lip I had to add. Not sure how to cast these as I do not want to cut them in half! I may  do them (well attempt) as solid lumps and grind out the internals, will see how the casting goes first!

The same goes for the nose, started detailing the cockpit, but have stopped so I can, attempt, to cast the nose. In this case I will blank off the windscreen and cast the out side, then grind out the inside. All going well then I’ll do a second two part cast of the final nose….maybe!!!

Just the start of the detailing of the rear RO’s station, more to do.

Unfortunately the main gear has to be fitted before the fuselage is closed up….not the best situation! As can be seen I have already knocked off the scissor arm off the far leg!

The section just forward of the RO’s station has been removed to allow the wing to fit.

The new tail required some grinding off of material to allow it to fit, as I have found with the wings too, they are designed for the Hobby Boss model and not the Hasegawa one. Hence the new tail has a rounded section instead of the stepped one the Hasegawa model has!

Ok now to the wings, after about 2-3 hours work I have the wings to a stage where they are in the correct position (to each other) with respect to the fuselage! These wings like everything else with these conversion kits are designed for the smaller (and incorrect) Hobby Boss model. They were first drilled then pinned, this allowed me to sit them on the fuselage and position them into the correct position. Sounds easy but ended up being very frustrating, especially seeing as they don’t fit the width of the fuselage. Eventually with super glue and lots of cursing they are set in the correct position. The gap will be filled with sprue, which should give it additional strength.

The plan is to complete all the work on the wings and their fit to the fuselage but not fit them. This will then allow me to fit the engine pods and finish all their join work before finally fitting the wings, as I will have a reference point to align everything up to. If I have done my job correctly there should be little to no filling required for the final fitting of the wings to the fuselage. Plus leaving the wings off will allow me to correctly set the engine pods alignments in distance from the fuselage and AoA.

Finally how she looks altogether, this will be the last time I do this until it’s altogether. I did this to check a few things;

A, will drop tanks fit? Yes
B, will props foul the fuselage/ground? No
C, is it a tail sitter? No, it’s actually almost neutral, just slightly tail heavy!!!
D, to look at it’s awesomeness!!!

And no the wings/model isn’t warped it’s just the way the camera was.

Well progress will now start to slow right down as the Tropic Moon beasty build starts and I go back to work. There is still quite a lot of work to go on this build, but I am just truly loving this build! For all its difficulties it is such a joy to build, I haven’t had so much fun since the He-177Z!!!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - update 31/7
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 01:48:11 AM »
That's pure gorgeousness.  I lvoe the combination of bits you're doing here and how you're pulling it together.

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 09:59:25 PM »
Just a quick update today as I didn’t do much to this, mainly worked on the new Gunhed project, fixed the G5 MAC, and sorted and cleared out old electronic junk!

Spent quite a bit of time on the wings sorting or first the correct positions of the engine pods plus adding some panel detail to them as they had next to none. The engines pods are now aligned correctly with a very slight pitch up attitude, very much like the drawings. I would have attached them but I still need to see if I can make a cast of them. Didn’t get time to go to the shop and get all the gear I need for that!

The new nose section has the perfect place for adding extra weight, this should stop it from sitting on its tail!

In the excitement of gluing the fuselage together I forgot a problem with the Hasegawa model. The fuselage when glued together is narrower than the nose section and the bulkhead that is glued to the front of the fuselage section (this is a problem of all the versions of the Hasegawa Ar-234, as they all share a common fuselage). So if you glue the bulkhead in first to one side then try to joint the other side you end you with a nasty gap on the top and bottom joins. If you trim the bulkhead to fit (did this on the first one I built), then you find the nose section is too wide to fit the main fuselage. To sort it all out you need to fit the bulkhead, glue the fuselage together, best you can, then use plastic strip to fill the gaps. However the C2 version which I’m using has an additional issue. The new C2 nose has a flush back to it and needs to butt up cleanly to the fuselage, however the old B2 nose has a recessed back which the bulkhead on the main fuselage front fits into. A all version share the same main fuselage, when you try to fit the new nose section on you are left with another nasty gap. Solution, fit the bulkhead on the inside of the location bead, then everything is good!

Confused, well it annoyed the crap out of me when I found it, hate having to cut nice joins up. As can just see under the fuller the sprue filler strip, there’s another on the top. The can be seen to sit further back, I’ve add an additional thin card bulkhead to help secure the nose the to fuselage.

This project will now start to gather dust bunnies as work commences of the Tropic Moon beasty.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 04:49:15 AM »
This project will now start to gather dust bunnies as work commences of the Tropic Moon beasty.

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - update 01/8
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2015, 08:40:47 PM »
Ok not my usual update as this build has been on hold while I contemplated whether I could cast a copy of the nose.

Well I have so a few people will be very happy!

I have never done this before so everything was a bit of a first for me. The results, well you can see them, though not to clearly as the resin is white.

Those arn't bubbles on this grey nose, just dust bunny crap!

This is just a one sided cast and a test to see if it was possible. It took me about 10 minutes to grind out the inside with only one slip! There are bubbles in the cast but they were in the silicon itself, the resin is nice and bubble free.

I intend to do either another cast or try and do a new mould hopefully with fewer bubbles in the silicon this time. Ultimately I will try and do a two part mould of the nose.

Plus I may do a cast of the engines as well, seeing the origins were so bad and nobody else does them!

Normal build service will resume shortly……hopefully!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - update 01/8
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2015, 03:59:14 AM »
Looking good - you willing to offer castings for others once you have perfected?