Author Topic: 1/32 EC-135 Gunship  (Read 21128 times)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
Re: 1/32 EC-135 Gunship
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2015, 09:43:38 PM »
I may take you up on that offer yet as I am not getting far with finding stubs anywhere else. It's a very problematic matter of principles for me. I don't want to give him my money but yet he has what I want. However, I appreciate the merits of your offer and will ponder on it  :uuu:

Might might even have another look at Apache wings instead. I liked the relative sleekness of the cobra wings/stubs and they seemed to be about the right size, but the Apache wing might work as a suitable replacement

If all else fails, I may even have a go at making my own winglets  :)
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 10:03:48 PM »
As another alternative, I have a 1/35 Cobra in the stash - I could see about pulling out its stub wings and casting some copies for you?  It may be a while before I get to it though...temps on LemonJello Heavy Industries' production floor have brought all work to a standstill.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2015, 08:40:39 PM »
Well, thank you for the offer, but as you'll see in a sec, I no longer require these wings :)

I have been chipping slowly away at this but since the wife and child have returned, my build time has dramatically dropped. This isn't to say I've done nothing - it just feels like it

I have re-done the com's panel on the back wall and added small things like fire extinguisher etc. You'll notice that the co-pilot's seat is missing  that's because I had to remake another one and it's currently drying the paint on it now.

Now for the fun part. I was going to buy a set of cobra wings, then that turned to crap, and I  very nearly took up Lemon Jellos kind offer to buy them for me, but I decided I'd have a go at making my own winglets, and I am pretty happy with how they've turned out. I even went so far as to add rivets  - although as you can see, it was my first time ever using the rivet tool and they're a little wonky. Good thing the wings are black - you can really see them. The rocket pods have been attached as have the GAU mountings. Ignore the slightly wonky one on the left there - I've straightened it out since taking these shots

The tail section has been completed and is ready to attach to the main body. 10 bucks says I'll break off one of those aerials before the tail is added

And lastly, the main rotor blades have been assembled and ready to attach to the shaft as dry fitted below:

Looking at these pics, I am free to admit that it's not my best work ever, especially when you compare it to say someone like Oliver (AKA Shark64 on Britmodeller) who has this stupidly amazing talent when it comes to helos. This is the first chopper I've built in a long time. The last one was a 1/48 CH-53 and that ended up in the bin.
I reckon that at the proper viewing distance (15 ft) this might look OK..... :)
Like most of us, I am my own worst critique  - especially with painting.

Anyways, it's back to your regularly scheduled broadcast and I'll be back with another update soon

Thanks for looking
MH

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 10:04:10 PM »
Fantastic!  You've hit this one out of the park.  The stub wings look awesome, the rivets are a nice little added detail.  I think you're going to have a real stunner for the display shelves. 

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 05:35:19 PM »
I've never seen better detail work! Simply amazing!

Those weapons look incredibly convincing!

Brian da Basher

Offline gogs007

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2015, 02:01:05 AM »
Looks great, I can't wait to see the cabin minigun

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2015, 12:33:00 PM »
greetings

Well, I have been really struggling with this one. I've built some real clangers from Revell in my time but this one is just awful in relation to fit. For a newly tooled kit, it's pretty darned bad - especially the plates on the bottom. To be fair, I'm also thinking it could just be bad workmanship too.

At least it's starting to look like an EC-135 and there isn't much more to do - just a few more bits and bobs to add and then I can start painting.

The coins are there to add nose weight - I forgot to add them earlier and this was the best solution I had on hand.

So, that's where I am up to at present. Not far from the finish line and then I can start the one project I have been dying to do - the 1/32 SU-27 :D So can't wait

Anyway, as always, thanks for looking

MH

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 05:15:55 PM »
Ye gods! :icon_surprised:

2c coins? I haven't seen them for ages! ???

Be interesting to see this completed. :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2015, 07:28:19 PM »
hehehe - yeah, I found a bag of them at a random shop in Chapel street a few years ago that I got for about $3 (more than what was in the bag) as a fix for the old school XBox over heating issue. They also make great nose weights :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 02:43:30 AM »
He's putting his 2c into this project... ;D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2015, 12:34:41 PM »
well considering you cannot even get a single lolly now for 2 cents.. probably the best use for them.

Ahh nostalgia, remember when you could get a bag of mixed lollies and you got 2 chico's for 1 cent

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2015, 04:31:08 PM »
I remember when a 2c bag of lollies was enough to fill my hand with sugary goodness - about 10-12 individual lollies from memory. :))
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2015, 05:49:11 PM »
And a 50c mixture was an almost garunteed trip to the dentist
What I find funny is you still see prices with a 99c end value to it where it's physically impossible to make that up as hard currency. Not so much as an electronic value though

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2015, 02:55:19 PM »
Greetings everyone

Life ponders on and so does this build. It's getting near the finish line now. The paint's on and I've started to weather it to look like a used bird - not a hangar queen. I'm using African Dust and I'm not entirely sure I like it. I may yet spray over it
I"m about to mask off the black window surrounds and have that all nice neat and tidy, then I'll find some decals to add to it, put the weapons on it and she's done
I'm quite happy with how it looks right now - much more menacing than the 635 that was pictured on display The pics below are before the pigments went on - sorry, camera ran out of battery

Well, that's it for now. Next post should be the finished item

Thanks for looking

MH

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2015, 04:28:04 PM »
Looks good. :)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2015, 08:14:57 PM »
Love the shading and the darker panels

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
  • now if I just had time to finish all my projects!!
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2015, 12:53:50 AM »
WOW it does look really nice.

Have been following this build and the work you have been doing is amazing, well done.

Looking forward to seeing the final product of your labours!

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2015, 09:00:38 AM »
Loving the paint work.  Can't wait to see the finished bird all armed up and ready to go.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2015, 09:55:15 AM »
Thanks guys
My ammo belts arrived today and they're better than I expected. They appear to be made of PVC rather than resin as that's what they feel like, but they are extremely flexible which is fantastic news for me. Not entirely sure how I'll paint them though as I'm not sure what kinds of paint will stick to them. Might have to use pastels.
I glued the weapons stubs on last night and it looks as mean as I hoped it would. Pics as soon as I'm done.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2015, 05:34:39 PM »
You really hit a home run in my book with that excellent, pre-shaded OD paint job! It captures that "in-service" look perfectly!

Brian da Basher

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2015, 12:07:41 PM »
Thanks Brian :)

Well, I'm calling this one done (well, pending a couple of paint touch ups but they are minor). This has not been the easiest kit to put together - bad fit issues a plenty here. The main rotor section is just a PITA to put together and would be well suited to someone who builds helo's on a regular basis and know what they're doing. I am just not one of those people.....

It looks more or less how I imagined it would. The post shading I did has blended in more with the semi-gloss clear coat and is not so noticeable, which in my opinion is more real than glaringly obvious shading (one thing that is beginning to irk me somewhat lately are over shaded panels - they just do not look like that in real life and if they do, the paint work on a model needs to be kept in scale - not that I am perfect in that area mind you)

Well, tell me what you think - good or bad - I don't mind :)

Well, that's it for this one. I have made a start on my next project - the 1/32 Trumpeter SU-27!

Anyway, as always, thanks for stopping by an having a look

See you soon

MH

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2015, 02:16:26 PM »
Way cool! 8)

The pilots may be a little iffy but a, really, great job on the helo! :) :icon_music:

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2015, 02:18:03 PM »

The pilots may be a little iffy ..

The Scream Twins.  ;D
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2015, 02:52:28 PM »
yeah, in hind sight I probably should've left out the pilots but they're there now and there they shall remain ;) I always said they were my Achilles Heal of modelling

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2015, 05:55:20 PM »
Hi Simon,

Your EC-135 looks really good, I love it  :-*