Author Topic: 1/32 EC-135 Gunship  (Read 21127 times)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
1/32 EC-135 Gunship
« on: June 11, 2015, 10:28:14 PM »
....and no - not an EC635 either ;)
Finally, I have made a start on this. Yeah, I know I was meant to finish the BV222 but that's currently in a state of repair after the box it was resting in was knocked off it's perch by an offending Possum that had managed to get inside the small room where I keep my laughable "stash". It needs a lot of work to fix it and I don't currently have enough enthusiasm for it to complete it
So I thought I would bust this out and start it off.

I am using the Live Resin ammo cases and batteries and that'' be mated to the Black Ops GAU-19. I did have 2 sets of the RB Models brass barrels but am now reduced to one after I found that the muzzle on one was bent in 2 and broke after I tried to bend it back. Shame too because they're a nice set. I may still end up using both of them and use the resin muzzle as a replacement. It's pretty much as thin as the brass one too

I am also using figures for the first time in years. When you see the pics below, you'll immediately realise why I generally don't do figures - I can not paint a figure to save myself.

Here's where I am up to currently:

And before you say anything - yes, I know the center console is wonky. Serves me right for drinking on the job - I think I can fix it ;)

My abysmal attempts at figures - they need some filler....and some make up -...and maybe some longer arms

I know I need to fix them up so they actually touch the controls - I just don't know how. Yet

the engines - man - the control rods are the biggest PITA to attach - they tested my patience even for me and I don't mind fiddly bits. That sounded a lot in my head....

And here's where it's come to a head. It's stalled because I can not work out how I'm going to actually attach my weapons to the 'copter. I know that seems premature, but I need to mold and attach the resin ammo belts into the right shape and length so I can attach them onto the ammo feeder now whilst it's all open. Once the body is closed up, I won't have the room to maneuver the belt through the tiny back window to it's proper resting spot
So, without really thinking this fully through before I began building it, I now really need to decide what structure I intend to use to mount the guns and missile tubes to: A wing/stub like an Apache or Cobra or go for a brace style system like the UH-1's or even the current 635?
Both are feasible but the only thing I don't like about 635/UH-1 style mounting is how obtrusive it is to the sleek design- it also looks weak, where-as a wing-let style mounting would look so much more stream lined. The only down side to that option is where to source the wing-lets from. I saw the ones on Werner's Wings web site and that is just to cost prohibitive for me right at this very moment. The other option is to buy a 1/32 (or 35th) Cobra (if I was lucky enough to actually find one) just for the wings and that's even more cost prohibitive. I also entertained the thought of a Hind type wing but that would just be too big for the little helicopter to hold.
Alternatively, I would have to make a UH-1 / 635 brace myself if I went down that route but I need images of these braces without the weapons on them and pics of the attachment to the body from all different styles and I seem to have a knack at finding jack and sh*t using Google. Any suggestions stored images you may have here will be more than welcomed. Don't get me wrong - I am not a lazy person - I can actually find stuff for myself  but some people have this inane talent to be able to find pics on the net that you yourself have spent stupid time looking for and finding nothing. I am so jealous of that ability

So, that's where I am at. After a lengthy beginning post, I will now return you to your regular broadcasts

In the meantime, I need to go and fix up those figures and do something about that center console - it's really bugging me now that I know it's there. It wasn't until I took the pictures and looked at them the first time on Photobucket after I uploaded them did I see it. Oh well, what's modelling without some drama??

Thanks for looking in

Si
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Re: 1/32 EC-135 Gunship
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 11:40:58 PM »
Glad to see this one started and I'll send the possum trap down later  >:D

I am also using figures for the first time in years. When you see the pics below, you'll immediately realise why I generally don't do figures - I can not paint a figure to save myself.

My abysmal attempts at figures - they need some filler....and some make up -...and maybe some longer arms

Cant see much wrong with your figures - looks like you have Jamie from Mythbusters and his evil twin in there  ;D

Looking forward to seeing more of this one.
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 12:03:47 AM »
For the ammo belt - can't you attach it to the feeder, feed it through the opening and seeing where it ends up? That'll give you an idea as to where to place the brace or winglet, which can be attached later.

As for the winglet, you can always scratchbuild it. Wings are very easy to make, especially if they're short. Harry Woodman's book "Scale Model Aircraft in Plastic Card" has a couple of methods. The book is here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080122044909/www.wwimodeler.com/harry/woodman.html
or
http://www.avia-it.com/act/biblioteca/libri/PDF_Libri_By_AVIA/Scale_Aircraft.pdf

You can try making it out of paper first, for practice. Then commit to plastic.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 12:09:51 AM »
For the figures you need a razor saw & some putty to fix up their stance/positioning - be bold & don't be afraid to use yourself as a model for how the limbs should look. Bits of wire are useful to set limbs into the correct position while glue/putty dries.

Colour modulation (basically several shades of the same colour plus a little light-tone dry brushing) will get your clothing to look right - shade the valleys & lighten the heights. Be subtle but visible.

For skin tones I use Humbrol enamels, as they blend better than acrylics, in shades of brown & I'm quite happy to custom mix to get the right tones. Again, subtle but visible variations work best

I'll try to get a photo up of my solo (so far) crewman from the slowly progressing Fire Support Boat, Riverine, to show you a decent (not perfect) result. He happens to be painted completely in Humbrol enamels.

To get him to look like he does I had to put a 3mm (ISTR) spacer between the torso & hips/butt to get proper proportions; one leg (can't remember which) was straightened & lengthened; the arms were repositioned, & putty & liquid styrene (styrene off-cuts mixed with Humbrol, in this case but Tamiya works as well or better, liquid cement) to fill gaps & shape the alterations.

Oh ... &, if you want beards & moustaches, pick the shape out with putty or layer up your paint to get some depth.

Hope the suggestions help. :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 12:14:11 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 07:28:43 AM »
thanks guys

Frank - your quite right - I could feed the belt out the window first but because it's resin, I need to be able to mold it into the correct shape now whilst I can, otherwise, it gets to complex for my tiny little brain to comprehend. I will look up that book tonight when I get home. It sounds exactly like what I need :) I would prefer to use some kind of flexible plastic ammo belt but I have no idea who would make such a belt

Wombat - your post is very helpful. Maybe I shouldn't have glued the figures to the seats just yet..... oh well. I'll just have to take them out and re-do them. They are bugging me as they are. I bought the Flesh Tones pack from Life Colour specifically for this job. Looks like I wasted my money there :)

Will do more to this over the weekend, so an update will be forthcoming....hopefully :)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 10:03:54 AM »
I would prefer to use some kind of flexible plastic ammo belt but I have no idea who would make such a belt

Live-Resin offers flexible resin ammunition feed chutes in 1:35th scale for 7.62X51NATO and 12.7X99NATO that will work for your project. 

LRE 35216   7,62 feed chute from flexible resin, easily mounted, high flexible, 1/35 scale

LRE 35147   50 Caliber feed chutes (this model is made by flexible resin), 1/35 scale

LRE 35106   M134D 3000 Round Vehicle Magazine with Booster Assembly and ammunition feed chutes, 1/35 scale

LRE 35107   M134D Ammunition feed chutes , 1/35 scale

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 10:09:47 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 11:10:22 AM »
Frank - your quite right - I could feed the belt out the window first but because it's resin, I need to be able to mold it into the correct shape now whilst I can, otherwise, it gets to complex for my tiny little brain to comprehend. I will look up that book tonight when I get home. It sounds exactly like what I need :) I would prefer to use some kind of flexible plastic ammo belt but I have no idea who would make such a belt

I assumed you were using one of the flexible belts Jeff mentioned. Well worth it! You can get Yaroslav's stuff (Live Resin and Tank, which is usually hard to find) at models-hobby.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 01:23:21 PM »
Well, I just bought some of that flexible resin ammo belts from that shop - thanks Frank :)
Now to chase up that book later tonight. I htink it'll be invaluable when it comes to scratch building

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 03:31:07 PM »
Well, here's Snowy, the white-blond Port Duty Watch crewman.

Up close all the flaws show up but, without the camera or a magnifying lens, he looks pretty good in situ.

Snowy on duty.

I wouldn't bag your Life Colour set just yet, I almost bought it the other day, just use it as you feel necessary to get the look you're after.

I tend to try for a more tanned look, the subjects mostly being young soldiers who spend a lot of time out-doors.

Hope this helps, too! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 05:24:33 PM »
That's nicely done there wombat
Im assuming you paint by brush? I try but I am so accustomed to my airbrush that brush painting feels alien to me. I'm weird like that  :icon_fsm: I'm definitely going to try my hand at modifying these figures though. I'm really not that thrilled about how they look fit now

I checked out that book in the first link just a short time ago and it left me asking more questions than it answered. I'm not sure if what's there in that link are excerpts or the whole chapter? I'm hoping they're just excerpts other wise the book a) is really short and b) doesn't tell you how to make things like wings. From what I read, it seemed more about principles and an overall view of modelling today. I tried the other link but it just won't load on this stupid iPad.  I'll boot up the laptop later and try again

I also had to email models.hobby and change my order from the 50cal belts to the correct ones. I don't know what's wrong with me? Seriously, I see the first thing on the catalogue that resembles an ammo belt and I hit the buy button without actually making sure I had the right thing to start with! No wonder I have so much crap I never actually use!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 07:41:29 PM »
For the stub wings, know anyone who's building a Sikorsky Black Hawk in this scale and not using the ESSS bits?  Of course, given the speed range of this helicopter, you could probably use the universal weapons pylons fitted to the OH-58D and Bell Models 407AH and 407GT (I believe that last designation is the correct one for the armed variant of the latest 407 variant).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:33:01 PM by elmayerle »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 03:38:51 AM »
I'm hoping they're just excerpts other wise the book a) is really short and b) doesn't tell you how to make things like wings.

Here's the chapter on wings:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080327095940/http://www.wwimodeler.com/harry/chapter3/09-wings.htm

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 12:39:29 PM »
that's much better - thanks Frank!  :)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 10:52:42 PM »
For your figures, Brian "Buzzbomb"'s method is relatively stress-free and produces very good results: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4889.0

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 03:48:32 AM »
Nice project Simon, I'll take a seat to see further progress  :D

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 11:13:39 AM »
I'm hoping they're just excerpts other wise the book a) is really short and b) doesn't tell you how to make things like wings.

Here's the chapter on wings:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080327095940/http://www.wwimodeler.com/harry/chapter3/09-wings.htm

Interesting.  I worked out a similar method myself, independently to that one...

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 11:59:21 AM »
I know what the issue is with these pilots not being able to reach the controls is: they're 1/35 and the kit is 1:32.
I have fixed up their seams and am in the process of touching them up
I also tried to make up the rb barrels last night and I reckon my sets were tampered with because I was missing some parts from both. plus, the barrels themselves wouldn't fit through the holes in the pe parts. I bent a barrel just trying to get it to fit in so I gave up on those and have gone for the supplied ones which are just as good.
Mind you, I'm also missing the muzzle break off one of them too which meant I had to use the pe one that came with the rb set, and of course, that's slightly bigger than the resin set.
Drama drama drama
Will post pics soon

Si

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 06:08:28 AM »
Simon, pretty nice work so far.

Some good advice from Womby there on the figures. Bear in mind though that with vehicle figues the visibility factor often is less so the amount of effort for an acceptable figure often decreases.
Don't stress what you cannot see.

I am very interested in how this Live Resin stuff goes together for you.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 04:35:20 PM »
Cheers Brian :) TBH, I'm not sure how much will be seen of these guy. I'm hoping the main craft will distract the viewers more
Speaking of which,  a couple of pics to show where I  am at - which is needless to say not very far at all. I've blended the weathering in the back compartment in more. Seeing as this will be an in action battle taxi, the crew don't consider cleaning a high priority. I'm going to see how much room is left in the back there to maybe try and put in another seat. If not, then the back wall I'll make into a com's panel.
This kit seems to have parts for a big IR (?) ball thing up front - maybe even a camera for a Police version. I am wondering how I attach it to the front instead of that silly little nose piece. I can't work out which parts are needed for it.

The next picture are the guns. The GAU's are a nice size but the barrels were a real PITA to get on and even then, despite my hardest efforts, I still couldn't get them to sit straight.
The M139 (or what ever it is) is nicely detailed but a bit small and next to the rocket launcher looks more like a multi barreled spit ball machine and not terribly menacing. Looks like I may have to try a little harder to get those GAU's looking better

Nothing else to show sorry. I've been busy with other things (I know - how dare I?!)
Thanks for looking
MH

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 03:52:34 PM »
small update
Well, Had to change the ammo boxes and the batteries (I think that's what they are) around to give me more room to flex the ammo belts when they arrive. Of course, had to touch up the paint around the floors and I have also made a small frame around the ammo boxes so they don't theoretically move around but that's not in the photo sorry - they same after I took some

Tidied up the engine a bit more and added the missing coupling rod and the exhaust pipes

and I have made my own comms panel for the back wall. Given this is a battle taxi, there is no need to hide the wiring :)

I am seriously thinking about remaking it - but tidier. It looks a bit messy for me presently. I call it good practice

The rocket pods are done and I have almost finished the guns - I just need to do some touch up work

That's it for now. Just lots of painting touch ups to do. Thanks for looking

MH

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 08:16:32 PM »
Mesmerizing.  Some mighty fine work going on here.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 11:31:08 AM »
Thank you :)

I am putting a request out to you all now for a pair of winglets/stubs from an AH-1 Cobra.

I tried to order a set from Chris at Cobra Company but he is the rudest person I have ever had the displeasure of ordering from, so I cancelled it

Word of warning, do NOT give your money to the most unhelpful prick to run an Internet Business. He claims to have a submittable form on his site - you can't even open it and to fill it out, you have to print it and then somehow he majically gets it but doesn't accept emails and his site shows no way of actually submitting it. Then after you contact him for help, you get told to fill out the form and that service charges apply - but no where does he say HOW to submit the bloody form. He makes you feel like your just being a nusiance for contacting him
Serious lack of customer service skills and it's put me right off his company
Maybe you've had a better experience from him but I haven't had one

(Edit: unnessasry swearing removed by my own volition)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 09:25:22 PM by Madhatter »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 02:27:20 PM »
Sorry to hear about your disappointing experience with Cobra Company.  You are not the first person to experience this and definitely not the last either. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2015, 05:44:01 PM »
I probably shouldn't have vented like that, but I was so annoyed. I found his emails came across extremely rude and have a complete lack of customer service skills
Anyway, I'll move on and forget about it. I have more important things to be concerned about, like what shall I have for dinner on my last night of "freedom" (wife and child have been away for last 2 weeks which is how I got so much building done)

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2015, 08:07:03 PM »
I've ordered from Cobra Co several times without issue, so I offer up my services as an intermediary on your behalf if you can't locate the stub wings you need.  I'd be happy to help out to keep such an amazing project moving forward.