Author Topic: HMX-1 "Marine One" VV-22  (Read 21947 times)

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
HMX-1 "Marine One" VV-22
« on: September 02, 2014, 08:33:21 PM »
This has been a long-pending project here at LemonJello Industries.  With the cancellation of the VH-101, The V-22 is selected for the executive transport role in HMX-1.

Laying out the additional windows:

Cutting plastic:

Start to the executive interior:

Front office/flight crew seats (modified on the left, stock on the right):

Added some detail to the forward bulkhead:

Additionally, there will be an additional two bulkheads put in to separate the VIP section from the tail ramp and forward door, along with seating and other amenities fitting a VIP transport.  Externally, there will be some work done to the nacelles for improved IR suppression and added chaff/flare buckets and antennae. 

I hope to acquire a set of Hawkeye Models' VH-60 decals to complete my "white top" V-22.

More photos to come as this project progresses.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: HMX-1 "Marine One" VV-22
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 02:00:18 AM »
Looking good to me, I can neither confirm nor deny the accuracy of your modifications.  I would suggest replacing the rear ramp with steps so that a proper entrance can be made.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 02:40:14 AM »
I didn't even think about using the ramp as the primary entrance/exit - I figured that's where the luggage/heavy weapons went...I'm going to change the forward door so that the bottom half has the steps and the top half swings upward.  We'll see how it goes.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 03:18:50 AM »
Ramp is generally the preferred entrance/exit as the door is right close to the plane of the prop-rotors and is farther away from the exhaust plumes bouncing off the ground.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 04:23:53 AM »
On my EH-101 AEW helicopter, I put the rear door in like this -- the ramp would be sealed up --
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 04:26:16 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 05:00:26 AM »
I'd go with two forward doors. Leave one open to show the pintle-mounted M-134 inside. :)

Of course, the VIP's use the rear ramp.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 07:36:27 PM »
Ramp is generally the preferred entrance/exit as the door is right close to the plane of the prop-rotors and is farther away from the exhaust plumes bouncing off the ground.

Worked for this fellow

This is really cool Lemon!! Its a great subject and I love these modifications, the windows rock
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Eddie M.

• The Model Whisperer
  • All you need is.....i m a g i n a t i o n ....
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 01:50:21 AM »
Top notch.  8)  You've given me inspiration to dig mine out and work on it.
He really DID lose his marbles!

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 03:01:36 AM »
Top notch.  8)  You've given me inspiration to dig mine out and work on it.

An Osprey/Tilt rotor GB would be fun!!  :) :)

-David Fincher

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 06:48:03 AM »
That could be fun, I've got ideas, and materials, for both a SV-22 and a MV-22 seconded to the USFS.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 07:30:48 AM »

That it would.  I've got another 3 in the stash earmarked to become, in no particular order: Canadian SAR (Belcher  Bits decals), USCG SAR (Fireball Models decals), and USMC battle taxi (Flying Leatherneck decals).

I'd probably have more, but the last couple of Hobby Lobby's I've visited (40% off coupon in hand) have changed their stock and didn't have any on the shelves.

Offline Eddie M.

• The Model Whisperer
  • All you need is.....i m a g i n a t i o n ....
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 03:47:19 AM »

That it would.  I've got another 3 in the stash earmarked to become, in no particular order: Canadian SAR (Belcher  Bits decals), USCG SAR (Fireball Models decals), and USMC battle taxi (Flying Leatherneck decals).

I'd probably have more, but the last couple of Hobby Lobby's I've visited (40% off coupon in hand) have changed their stock and didn't have any on the shelves.

Y'all just gave me an idea to finish mine as a Coast Guard bird. I'll be seriously exploring that option.
He really DID lose his marbles!

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 10:55:36 PM »
Update:

Getting into the interior work right now, since that's where most of the mods will be.  Here are the masters for the seating:

Now to try my hand at casting copies. 

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 09:38:10 PM »
OK. First attempt at making a mold ran into some problems...all a part of learning, right?  I tried a one part mold - the mold probably would have been great, except that I couldn't get the masters out of it without destroying the mold.  So into the bin it went and I started a two part mold.  Updates to come as that progresses.

In the meantime, I've gotten some work done on the front office:

Comments, critiques and suggestions are always welcome.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 11:19:44 PM »
Looking great so far.  Really looking forward to seeing the rest of the interior.

FWIW, I've written Hasegawa encouraging them to do a "HMX-1" MV-22B since that would only be a decal change to their existing kit.  That could also be a great start toward doing a "white top" VV-22B.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:22:22 PM by elmayerle »

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 09:41:48 AM »
2 part mold has been successfully made - and the trial and error of casting copies begins:

First cast is in the upper left of the photo, last (#6) is at the bottom right.  I think the last 2 are definitely usable, the first 2 are worthless, and the 3rd and 4th attempts could be used in a pinch, it'll depend on how many I need.  I had to keep making the pour stub bigger to get a decent cast and eliminate the major short-shots/air bubbles on the legs.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 12:00:29 PM »
I don't know if you're doing this, but pour some talc in your mold, then shake the talc out. The mold should end up with a fine layer of talc on the casting surfaces. Pour the resin in. The talc will suck the resin into cavities and will reduce surface bubbles and short shots.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 01:20:18 AM »
Frank3k - I did add some talc to the mold prior to casting,  and it did help in the later attempts.  I think the main issue was just getting the pour gate/stub right to allow for air to get out of some spots. 

I'll probably try to cast a few more, just for practice.

Edited to add:

Cast a couple more, and they came out the best so far.  So, I've cut off pour stubs, trimmed some flash and begun the sanding process.  Here are some possible seating arrangements. 

My preference is the first arrangement, but I'd be interested in hearing from others of this august assemblage.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:02:32 AM by LemonJello »

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 03:11:26 AM »
I rather like the second one, with the two seats against the aft bulkhead for the Secret Service agents with them; that would be a most appropriate location for them to be stationed.  You might want to consider, though, a mix of the second and third ones with the single seats aft, the two sets of double seats, and then the other two single seats.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 03:35:13 AM »
I rather like the second one, with the two seats against the aft bulkhead for the Secret Service agents with them; that would be a most appropriate location for them to be stationed.  You might want to consider, though, a mix of the second and third ones with the single seats aft, the two sets of double seats, and then the other two single seats.

Evan, that was my thought re: the Secret Service sitting at the back of the cabin with clear lines of sight down the length of the cabin.

And regarding your suggestion, something like this?

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 04:05:21 AM »
They all look really good to me, so I'm not of much help. Very nice job with that casting.  :)

-David Fincher

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 07:04:37 AM »

Evan, that was my thought re: the Secret Service sitting at the back of the cabin with clear lines of sight down the length of the cabin.

And regarding your suggestion, something like this?

That looks very much like my suggestion,  You might want to experiment with the orientation of the front seats (looking inboard, forward, or aft) but that's about the only suggestion I can make.

Does this passenger compartment take up the full fuselage interior length or is there room for an "economy class" section for members of the press traveling with them?  Seats for that could probably be cloned from a 1/48 business jet kit.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »
There's an area behind the aft bulkhead that works out to about 5 scale feet of cargo space - it's not getting much detail since the ramp will be up and there are no windows that far aft.  As it stands now, it looks like this will be 12 pax plus the Marine crew chief/comms guy that will have a station between the cockpit and the forward bulkhead that I've added - it'll be across from the front hatch. I guess the press have to ride in one of the green tops or the -2?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:44:55 PM by LemonJello »

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 09:46:25 PM »
Put a few "favored" members of the press in the "economy" section behind the aft bulkhead, the rest can ride in a green top.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 05:06:52 AM »
Update time!  So, work is progressing, and it's getting close to painting the interior and then closing it up.

Comms/Crew Chief's station:

Various  views of the interior:

Windows have been installed, and I'm thinking of tinting them - should I go with a yellow/gold or a green?