Author Topic: TTomcat's Tomcats  (Read 22499 times)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
TTomcat's Tomcats
« on: May 11, 2014, 12:14:25 AM »
I'm not the first guy to tackle the many 1/48 Tomcats. Darren Roberts put together a handy guide (he even gave them grades!! You can tell he is a teacher :)

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal10/9301-9400/gal9392-F-14-Roberts/00.shtm

And Paul did a comparison build as well, you can find it here.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=142212&st=0&p=1276367&hl=tomcat%20project&fromsearch=1&#entry1276367

I have all the 1/48 scale Tomcats (except for the Academy, and new hobbyboss but that can be resolved later) And decided it was time to build them all, If only just to say I did it! So I had to come up with a plan first, how did I want to do this? I am a what-if/sci fi builder primarily, I tend to do models that take a long time and I can't remember the last time I finished an OOB build. Since Darren and Paul covered the comparisons, I really just want this to be a big series of in-progress builds, its not really about A vs B Vs C (they did a great job of that already). So I decided on a set of rules after my gray matter burned out.

^ It should be generally OOB. For speed purposes. trying to fix some of these kits would take way more time than they are worth!

^ The outer lines of the model should be preserved. so no adding new tail fins or anything. If the shadow was projected on a wall it would clearly be a good old fashioned Tomcat. Nothing different about the shape, silhouette will be consistent.

^ "5 minute fixes" are allowed. What is a 5 minute fix? Adding tape seatbelts or shaving down a landing gear tire to make it flat are excellent additions that are not major conversion work like rescribing lines, adding resin, or wiring. (If you can do that in five minutes however-- I salute you)

^ Replacement parts. For badly done parts, poorly shaped Phoenix pallets for example, replacements from another Tomcat kit that will help its shape are allowed. Basically Drop-in replacement.

^The Tomcats should feature modeling skills I need to work on. Masking, adding texture, gloss coats, etc. I have made a to do list and hope to add little things here and there to improve my skills and experience.

^Maintaining the original silhouette, and OOB nature does not mean conventional schemes :)

So starting with the worst!

The original Revell kit:

Some revell parts that are to replace by Revellogram Tomcat parts

The Revell cat has a weird split style construction with smaller flat parts inside larger parts. I realized I could add some Science Fiction flare by tracing the parts onto patterned styrene and creating a solar panel look.

Will post more soon! Hope to show some exotic schemes!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: TTomcat's Tomcats
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 03:36:53 AM »
Looking forward to this…can't wait to see what schemes you have in mind.  I can suggest some if you want…. ;)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 07:56:27 AM »
Very ...... interesting, hmmm.
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 09:26:28 PM »
So-o, TT, how many different kits are there? ???

This should be fun to watch! :)

(Even if only to see you go slightly spare trying to keep to the spirit of your rules! ;D )
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 01:43:26 AM »
So-o, TT, how many different kits are there? ???

This should be fun to watch! :)

(Even if only to see you go slightly spare trying to keep to the spirit of your rules! ;D )

Pretty sure there are 7(?) with the new Hobby Boss kit... My rules may end up adjusting  ;D I want to slant the time spent to doing schemes and not building though

So this is about exploring new techniques. I wanted to do a very exotic cockpit, So I saw this painting style called "Tuscan Finish" And wondered how I could scale that down and make it look good.

Tuscan Finish ^

Cut some old Decals to fit first.

I used some Krylon Textured spray paint carefully masked. I then hit it with gray primer to make it gray.

I added some black drybrushing and then brush painted on some streaks to look like cracks.

Lastly I globbed on Tamiya Smoke as the "glaze"

Not what I had hoped for... I'm going to refine the technique... oh well live and learn. I added the decals but didn't take a picture

Next update soon!! :)

-David Fincher

Online Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 01:50:11 AM »
An interesting technique if you wanted to show something weathered and perhaps sooty. Keep in the repurpose file.

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 06:29:08 AM »
An interesting technique if you wanted to show something weathered and perhaps sooty. Keep in the repurpose file.

Good idea  :)

An unfortunate development! In all my travels I lost the Canopy for this 1/48 Tomcat.  :doh: So I grabbed a set from the Revellogram kit and took a look at how close I could get it.

Hmmm

I added styrene (about 2MM X 2MM) to cover the gap cut to shape. (good thing I am going for a sci-fi look, would hate to have to blend it in)

The Styrene was too high though. I had to decide what I should cut down and decided on the Canopy. So I took some off-- the never ending cycle!! I think its good now though.

Painted black

A while ago I took a bunch of googly eyes of various sizes, Rattle bombed them silver and now I add Tamiya clear colors for lenses and screens and such.

Green on this one and then I just glued it into the hole I drilled when I started construction

the decals on the cockpit. Cockpit is basically done, save for the seat to be put in later. Canopy is still a work in progress though

Thanks for looking 

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 07:04:31 AM »
I really like the googly eyes and I was imagining them all over the place on a jet-black bird!

Sometimes I just can't help it...

Nice work on the cool details and the new canopy!

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 10:23:16 PM »
I really like the googly eyes and I was imagining them all over the place on a jet-black bird!

Sometimes I just can't help it...

Nice work on the cool details and the new canopy!

Brian da Basher

Thanks BdaB!

Update! Wanted to experiment with some texture:

I had to be really sure on the masking, its one thing to have over spray, its another to have textured over spray!

Happy with the results. I used Krylon textured paint. (same rattle can I used on the cockpit) I have used it a few times but this is the first with some actual masking.

Just as on the Sukhoi Flanker, and F-15 Eagle I wanted to add exposed metallic portions. This is krylon "Hammered steel" And although it looks like a pretty standard metallic in the pictures (i couldn't get the camera to cooperate and show the textures no matter how hard I tried) up close it does have a certain pattern in it.

I painted the fins white to prep them for a masked emblem of some kind (I still haven't decided what exactly) On the Tomcat the fins are not "handed" So left side will have the "solar panels" and the other will have the emblems.

Lastly, added some spare patterned styrene to the intake. I wanted to avoid looking down them and just seeing an overly cavernous intake with a fan of some sort way back there.

-David Fincher

Online Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 11:24:55 PM »
This is gonna be good!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 01:42:57 AM »
Very interesting.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 02:44:08 AM »
Nice mods and I like that metallic paint!

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 12:56:30 AM »
Nice mods and I like that metallic paint!

Brian da Basher

Thanks BdB!

"South sea pearl" nail polish. If you use it on light colors it looks like the bottle there, on dark colors it changes between blue and green. (Also Thanks hun!)

I tried to drybrush it on there to not obscure the detail. I think it looks neat, don't know what the hell it does (power cell? Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator?) but it looks futuristic and the intake wont just be a black tunnel with a fan back there somewhere.

Clamped down! the white styrene is being used as a brace to keep the intake open while the glue sets (they were warped) and will be painted and glued deeper into the intake later on.

The emblems for the tails... this actually took a while LOL, longer than it should have.

cut and applied. Don't know what it means or what it stands for, I just wanted a simple little design. I can add some decals to it later as well.

Everyone's favorite part!I always try to shim with styrene, as I tend to sand too much and cause pits and other additional problems, that send me into a parallel universe of infinite sanding and filling.

The nose after I glued the alpha probe. Like all expert modelers I glued the piece on and then scrambled to find a way to place it so it could dry! You can see my highly advanced jig above. I then added weight to avoid the tail sitting.

Moving along pretty well, Thanks for looking in, I appreciate the comments everyone. My mind is already starting to drift into plans for the next F-14...

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 02:32:49 AM »
Come on Ben…admit it…the nail polish is your own. ;)

It does work well to give that scifi look doesn't it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 05:07:45 AM »
"A parallel universe of infinite sanding and filling" - what a magnificent turn of phrase!

This means I'm no longer just a crappy modeler but a voyager into the realm of theoretical physics!

Thanks for the tip on the nail polish. Amazing how many nail care products are useful in our hobby.

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 10:39:26 PM »
Come on Ben…admit it…the nail polish is your own. ;)

It is now LOL  >:D

"A parallel universe of infinite sanding and filling" - what a magnificent turn of phrase!

This means I'm no longer just a crappy modeler but a voyager into the realm of theoretical physics!

Thanks for the tip on the nail polish. Amazing how many nail care products are useful in our hobby.

Brian da Basher

It really is  :o Trying to stay out of the PSR galaxy as much as I can  ;D ...I sand so much my planet is Arrakis.

Time for an update!!

Purple!! After adding the revellogram Aim-54 pallets I rattle bombed it with Testors bright light purple.

masking with both silly putty and tape.

If you look to the left you can see the masking that was applied over the engines.  :)

My idea for the canopy, inspired by the B-2 Spirit. Remember that a big part of these builds is "coloring outside the lines" Taking an OOB model and making it look exotic and different with the finish, and not so much the construction.

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 03:39:58 AM »
Thanks for a great update! The purple is nice and I really like where you're going with that canopy!

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 02:47:54 AM »
Thanks for a great update! The purple is nice and I really like where you're going with that canopy!

Brian da Basher

Thank you  :) Came to me while I was driving home from work.  :o

The Canopy, with front frames sanded off and then polished. The putty is to hold it in place while I affixed the masks.

The solar panels are glued on, my inability to get them glued in after the fuselages were joined forced me to paint, glue solar panels, and then put the halves on, with touch ups expected. Just the nature of the beast. ^One of those modeling moments when you wish you had 8 arms! This is going to be "fun"

The fit was so bad I literally ran out of clamps.

A lot of seams popped or didn't take to the gluing. For a while it was literally 2 seems fixed, while another popped and had to be redone. 2 forward, 1 back. What I should have done, was glued the mid section as it was the toughest with the wings, and then glue may way out from there forward and aft, but I went with the whole shabang at once...

which didn't work all that great and I basically ended up going from the wing gloves out anyway! But at least this took longer and was more difficult, so there is always a silver lining

Serious gluing needed for the front fuselage to make it hold. I masked, Puttied, and then very gently sanded. For once I was going to use "restraint" and get it right the first time.

Masking for touch ups

I worked on the seat while the rattlebombing dried. Used graphite from a pencil to creat highlights. Yep just one seat for this bird.

Yay! Well here comes the wild, time to add the camouflage... Thanks for stopping by!

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 03:34:07 AM »
Oh God…a purple F-14??  I am sure there's a law against that somewhere... :o

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 04:42:27 AM »
Now that's some serious clampage!

As one who also tortures poor model kits in a similar manner from time-to-timne, color me impressed!

Brian da Basher

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 05:18:34 AM »
He! He!, Nice one TC, I painted a Gloster Meteor metalic purple many years ago.

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2014, 12:01:34 AM »
And here we go...

Art by Chris Foss for the movie Dune (pity it never got used)+NYC Jade Green=

I refined the canopy idea to give it a curvy organic shape.

Other pieces and parts

Underside, showing panels and removed masks to expose the metallics

Closer up

Metallics on the top side. I wanted to keep the organic look up front along with the wavy camo and contrast that with the more utilitarian engines/panels. The camo is also there to camo the "less than good quality" of the model too LOL

The nose cone, I used a pin vise and added that little "bowling ball" formation you see there. I have observed little holes like that in  science fiction drawings, thought it would be an easy way to add a little "complexity" to it. You will also notice I did a curvy mask too.

After paint, but before I sanded it down to pretty it up and remove some of that texture there. Also worth noting is I went over a lot of the model with a second coat to rid it of the brush streaks you see in the pictures, so no worries there!

Thanks for looking!

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 04:58:29 AM »
I look forward to seeing the final result...even if the colour scheme is still...um...well... :-X

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 06:51:43 AM »
Love the scheme!  :-* Especially the top view looks spectacular!
Reminds me a bit of the Ring Raiders comics/toys. Maybe give the canopy a red sheen?   >:D
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Goonie

• When the guy does a red tank, he does a RED tank!
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 05:05:41 PM »
That's quite interesting approach to finish F-14. It looks odd but in some manner also damn cool (that canopy painting is something that I might shamelessly copy in the near future ;)
Can't wait for another update :)
sci-fi - the best legal antidote for reality