Author Topic: TTomcat's Tomcats  (Read 22496 times)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
TTomcat's Tomcats
« on: May 11, 2014, 12:14:25 AM »
I'm not the first guy to tackle the many 1/48 Tomcats. Darren Roberts put together a handy guide (he even gave them grades!! You can tell he is a teacher :)

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal10/9301-9400/gal9392-F-14-Roberts/00.shtm

And Paul did a comparison build as well, you can find it here.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=142212&st=0&p=1276367&hl=tomcat%20project&fromsearch=1&#entry1276367

I have all the 1/48 scale Tomcats (except for the Academy, and new hobbyboss but that can be resolved later) And decided it was time to build them all, If only just to say I did it! So I had to come up with a plan first, how did I want to do this? I am a what-if/sci fi builder primarily, I tend to do models that take a long time and I can't remember the last time I finished an OOB build. Since Darren and Paul covered the comparisons, I really just want this to be a big series of in-progress builds, its not really about A vs B Vs C (they did a great job of that already). So I decided on a set of rules after my gray matter burned out.

^ It should be generally OOB. For speed purposes. trying to fix some of these kits would take way more time than they are worth!

^ The outer lines of the model should be preserved. so no adding new tail fins or anything. If the shadow was projected on a wall it would clearly be a good old fashioned Tomcat. Nothing different about the shape, silhouette will be consistent.

^ "5 minute fixes" are allowed. What is a 5 minute fix? Adding tape seatbelts or shaving down a landing gear tire to make it flat are excellent additions that are not major conversion work like rescribing lines, adding resin, or wiring. (If you can do that in five minutes however-- I salute you)

^ Replacement parts. For badly done parts, poorly shaped Phoenix pallets for example, replacements from another Tomcat kit that will help its shape are allowed. Basically Drop-in replacement.

^The Tomcats should feature modeling skills I need to work on. Masking, adding texture, gloss coats, etc. I have made a to do list and hope to add little things here and there to improve my skills and experience.

^Maintaining the original silhouette, and OOB nature does not mean conventional schemes :)

So starting with the worst!

The original Revell kit:

Some revell parts that are to replace by Revellogram Tomcat parts

The Revell cat has a weird split style construction with smaller flat parts inside larger parts. I realized I could add some Science Fiction flare by tracing the parts onto patterned styrene and creating a solar panel look.

Will post more soon! Hope to show some exotic schemes!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: TTomcat's Tomcats
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 03:36:53 AM »
Looking forward to this…can't wait to see what schemes you have in mind.  I can suggest some if you want…. ;)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 07:56:27 AM »
Very ...... interesting, hmmm.
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 09:26:28 PM »
So-o, TT, how many different kits are there? ???

This should be fun to watch! :)

(Even if only to see you go slightly spare trying to keep to the spirit of your rules! ;D )
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 01:43:26 AM »
So-o, TT, how many different kits are there? ???

This should be fun to watch! :)

(Even if only to see you go slightly spare trying to keep to the spirit of your rules! ;D )

Pretty sure there are 7(?) with the new Hobby Boss kit... My rules may end up adjusting  ;D I want to slant the time spent to doing schemes and not building though

So this is about exploring new techniques. I wanted to do a very exotic cockpit, So I saw this painting style called "Tuscan Finish" And wondered how I could scale that down and make it look good.

Tuscan Finish ^

Cut some old Decals to fit first.

I used some Krylon Textured spray paint carefully masked. I then hit it with gray primer to make it gray.

I added some black drybrushing and then brush painted on some streaks to look like cracks.

Lastly I globbed on Tamiya Smoke as the "glaze"

Not what I had hoped for... I'm going to refine the technique... oh well live and learn. I added the decals but didn't take a picture

Next update soon!! :)

-David Fincher

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 01:50:11 AM »
An interesting technique if you wanted to show something weathered and perhaps sooty. Keep in the repurpose file.

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 06:29:08 AM »
An interesting technique if you wanted to show something weathered and perhaps sooty. Keep in the repurpose file.

Good idea  :)

An unfortunate development! In all my travels I lost the Canopy for this 1/48 Tomcat.  :doh: So I grabbed a set from the Revellogram kit and took a look at how close I could get it.

Hmmm

I added styrene (about 2MM X 2MM) to cover the gap cut to shape. (good thing I am going for a sci-fi look, would hate to have to blend it in)

The Styrene was too high though. I had to decide what I should cut down and decided on the Canopy. So I took some off-- the never ending cycle!! I think its good now though.

Painted black

A while ago I took a bunch of googly eyes of various sizes, Rattle bombed them silver and now I add Tamiya clear colors for lenses and screens and such.

Green on this one and then I just glued it into the hole I drilled when I started construction

the decals on the cockpit. Cockpit is basically done, save for the seat to be put in later. Canopy is still a work in progress though

Thanks for looking 

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 07:04:31 AM »
I really like the googly eyes and I was imagining them all over the place on a jet-black bird!

Sometimes I just can't help it...

Nice work on the cool details and the new canopy!

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 10:23:16 PM »
I really like the googly eyes and I was imagining them all over the place on a jet-black bird!

Sometimes I just can't help it...

Nice work on the cool details and the new canopy!

Brian da Basher

Thanks BdaB!

Update! Wanted to experiment with some texture:

I had to be really sure on the masking, its one thing to have over spray, its another to have textured over spray!

Happy with the results. I used Krylon textured paint. (same rattle can I used on the cockpit) I have used it a few times but this is the first with some actual masking.

Just as on the Sukhoi Flanker, and F-15 Eagle I wanted to add exposed metallic portions. This is krylon "Hammered steel" And although it looks like a pretty standard metallic in the pictures (i couldn't get the camera to cooperate and show the textures no matter how hard I tried) up close it does have a certain pattern in it.

I painted the fins white to prep them for a masked emblem of some kind (I still haven't decided what exactly) On the Tomcat the fins are not "handed" So left side will have the "solar panels" and the other will have the emblems.

Lastly, added some spare patterned styrene to the intake. I wanted to avoid looking down them and just seeing an overly cavernous intake with a fan of some sort way back there.

-David Fincher

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 11:24:55 PM »
This is gonna be good!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 01:42:57 AM »
Very interesting.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 02:44:08 AM »
Nice mods and I like that metallic paint!

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 12:56:30 AM »
Nice mods and I like that metallic paint!

Brian da Basher

Thanks BdB!

"South sea pearl" nail polish. If you use it on light colors it looks like the bottle there, on dark colors it changes between blue and green. (Also Thanks hun!)

I tried to drybrush it on there to not obscure the detail. I think it looks neat, don't know what the hell it does (power cell? Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator?) but it looks futuristic and the intake wont just be a black tunnel with a fan back there somewhere.

Clamped down! the white styrene is being used as a brace to keep the intake open while the glue sets (they were warped) and will be painted and glued deeper into the intake later on.

The emblems for the tails... this actually took a while LOL, longer than it should have.

cut and applied. Don't know what it means or what it stands for, I just wanted a simple little design. I can add some decals to it later as well.

Everyone's favorite part!I always try to shim with styrene, as I tend to sand too much and cause pits and other additional problems, that send me into a parallel universe of infinite sanding and filling.

The nose after I glued the alpha probe. Like all expert modelers I glued the piece on and then scrambled to find a way to place it so it could dry! You can see my highly advanced jig above. I then added weight to avoid the tail sitting.

Moving along pretty well, Thanks for looking in, I appreciate the comments everyone. My mind is already starting to drift into plans for the next F-14...

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 02:32:49 AM »
Come on Ben…admit it…the nail polish is your own. ;)

It does work well to give that scifi look doesn't it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 05:07:45 AM »
"A parallel universe of infinite sanding and filling" - what a magnificent turn of phrase!

This means I'm no longer just a crappy modeler but a voyager into the realm of theoretical physics!

Thanks for the tip on the nail polish. Amazing how many nail care products are useful in our hobby.

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 10:39:26 PM »
Come on Ben…admit it…the nail polish is your own. ;)

It is now LOL  >:D

"A parallel universe of infinite sanding and filling" - what a magnificent turn of phrase!

This means I'm no longer just a crappy modeler but a voyager into the realm of theoretical physics!

Thanks for the tip on the nail polish. Amazing how many nail care products are useful in our hobby.

Brian da Basher

It really is  :o Trying to stay out of the PSR galaxy as much as I can  ;D ...I sand so much my planet is Arrakis.

Time for an update!!

Purple!! After adding the revellogram Aim-54 pallets I rattle bombed it with Testors bright light purple.

masking with both silly putty and tape.

If you look to the left you can see the masking that was applied over the engines.  :)

My idea for the canopy, inspired by the B-2 Spirit. Remember that a big part of these builds is "coloring outside the lines" Taking an OOB model and making it look exotic and different with the finish, and not so much the construction.

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 03:39:58 AM »
Thanks for a great update! The purple is nice and I really like where you're going with that canopy!

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 02:47:54 AM »
Thanks for a great update! The purple is nice and I really like where you're going with that canopy!

Brian da Basher

Thank you  :) Came to me while I was driving home from work.  :o

The Canopy, with front frames sanded off and then polished. The putty is to hold it in place while I affixed the masks.

The solar panels are glued on, my inability to get them glued in after the fuselages were joined forced me to paint, glue solar panels, and then put the halves on, with touch ups expected. Just the nature of the beast. ^One of those modeling moments when you wish you had 8 arms! This is going to be "fun"

The fit was so bad I literally ran out of clamps.

A lot of seams popped or didn't take to the gluing. For a while it was literally 2 seems fixed, while another popped and had to be redone. 2 forward, 1 back. What I should have done, was glued the mid section as it was the toughest with the wings, and then glue may way out from there forward and aft, but I went with the whole shabang at once...

which didn't work all that great and I basically ended up going from the wing gloves out anyway! But at least this took longer and was more difficult, so there is always a silver lining

Serious gluing needed for the front fuselage to make it hold. I masked, Puttied, and then very gently sanded. For once I was going to use "restraint" and get it right the first time.

Masking for touch ups

I worked on the seat while the rattlebombing dried. Used graphite from a pencil to creat highlights. Yep just one seat for this bird.

Yay! Well here comes the wild, time to add the camouflage... Thanks for stopping by!

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 03:34:07 AM »
Oh God…a purple F-14??  I am sure there's a law against that somewhere... :o

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 04:42:27 AM »
Now that's some serious clampage!

As one who also tortures poor model kits in a similar manner from time-to-timne, color me impressed!

Brian da Basher

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 05:18:34 AM »
He! He!, Nice one TC, I painted a Gloster Meteor metalic purple many years ago.

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2014, 12:01:34 AM »
And here we go...

Art by Chris Foss for the movie Dune (pity it never got used)+NYC Jade Green=

I refined the canopy idea to give it a curvy organic shape.

Other pieces and parts

Underside, showing panels and removed masks to expose the metallics

Closer up

Metallics on the top side. I wanted to keep the organic look up front along with the wavy camo and contrast that with the more utilitarian engines/panels. The camo is also there to camo the "less than good quality" of the model too LOL

The nose cone, I used a pin vise and added that little "bowling ball" formation you see there. I have observed little holes like that in  science fiction drawings, thought it would be an easy way to add a little "complexity" to it. You will also notice I did a curvy mask too.

After paint, but before I sanded it down to pretty it up and remove some of that texture there. Also worth noting is I went over a lot of the model with a second coat to rid it of the brush streaks you see in the pictures, so no worries there!

Thanks for looking!

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 04:58:29 AM »
I look forward to seeing the final result...even if the colour scheme is still...um...well... :-X

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 06:51:43 AM »
Love the scheme!  :-* Especially the top view looks spectacular!
Reminds me a bit of the Ring Raiders comics/toys. Maybe give the canopy a red sheen?   >:D
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Goonie

• When the guy does a red tank, he does a RED tank!
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 05:05:41 PM »
That's quite interesting approach to finish F-14. It looks odd but in some manner also damn cool (that canopy painting is something that I might shamelessly copy in the near future ;)
Can't wait for another update :)
sci-fi - the best legal antidote for reality

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 05:05:38 AM »
What fantastic camouflage! Reminds of a mix between W.W. I German and a Luftwaffe Night Fighter scheme.

The canopy is really looking good too!

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2014, 03:36:19 AM »
Thank you everybody!

Moritz, I plan on adding some canopy coloring, but I don't think it will be on this Tomcat  :) And Greg, I do have some regret about not going with a bright blue, I think it would have been even more vivid  ;)

Update:

Canopy remasked to protect the clear parts from future Flat Coat

Scale modelers have sharp eyes, so I wanted to create some unique stencils that wouldn't be what we are used to seeing.

Decals and wash done. The Decals are not wanting to stay on, so we will see what makes the cut when all is said and done. :( The stabs and fins are glued on in this pic. the canopy is fitted just to see how it all looks. Should be ready for the flat coat, and very close to the finish line.

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2014, 10:34:33 PM »
Wow that's coming along excellently, Mr Tomcat!

The stencils are great and I really like how the white nose looks next to that cool camo!

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 02:00:20 AM »
Wow that's coming along excellently, Mr Tomcat!

The stencils are great and I really like how the white nose looks next to that cool camo!

Brian da Basher

Thanks BdaB!

Flat coat on, which is important it toned down a bright scheme and made it look more "tactical"

Toned down the metalizer too. I was a little curious how the flat coat would affect this.

Shot of the tails, and the unconventional marking placement.

I used Tamiya weathering but it did not show much in the pic. I have to use F-18 exhausts because the engines are so narrow on this 1/48 cat that they don't match up to 1/48 F110/F100/TF-30/AL-31 sized exhausts. These are from the Revell Super Bug.

Highly advanced post-it masking method! Using pastels and an old beat up brush. Much easier to "fake" panel lines this way than scribing

I erred on the more extreme side with this weathering for two reasons. Number 1, Its science fiction baby!! Can't have enough. And 2 with the very toy-like gaudy scheme I did not it to look like a toy.

Really like the engine deck weathering.

The landing gear are still a work in progress, and I am eager to start other projects, so I might take some finishing shots and then add the landing gear later on as I finished other Tomcats  :thumbsup:

-David Fincher

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 04:26:45 AM »
That is one heck of a paint job on that Tomcat.  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2014, 06:20:49 AM »
Well you get top points from me for masking above and beyond that required to finish a Tomcat.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2014, 03:04:23 AM »
Those burner cans looks great!

Brian da Basher

Offline Goonie

• When the guy does a red tank, he does a RED tank!
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2014, 07:02:50 AM »
Honestly, I love what you have done with that Tomcat  :)
sci-fi - the best legal antidote for reality

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2014, 12:50:16 AM »

Onto the "next worst" LOL here is Darren's review from the OP in this thread:

Fujimi F-14:
This kit is just slightly less hideous than the Revell kit. It has absolutely nothing in common with Fujimi’s excellent 1/72 scale offering. Why Fujimi hasn’t scaled up that kit to 1/48 scale is beyond me. My example has a production date of 1995 and has some improvements added to the original release, which was in the late 1970’s.early 1980’s. These changes include the newer tail stiffeners and an alpha probe on the radome. They should have kept going on the improvements!

Cockpit (D-): The cockpit is extremely rudimentary and inaccurate. It consists of a floorboard with molded in side consoles. The instrument panels are flat and decals are provided for the instrumentation. At least it has a control stick! The seats don’t even resemble GRU-7’s, although they do have the face curtain pull handles. There is no rear decking behind the RIO, but instead has a set of “black boxes”. The only bright spot of the entire cockpit is a nicely done “sissy handle” on top of the RIO’s instrument coaming.

Shape (C): The Fujimi kit has always looked a little odd to me. I finally figured out why. A friend of mine sent me a book with early Tomcat cutaway drawings. The Fujimi shape matches these almost perfectly. The drawings even have the black boxes behind the RIO. Fujimi must have based this kit off of those drawings. The forward fuselage is too chunky in height and too narrow in profile, having almost a triangular shape when viewing it from head-on. The boat tail is too narrow between the engine nozzles, which are extremely simplistic and are only available in the closed position. The burner can is also very simple, with no detail on the interior of the can and a simply molded flame holder. The intakes are too small and shallow. The airflow doors inside the intakes are molded in the down position, leaving almost no opening. Wheel well detail in the main wheel bays is non-existent, and the detail in the front bay is completely fictitious.

Surface Detail (C): The forward fuselage is very nicely engraved, although it is a bit deep. The rear fuselage and wings, however, are all raised lines, and not accurate at that. It’s a bizarre combination. The main wheel bays have zero detail, while the front bay has at least a little ribbing detail. The landing gear is thin and spindly, not nearly coming close to the Tomcat’s beefy-looking gear. The front gear doesn’t contain the two small catapult bar struts on either side of the oleo. The wheels are acceptable and are molded in halves. The chin pod is the “bullet” fairing and is molded onto the plastic. Fuel tanks are provided and are acceptable. Wing glove vanes are provided. The probes on the side of the fuselage are mediocre at best, and the one right below the canopy sill on the starboard side is completely the wrong shape.

Fit (C-): Overall, the fit isn’t too bad. The two major problem areas are where the forward fuselage assembly meets the rear assembly, and where the clear parts meet the framing on the canopy along with the fit of the windscreen to the nose.

Ordnance (F): The missiles in this kit are horrible. They look like they were molded in the 1960’s! The Phoenix pylons are too short and rounded and look funny when put on. I left them off. The only shoulder pylon provided is for the Phoenix, so your choice of loadout is either 6 Phoenixes and 2 Sidewinders, or 4 Sparrows under the fuselage and a Sidewinder and Phoenix on each of the shoulder stations.

Pros: Good “sissy” handle on RIO’s coaming, radar unit that would make for a good base for scratchbuilding, separate stabilators, pilot figures, and …um…and….well…that’s about it.

Cons: Too many to list.

Overall Score: 3/10

Yikes! 3? But its still better than the last one (1)!!  :woot.gif:/>  so here are some initial pictures. It has an intersting "fat" look in the midsection:

You eagle eyed F-14 fans can probably see what Darren was talking about with the very thin cross section on the front, but on the plus side it does have panel lines, and they don't look half bad.

Some opening moves. This color is actually much darker IRL than the pic indicates.

Removed the tab in there for the kit seat, It doesn't have the best detail and will be replaced. also I hate to do it again but...

I'm probably going to do another single seater. The last Tomcat I just had inspiration to spare, and this one is a bit more of a grind.

Wings first! Painted Purple then joined

And then very bright pink

nose half with pretty pink

test fitting the works

-David Fincher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2014, 08:25:08 PM »
Thanks guys! Well some things went well, then things went not so well, then they got really bad (going to have to upload the pics first and do a separate update though for that mess)

Clamped up. This went fairly smoothly actually. Another knock against this kit though, is the articulation of the wings-- its very very tight and non cooperative, you have to use enough force to move the wings but not so much to break anything so you have to be very deliberate, but I do like that it has the little glove vanes that go in and out not all Tomcat kits have this.

Well this Tomcat project is about experimentation and trying new stuff, so I tried new stuff. If you like perfectly crystal clear canopies, look away now.

I used some Future and Pearl Ex Pigments, in the clear plastic from a super glue package to see how that worked.

Checking to see how some metallic paint works on the clear parts, checking transparency and to see if it would craze. 

Metallics behind the cockpit tub

I also experimented with that pearl ex nail polish I used on the Revell Cat. Having tons of Revellogram Tomcats I used a canopy to see how things would work. I liked the way it looked so I tried it on the Fujumi, but it did not work as well as I had hoped. I think on the test canopy it worked better because I didn't stir it, instead taking the thin layer at the top of the bottle, but on the Fujumi Canopy I stirred so it got thick and I lost a lot of the translucency. Doh! You can also the pearl ex pigments applied to the test canopy on the back half. thanks for stopping by!

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 01:59:34 AM »
That first picture is just WOW!  I like your experimentation as well.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2014, 01:23:10 PM »
Bright, innit. 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2014, 03:15:18 AM »
I've been bad about updating this :(

Silver painted intakes with confetti for engine faces. This will create a futuristic "blue glow"

The original plan was to paint it turquoise, but first I need to mask and prime white. This is where it all went wrong.  The masks just refused to cooperate. With such poor masking, I had to give up, and just peeled everything off to see where I was now.

The masks peeled seemingly everywhere, with the exception of the wing tip tops.

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2014, 03:59:50 AM »
I really like that scheme and I think a few easy touch-ups and Bob's your uncle, Mr Tomcat!

Good to see you back working on this beauty again!

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2014, 09:09:22 AM »
Thanks Brian! Its been unfun working myself out of this hole  :icon_punal: but I think I am through the worst of it. Appreciate the encouragement

After thinking on this for about a week and being completely at a loss as to how to fix it, I decided that black was the way to go-- the trick was not covering it all out of frustration!

The first step was masking and covering all the Orange. As you can see these masks had issues too.

I then masked added more pink... lots of coats.

Touched up with hand brushed black, and I covered the bottom where it needed it (Most everywhere!!)

I was going to go with some really nice mud hen exhausts, but this model has been a disaster so its going to be the F100s on the right for simplicity sake, and I'll save the fancy one for something else.

Thanks for looking :D

-David Fincher

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2014, 12:32:40 AM »
All this hard work seems useful and promise a great result!

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2014, 06:13:44 AM »
You're the very soul of patience, Mr Tomcat!

I've got to commend you on your grit!

I agree about the exhausts. I actually think the simpler kit ones work better with the color scheme which looks better with each and every update you post!

Brian da Basher

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2014, 07:01:43 AM »
If you can locate this stuff, it might save you some masking grief:

http://frogtape.com/products/frogtape-delicate-surface

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2014, 02:44:51 PM »
A good tip I picked up with masking is once the area has been masked, run a layer of Future around the edge of the tape and that will stop bleed through. And it works - I know because I tried it :)
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2015, 01:55:31 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys!! I did actually use Frog tape  :( and I never got a shot at sealing the mask with future or anything else as it just went "instapeel" This model is doomed LOL

Not the best pic to show the wash...

engines with some Tamiya weathering on it. Blue!

Confetti used for the engines-- shiny!

Engines, fins, and stabs attached.

I like it!

I used a pen to outline the pink, after the gloss coat. I wanted to do a kind of comic book style on a model someday, and it turns out with this model fighting me every step, this would be my first little experiment with the concept style. Here is a great of demonstration of Comic books style IRL:

So a long ways to go, and I'm not going to push it with this model especially!! but I'm happy with the outlines.

I used some color shifting nail polish to create a "window" on the made to fit windscreen from a seperate (revellogram) Tomcat kit (lost the original Fujimi windscreen -- did I mention this kit has fought me every step? LOL) tried to pick a creative shape!

The big picture!

-David Fincher

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2015, 05:44:38 AM »
Hmm nice boots.

Chris Foss all the way.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2015, 04:29:07 AM »
That's some mind-boggling work, Mr Tomcat!

I especially like the burner cans. I always find those challenging for some reason.

Looks like you're getting near the home-stretch!

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2015, 08:59:01 PM »
Thanks for comments everybody!

I painted the windscreen to make it a little more defined, I like this a lot better. This one is basically done, I am tempted to do some decals on it, but I think that would be asking for trouble the way this one has gone. Everything Darren says about the Fujimi kit holds true, Its not a perfect kit by any stretch but I think most of the problems were the fault of the builder and not the model! :bandhead2:

I may do a few "finished shots" soon but in the mean time

More to come!

-David Fincher

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2015, 01:11:35 AM »
Taiidantomcat's tomcat protecting Taiidantomcat's Tomcat kits!  ;D Try saying that a few times in a row.  :icon_beer:

I'm surprised there's no pic of Taiidantomcat's tomcat taking a nap in Taiidantomcat's Tomcat kit boxes.  ;)
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Eddie M.

• The Model Whisperer
  • All you need is.....i m a g i n a t i o n ....
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2015, 03:40:51 AM »
Outstanding work! I enjoy your willingness to go beyond where most would fear to tread!! 8)
He really DID lose his marbles!

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2015, 12:51:31 PM »
I used some color shifting nail polish to create a "window" on the made to fit windscreen from a seperate (revellogram) Tomcat kit
I am not sure I understand all, but this seems to be a pefect camo: your model is almost impossible to discover visually among the windows of my computer's sceen. If this was real, I would be a dead enemy! ;)

Offline mrvr6

• Accidentally created a Tejas….
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2015, 05:24:16 PM »
them jeans just look flat out wierd lol the women has a lovely bum though ;)

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2015, 08:18:23 AM »
Your work on the windscreen really came out a treat, Mr Tomcat!

Nice to see a photo of another happy feline as well.

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2015, 08:58:20 AM »
Thank you for the comments everyone it means a lot! I am basically calling the Fujimi one done and I hope to post more finished photos in a group shot. I really appreciate so many creative people following along and taking the time to share their thoughts  :)

them jeans just look flat out wierd lol the women has a lovely bum though ;)

I am committed to quality in all aspects  :)

Monogram F-14

When this kit came out in the 1980’s, it was a quantum leap over any other Tomcat on the market. The detail was outstanding in an injection molded kit. This kit has been much-maligned in recent years, but comparing to modern moldings is unfair. This is one of my favorite kits, and I’ve built over 50 of them in my modeling years.

Cockpit (A-): The cockpit is extremely well executed. While not perfect, it stool looks great after some painting and dry-brushing. At the very least, it looks “busy”. The GRU-7 seats were better than any other kit seat on the market, and they still look decent even by today’s standards.

Shape (A-): The Monogram kit, like most from this company, captures the lines and look of the Tomcat very nicely. The nose on recent reissues has shown it’s age and taken on a Coke-bottle look, but 5 minutes with a sanding stick and it’s taken care of.

Surface Detail (B+): The raised lines are excellent and mostly correct. The nozzles are decent, although the burner cans are a bit shallow and narrow. The only thing that could make the surface detail better would be if the lines were engraved.

Fit (C): One thing Monogram is not known for is great fit. The Tomcat is no exception. The parts break-down leaves one scratching their head, wondering just what the kit designers were thinking. The intake/fuselage fit needs copious amounts of filler, and the engine tunnel/lower fuselage fit leaves a sizeable step, needing lots of filling and sanding. Some short-cuts can be taken that help these areas, though, and the fit is not insurmountable.

Ordnance (A-): This kit contains some of the best, if not the best, AIM-9’s on the market. They are outstanding. The AIM-7’s are attached to the pylon, which makes painting hard. There are also no external fuel tanks. Overall it’s a very good set of ordnance.

Pros: Great detail, low price, outstanding ordnance.

Cons: No fuel tanks, wheels aren’t correct, no ECM blisters for Block 135, fit is tough.

Overall Score: 7.5/10

From Darren's review

http://www.finescale.com/~/media/import/files/pdf/1/5/a/fsm-tc1106.pdf

Here is the PDF by the same author with excellent build tips that I incorporated (for the most part) entirely in construction

I originally wanted to go from "worst to first" and that worked for the first two Tomcats in this thread. But I hit a snag. I have the Italeri Kit, but I don't really have a plan for it yet. I don't possess the Academy Tomcat either (soon). So that meant it was time for Monogram (Now Revell, AKA "revellogram") Tomcat.

The other reason I skipped ahead is I wanted to do a certain style on this that would mean brush painting. Having built a few Revellogram Tomcats before, I knew that a lot of the sanding was going to demolish surface detail forward of the intakes. So I decided that hand painting this one would be best as big globs of paint couldn't eliminate fine surface detail! So the scheme is stylized. I want it to look like a painting specifically like the Star Wars Clone Wars series on CN:

The idea on the show is it looks like the Original Star Wars concept art paintings from way back in the 1970s by Ralph McQuarrie.

Lastly I have a few unfinished Revellogram Tomcats and I was able to "Frankenstein" 3 of them in various states of construction to create one and get started faster: That still meant lots of clamping and cursing

Affixing intakes (blanked with Sheet Styrene)

And a primer Coat and we are ready for paint!

-David Fincher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2015, 05:27:35 AM »
[quote name='falcon20driver' timestamp='1424567455' post='2691232']
Awesome work!
[/quote]

Thanks!

Update!

(be warned there are a lot of images)

USSR underside blue was the first color on. Remember, streaks and noticeable brush strokes in this case are a great thing!

NYC Jade Green on

Napelonic Purple.

Now if at this point, you are looking at this and thinking "How do I tell him that looks terrible?" You are not the only one with those thoughts. I don't think I can recall a time when I did this much painting, took a step back and thought "That just looks awful" Its streaky, there are no straight lines, whole sections look missed, and overall it looks like a 5 year old did it!  Normally when I build it takes me forever to make up my mind, but when its made the path is clear. I don't normally have second thoughts, but this is looking like a disaster.

-David Fincher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2015, 05:57:16 AM »
I sat down and started masking. I knew there was going to be a lot of it. What I didn't know was how to go about the next step. The tricky thing about brush painting (for me at least) is its not very friendly to masks. In my mind its like asking for paint to run under, and when it does it can really do a number depending on just how far it seeps under the mask. I knew I wanted the color to be Prussian Blue, but I knew I couldn't hand paint it, and I don't have an airbrush its been packed in anticipation of a move. It was going to have to be a rattle bomb. But what color? It was going to have to be darker for this method to work but the only blues I had were lighter than the Prussian blue I planned to use, so that meant black. Luckily after I masked it and checking the array of rattle bomb for a 3rd time I found a Dark Blue... but little did I know

All told it was about 3-4 hours of masking for the whole model. Spray cans have terrible over spray so you have to be super thorough. I took a few breaks to stretch here and there. Considering how well my last masking project went I was getting tense.

I try to waste no time between masking and painting, and as I descended to the paint booth/garage I could actually feel my anxiety rising, and that does not usually happen to me.

I started to spray the dark blue and in all my years of spray painting Ive never had a "runaway" can, but this one did. I took my finger off and it kept spraying! I pulled the nozzle off to stop it. My plan of course was multiple slow build coats, but now the can was spraying all or none. I kept with it, gave it time flipped it over and then did the other side. It was going to be a while before I knew how the masks had worked. The plan was to give it a coupld days to ensure the paint dried, then start stippling and brushing (almost dry brushing) the Prussian blue over it, and then removing all the masks. If I check before brushing it would mean I would have to remask to hand brush the Prussian Blue. So once again I had to do another step before I would know if it was even worth it.

Finally after another hour of brush painting the moment of truth and I removed the masks:

Not perfect, but very very good. Here are some of the places it didn't go so great:

Overall though, i think it looks excellent. It doesn't look like a 5 year old did it now! Better yet, the touch ups in this case don't have to be perfect, or seamless --in fact they only add to the style (not that I'm a huge fan of touch ups.)

-David Fincher

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2015, 06:25:17 AM »
Interesting colour choices.

Maybe you have come across this before, but to get masking tape down into the crevices and tight around curves to stop paint creep I use one of these type of tools

it is a ball burnisher for dry decal letters, gold leaf etc.
Pretty much available and any craft shop.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2015, 01:25:39 AM »
A few little touch-ups and Bob's your uncle, Mr Tomcat!

No, I have no idea who Bob is, sorry. I have even less of an idea if you want him as a relative...

Getting back to the subject at hand, that's one eye-popping scheme that I'm sure will get you a multitude of accolades!

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2015, 12:40:14 AM »

I did the top and the bottom of the model differently. On the bottom I put a small spot White Oil paint spot and then blended it into clouds. You can see this best in the picture above, the Nacelle at the top of the photo has been done, the one closer to the bottom is the "before"

A look at the Top of the wing. I took oil paint and mixed it with the original color. The Goal is a finish that looks like an oil painting.

contrasting before and after. The left side has the Lt Blue+ white oil paint applied, the left does not (Kind of hard to show this in pictures!) Much easier to see on the Tailfins:

Hopefully this shows it better (I need a newer, better Camera!)

Mask, paint, repeat. doing this with brush painting, so I don't have to mask nearly as much.

I added a small piece of blue confetti that reflects. I also sanded off all the framing on the Windscreen. Its just one solid piece now. You can also see the landing gear fitted. painted Euro I Dark Grey, with the bright blue hubs. Getting closer to the Finish line, and just in time!!  :o

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2015, 07:15:28 AM »
Wow yet more amazing paintwork!

Masking always terrifies me and I feel lucky if the model doesn't look like it's bleeding to death when I peel off all the tape.

You've demonstrated that with patience, the end result can be stunning!

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2015, 09:59:54 PM »
Wow yet more amazing paintwork!

Masking always terrifies me and I feel lucky if the model doesn't look like it's bleeding to death when I peel off all the tape.

You've demonstrated that with patience, the end result can be stunning!

Brian da Basher

Thanks BdaB!

Masking a sci-fi symbol. Planets in motion? Well 3 out of 4 anyway! The paint peeled off with the mask on one of them. But I am still happy with it.

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2015, 05:26:08 AM »
I'd call that yet another astonishing feat of masking!

Way cool symbol and that little bit of red works like a charm.

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2016, 04:03:16 AM »
This project is not dead, just on hold. about half of the F-14 kits out there have the forward fuselage/cockpit section seperately, but interestingly, all start in different places. Some comparisons:

From Top to Bottom

Italeri

Hasegawa

Fujimi

(Not shown: Hobbyboss, because I forgot I had one in the stash)

Left to Right: Italeri, Hasegawa, Fujimi

Same arrangement, different view:

Italeri is closest, Hase in the middle, Fujimi farthest away

Lastly the Fuselages:

Left to Right Italeri, Hasegawa, Fujimi. Italeri might be the most interesting as they actually have their split within the canopy/cockpit itself rather than aft of it. One of the reasons I started this whole endeavor was to see and learn the differences like this, as the whiffing potential is huge! Knowing which front can be kit bashed best is important  :)

-David Fincher

Online apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2016, 10:48:18 AM »
Thanks taiidant' ... I love kit comparison views like that!  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."