Author Topic: FAAMAN's modelling past  (Read 19884 times)

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
FAAMAN's modelling past
« on: September 01, 2013, 09:08:17 AM »
Not sure if this is the correct place for this, but I thought It'd be fun to show you a snap shot of my modelling past and describe a couple of deliberate Whiffs I'd done at the time. :)

Sooo ............

In the dim dark past when I was 16.  :o

On Saturday 28Apr1979 a reporter from a Sydney local newspaper the, Parramatta Advertiser interviewed me about my hobbying after seeing my model collection when he came to interview my Grandfather a week before over his witnessing the demise of the "Red Baron" during his WW1 service.
These are the posed pics taken in my room (there's 4 of them total) I was sent before the newspaper article was published. The published article and an ad from the Advertiser dated Wed.16May1979. If you follow the link to my Photobucket you'll get to see the article too.

Click on html or images to go directly to my Flickr;     https://www.flickr.com/photos/45800749@N07/sets/72157686936153585

Me @ 16 newspaper photo No.1 28Apr1979s by Neil, on Flickr

Me @ 16 newspaper photo No.3 28Apr1979s by Neil, on Flickr

Me @ 16 newspaper photo No.4 28Apr1979s by Neil, on Flickr

In the first pic there's three Whiffs out behind the Dornier 217J-1 nightfighter and the SAAB Viggen, I know they're a bit difficult to see but they are there;

First is an Airfix 1/72 Bristol Freighter done up as an RNZAF beastie, I'd just seen one previous to me building this model (a 'short' nose model at RAAF Richmond) and thought the Kiwis would like the expanded abilities that the long nose presented them, copped some flak over this one as I presented it at a modelling show at my school and sure enough along came a 'rivet counter'.  >:D So I've never shown nor admitted Whiffery since then as the 'bean counter' couldn't see the 'fun' in creating something a little bit out of left field and plausible, he really made something out of it and it all got rather embarrassing.  :-[  :-[  :-[   >:(

Next behind the Dornier is a Revell 1/72 sale F-111A Ardvark modded into a long range fighter with an Aifix F-4s' IR sensor under the nose, a pair of AIM-7 Sparrows (Revell F-4E) on wing glove pylons (scratch built) and an M-61 in a gondola in the weapons bay (ala F-106 update), got the idea after reading about the navy F-111B and I had the damaged RAAF F-111C in the to be decided box, so, in a quick couple of hours I had committed Whiffery. Painted in the 'standard' camo for 111's with decals from the spares box.  8)

And lastly, breaking hard to starboard behind the Dornier is an Airfix 1/72 scale Westland Whirlwind MkI (first tool) saved from scrapping as a Sea Whirlwind NF.MkII with slipper tanks, one with a radar in it also, folding wings and a stinger type arrestor hook painted for the Pacific Theater in Glossy dark blue upper surfaces, matt black under surfaces but to avoid being shot down by another nightfighter thinking it a twin engined sneaky son of Nippon pulling a night attack I painted the underside of the port outer wing and horizontal stabilizer gloss white as a recognition feature. Finished off with British Pacific theater roundels etc. This model can also be seen in the second pic top right corner.

Yes there is a lot of models hanging up, all up at this point there's about 150 aircraft models, 60 or so ships, some armor and 'normal' road vehicles. Approx 50% of what's in the pics survive intact, a lot are in the " .... to be repaired ...." boxes and some no longer exist at all.

I hope you enjoy this look into my hobby past, as you can see even at this early age the Whiff creature was alive and well.  8) ;)

If you'd like to see more of my surviving models I'll just post in this thread if possible? GTX?

Thanks for lookin' ladies and gents  :) 

***fixed your PhotoBucket so they now go directly to the first page of the image gallery -- jjf 

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 06:58:39 PM by FAAMAN »
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
Re: FAAMAN's modelling past
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 03:42:36 PM »
Nice models.  Love the "committed whiffery" comment.  ;)

Ah, the 1970s hair...  ;D ;D

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 06:00:51 PM »
Nice collection and memories...

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:19:57 PM »
THAT I remember! :D

Bloody rivet counting JMN's! :icon_punal:

Could have been you convincing me to come here. ;D

:)

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 02:23:24 PM »
Thanks for the comments Rick and Tophe, don't dis the hair!! :D

Glad you remember that Wombat, I've even still got the posters. :D

Correct old son I could've been doing that, but that fella at school really put me back in my box. I've never shown another Whiff since, but I sense a change of climate coming :D

Maybe I should repair the Bristol Freighter sooner than planned, it's the only one of the above described Whiffs I've still got intact, the others had the "giant foot of doom" (not mine) turn them into spares :(

Any how, glad you like the pics :D 8)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 07:57:13 PM »
Wow FAAMAN, your ceiling looks a lot like mine, although I've got to admit, your room is a lot cleaner!

Incredible to think that you've been enjoying this hobby for so long.

Many thanks for taking us for a trip in your "way back" machine.

Brian da Basher

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 02:43:30 PM »
Well GTX and 'others' would like to see more of the 'past' models, sooooo ....... lets dial up that Wayback machine  :o

Focke Wulf Fw 190D Airfix 1/72scale 10121-0 red stripe built 1969 and my oldest surviving model, rebuilt several times.

I 'spose this is really an out of the box Whiff as Airfix clearly got it wrong when this kit was released in 1956, nose too short, prop blades too narrow, fuse too deep aft, odd bulges on the top of the wing that don't represent ANY 190, as well as Fuse codes/markings that actually don't equate either. The Stammkennzeichen (factory radio call sign TD+X1) actually doesn't exist. I don't even think they knew which 'D' they were modelling as it's sorta a D-9 and a D-13, I've an Airfix Magazine article which not only shows you how to fix ALL the faults but it claims it's a Fw 190D-13!

Any how mines gone through a couple of repair/rebuild cycles (mostly badly), it was even placed on a dio base as a crash landed bird with a riddled wing etc, you see it now after a rebuild in 1977 or 1978 (!?) using an extra canopy from a Matchbox Fw 190 kit I'd built, a freelance camo and spare decals from the same Matchbox Fw kit as the canopy. Looks pretty ordinary now but back then I was impressed!  ;D

DSC06827s by Neil, on Flickr

DSC06830s by Neil, on Flickr

DSC06832s by Neil, on Flickr

DSC06833s by Neil, on Flickr

Cheers all  ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 06:54:03 PM by FAAMAN »

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 02:48:09 PM »
Dornier Do217J-1 Airfix 1/72scale 01231-5 built August 1979

Built OOB, just a relatively quick and easy construct, and I've another in the stash to do.  ;)

DSC06766s by Neil, on Flickr

DSC06768s by Neil, on Flickr

DSC06764s by Neil, on Flickr

Cheers all  ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 06:47:21 PM by FAAMAN »

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 02:58:12 PM »
Skywave PitRoad kit No. 19/SW300 finished building 08Jan82, 1/700scale B-29 bombers & F-13A PhotoFortress, there's a heap more to be built (a bomb wing plus attached photo unit) !!! This could take years !!! (maniacal laughter fades .......  ::))

The three B-29's are fitted with tail guns and the extra pair of .50's in the forward top turret scratch built early style AN/APQ-13 ground mapping radar domes, the F-13A has camera windows. Their markings are a mixture of hand painted (you couldn't tell ??) & from the decal sheet in the kit, the subjects researched from "B-29 Superfortress in Action" - Squadron Signal #31, "Superfortress" by Steve Birdsall (Squadron Signal Special) & "B-29 Superfortress at War" by David A. Anderton. Still lots more research to do as I've learnt lots since '82 !! I didn't attempt any nose art as I couldn't trust I wouldn't make some HUGE brush error, although now, with my printer and decal paper ......... Hmmmmmmmm .......

An idea of their size can be seen from the 10mm grid on my cutting board!

B-29 1-R (Group Lead) 6th Bomb Group 313th Bomb Wing;
B-29 1-R dS by Neil, on Flickr

B-29 1-Z (Group lead) 500th Bomb Group 73rd Bomb Wing;
B-29 1-Z dS by Neil, on Flickr

B-29 T-Square_7 498th Bomb Group 73 Bomb Wing;
B-29 T-Square-7 bS by Neil, on Flickr

F-13A 291671-F 3rd Photo Recon Squadron;
F-13A 291671-F eS by Neil, on Flickr

Cheers all  ;D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 06:42:46 PM by FAAMAN »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 10:52:27 PM »
So, how exactly will you fit nose-weights in those teeny-weeny B-29's to stop 'em being tail-sitters? ???

Like the Dornier, very good job on that one. :D

Hmm! I think the FW-190D-? could do with a strip-back, a bit of PSR & a new paint job, though. ;)

:)

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 01:11:10 PM »
Thanks Wombat, the next B-29s have a cut off nail in front of the wings between the top and bottom of the fuse halves to stop the tail sitting. The first 4 have plasticene stuffed into their noses, guess it wasn't enough weight.  :-[

No, the Fw is now 'frozen', no work other than upkeep, as a reminder of where my modelling's been. :)

I'm glad you like the Dornier, not bad for a two day build, back then that is :D

More from the vault .........

From the same set the B-29s above came from, (19-SW300) are these 4 Mitsubishi J2M Raiden (Jack) land based Naval Fighters and 4 Nakajima J1N Gekko (Irving) heavy/night fighters. All finished on 08Jan1982, the Jacks were built out-of-the-box with generic numbering and national markings, the Irvings were detailed with Luftwaffe-style nightfighter radar aerials (modellers liscence at the time) and a fin stripe with generic numbers and national markings.

Mitsubishi J2M Raiden - Jacks, pretty small beasties really,
DSC06877s by Neil, on Flickr

Nakajima J1N Gekko - Irving night fighters
DSC06882s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06888s by Neil, on Flickr

More 1/700 scale from Skywave PitRoad, this time set 10-SW300 with 4x B-17G and 2x PBY Catalina.
The x4 B-17s were finished in the markings supplied in the kit for aircraft of the US 8th Air Force's 1st bomb Division; 303rd Bomb Group 358th Squadron. Modified to suit the model represented with extra guns added (all) or turrets deleted E & F model.
B-17 cs by Neil, on Flickr
B-17 bs by Neil, on Flickr
B-17F VK-C es by Neil, on Flickr

The x2 PBY Catalinas were built with a corrected nose profile and had the mainplane struts fitted, finished with generic markings only,
PBY #71 & 72 bs by Neil, on Flickr
PBY #71 & 72 ls by Neil, on Flickr

Cheers all :D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 06:38:16 PM by FAAMAN »

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 01:23:21 PM »
More ...............

Dragon 1/144 scale Grumman F-14A Plus 106/AD of VF-101 in lo-viz Kit DML4529, built in 1994 over a number of months straight from the box with some minor cockpit detailing,
DSC04444s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06796s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06790s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06789s by Neil, on Flickr

Dragon 1/144 scale Sukhoi Su-27M Naval Flanker Blue-30 part of the Tblisi Air Wing, kit DML4542. Built during most of 1994, a very difficult build, hence the loong build time. Built almost straight out of the box, with scratch built data probes and wing-fold hinge fairings. Not very happy with the kit overall, the model is distinctly underscale and not quite the right shape in places, still looks ok though.
DSC04445s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06803s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06805s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06798s by Neil, on Flickr
Cheers all :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 03:06:00 PM by FAAMAN »

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 01:30:55 PM »
Last two .........

Airfix Kit 02004-8 P-38J Lightning 1/72scale
This Airfix P-38J Lightning was built in 1 day (26Dec1979 bumping other builds out of the way), just to see if I could, straight from the box, came out reasonably well ......
DSC02359s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC02371s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC02369s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC02370s by Neil, on Flickr

Frog 1/72scale Bf110G-4 Nachtjager kit F202.
Built during August 1978 (school got in the way) straight out of the box as the Bf110G-4 radar equipped nightfighter version coded as G9+AA.
DSC06842s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06839s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06836s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06843s by Neil, on Flickr

Cheers all :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 02:52:25 PM by FAAMAN »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 03:01:39 AM »
Those are some magnificent models, FAAMan! I'm just bowled over by the 1/700 scale bunch!

And I thought working in 1/144 was challenging...

Outstanding!!!

Brian da Basher

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 10:29:31 AM »
You should see what I'm doing in 1/700 scale now Brian ;D

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 10:15:41 PM »
Im trying to move to 1:48th so my clumsy fingers stand a chance and here you are working in 1:700 th ?!?!!?

CRAZY good !!   :o

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 09:54:12 AM »

"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 01:20:58 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm glad you're liking a walk down my past efforts, both good and bad  ;)

NEXT .........

Grumman (GM) FM-2 Wildcat 00/MF USN 1/72 Airfix kit # ? built 10Nov80. I found pics of the correct markings and aerials for this training squadron as Airfix missed the codes on the top of the starboard wing. Learning weathering and wrongly added 5th & 6th machine guns, Oh well ......  :-[
DSC04377s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04380s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04379s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04376s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04373s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04374s by Neil, on Flickr

Cessna O-1E Bird Dog 12506/DJ of the VNAF 1/72 Airfix kit #610584 built 12May1983. Unfortunately glue misting ruined the inside of my cockpit windows. I like my attempt at weathering,
DSC04161s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04171s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04167s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04160s by Neil, on Flickr

Cessna O-2A Skymaster FAC "THE FAC"/1295 1/72 Airfix kit #01053 built 20May1983. The finished scheme was inspired by a pic in Squadron Signal's "Gunships" pg.13 with guesstimation over the serial No. and finish, Humbrol varnish has browned somewhat on the windows,
DSC04148s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04151s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04155s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04147s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04145s by Neil, on Flickr

N.A. P-51B Mustang "Shangri La" VF-T/36913 1/72 MPC(Airfix) kit #1-4008 built 15Jan1985. I like my weathering, a very enjoyable build of a very nice kit,
DSC04188s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04193s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04196s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04186s by Neil, on Flickr

N.A. P-51D Mustang "Miss Jackie" 311/436912 USAF Pacific Theatre 1/72 Heller kit #80268 built 10Jan1985. A very nice kit only lightly weathered, dissapointed with my "natural metal" finish, and yes I do know that Heller got some details wrong,
DSC04181s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04179s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04178s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04182s by Neil, on Flickr

Cheers all!!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:24:36 PM by FAAMAN »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 03:02:36 AM »
Thanks for posting these. FAAMAN. I really like the Bird Dog. We see so few spotter planes.

Brian da Basher

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 01:10:28 PM »
Some more .......

Lockheed F-104G Starfighter 1/144 scale Crown kit# J7
Built as Luftwaffe machine 22+66 09May1984. It took a looong time to complete as it was a very difficult kit to get a good result from although I'm still reasonably happy with the result all these years later. The Testors Dullcote varnish is browning off in patches now, a bit disappointing.  >:(
DSC04443s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04220s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04216s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04222s by Neil, on Flickr

Republic F-105D Thundercheif  1/144 scale Otaki kit# OT2-20,
Built as US Air Force machine AF24328/ZA, finished 01May83. I did as much to enhance this kit as possible with the minimum of work involved. (Laziness??). Great little kit from an excellent series, fun to do. I've got a few more now along with the resin detail sets from Retrokit, thinking of a RAAF version, maybe in greys .........  8)
DSC04441s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04229s by Neil, on FlickrDSC04230s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC04227s by Neil, on Flickr
Some more 1/700 scale aircraft,

Lockheed C-5A Galaxy 1-700scale PitRoad kit S-1/SW-1000
Both finished OOB 11May1991 as C-5A's 454/00454 & 456/00456. Excellent kits, just very small and hard to finish convincingly, the landing gear being the hardest not to make a mess of. Still haven't finished the 4x M-1 Abrams or the 4x M-3 Bradley AFVs that go with these planes. And now I have several more of these to do, some in original finish as this posted pair, some in lizard scheme and some greys ......... along with the armor that comes with the kit  :-\, can't always model in your comfort zone.  :o
Photobucket   http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg90 ... kit%20S-1/
DSC05877 9. 454s by Neil, on Flickr
20454sml by Neil, on Flickr
10454sml by Neil, on Flickr
DSC05868 1. 454s by Neil, on Flickr
14456sml by Neil, on Flickr
2456sml by Neil, on Flickr

Cheers all  8)

C-5A 00454 with a 6"/150mm rule for scale,
DSC05873 5. 454s by Neil, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:57:28 PM by FAAMAN »

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 12:27:18 PM »
Hey all, been a while but here's another installment in my modelling past,

I noticed in the "Meng" thread the comments made on the new F-102 from Meng and that some were wishing for a new F-106 also, being I've built both the Hasegawa kits I thought you'd like to see 'em  ;)

Hasegawa 1/72 scale kit C2/JS-047. 8-) 8-)
Finished 00B 30Aug1981 as a USAF F-102A Delta Dagger AF070884 of the 62nd FIS in South East Asia camo for something different to the plain ADC Grey finish. A very good kit that resulted in a very enjoyable build for me and IMHO a great result. The paint left some lite brush marks and the weathering came out well. Only problem now is Hasegawa decal "yellowing".  :(

My Flickr;      https://www.flickr.com/photos/45800749@N07/sets/72157684269131543

DSC06370 2. 070884s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06373 5. 070884s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06375 7. 070884s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06381 13. 070884s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06383 15 070884s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06390 22. 070884s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06397 29. 070884s by Neil, on Flickr

Hasegawa 1/72 scale kit C3/JS-054.
Finished 13Dec1981 as a USAF ADC F-106A "Updated" Delta Dart, "Bones Crusher"-90094 of the 87th FIS post 1972. A very good kit that resulted in a very enjoyable build and IMHO one of the best models I've ever built. To make an updated "Six" I had to fit a vulcan cannon in a gondola in the weapons bay, a frame less canopy, data-link aerials, anti-col light and intake as well as detailing the cockpit and pilot. The weathering went well and I like how it came out. :blob: The only problem now is the very noticeable "yellowing" and lightening of the Hasegawa decals, very annoying. :mad: This has high-lighted where I mixed my own colour match for the red on the tail and painted in the missing red areas around the tail  :( :(

My Flickr;     https://www.flickr.com/photos/45800749@N07/sets/72157683535979952

DSC06401 3. 90094s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06404 6. 90094s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06405 7. 90094s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06413 15. 90094s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06419 21. 90094s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06424 26. 90094s by Neil, on Flickr
DSC06436 38. 90094s by Neil, on Flickr

Together .....  :-*
DSC06398 31. 90094 & 070884s by Neil, on Flickr

Cheers all!!!
Neil  ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 03:12:48 PM by FAAMAN »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2013, 02:35:18 AM »
Very nice.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 03:06:49 AM »
Those are two mighty fine Deltas!

Brian da Basher

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2013, 11:56:36 AM »
Thanks guys!!!! 8)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 05:19:04 AM »
Some really good modeling I was never that good that long ago well done.