Author Topic: Boeing CV-230 Herculean  (Read 26480 times)

Offline tc2324

• Just slightly on the edge of madness......!
Boeing CV-230 Herculean
« on: April 14, 2012, 02:06:46 AM »
After getting into the whole rotordyne thing with this build a couple of months ago......

........... I was playing with the idea of blending the kits below for my next whif project and updating the idea.  :)

Well, I had a rethink and I felt that it would have had an `old world` look about it and I wanted to look into the future, well...., say 20 years on anyway.  :))

So out has gone the Chinook..........,

..... and in came this......!   >:D

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

............... so it will be a 1/72 Herc fuselage with the 1/48 scale winglets and rotors. This should even it all out a bit when it comes to power/weight ratio.

Coming soon.    ;)
Whiffing is for Life...., not just for Christmas!!!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Boeing CV-230 Herculean
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 02:20:36 AM »
Looking forward to seeing what you can assemble from the various parts.  The undertaking will be fraught with obstacles but with enough putty, sanding, and cursing, I am positive the outcome will be most enjoyable. 

I am surprised you did not stick with a pair of 1/72nd scale Ospreys for this project and have instead opted for one Osprey in 1/48th scale.  Still looking forward to seeing this project completed as I am curious on how you will tackle this problem. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 02:22:37 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 02:21:41 AM »
Interesting yes... Go on :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 04:21:32 AM »
Watching this intently.

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 08:40:21 AM »
I, too, will be following this with great interest.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 09:37:59 AM »
Seems like a fine choice for a kit-bash.  Like it much.      :)
Sign me up on list with other very interested members.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 09:00:16 PM »
I've got to applaud your imagination in coming up with this combo! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Brian da Basher

Offline tc2324

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 10:39:18 PM »
Thanks for all the comments of support chaps. ;)

Like all inventors/visionists/madmen, I found a few moments today to fit a few bits together with tape to see if this idea really was viable. I think it is, and depending on the reach of the rotors, I may well leave the tail as it is so it keeps it`s heritage looks.

Of course, as you can see, some major surgery is going to be needed to fit that wing. :o

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 03:40:41 AM »
Oh, you're giving me ideas already for something similar!

Offline tc2324

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 05:22:13 AM »
Can anyone spot the slight problem I might have in the near future....???  ;D

So what are my options?

Well, I could adapt the Herc kit`s wings to give me a bit more length? (No sniggering at the back please....)  :))

Or I could extend the Osprey`s winglets?

Or I could pour myself a large JD, watch Match of the Day and sleep on it?

Hmmm, option 3 it is then.  ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 05:24:41 AM »
Possibly trim the props?  Though the JD option sounds good too. ;)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 07:38:55 AM »

So what are my options?

Well, I could adapt the Herc kit`s wings to give me a bit more length? (No sniggering at the back please....)  :))

Or I could extend the Osprey`s winglets?

Or I could pour myself a large JD, watch Match of the Day and sleep on it?

Hmmm, option 3 it is then.  ;)

Skip the JD, your liver will appreciate it and just go with what works and requires less amputation. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Online Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 07:49:04 AM »
What about using the Hercules wings out until the match the Osprey wing chord (or close enough). This would give you blade clearance as well as fixing the wing root issue... unless you have Sotoolslinger's putty-fu, that is.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 11:42:43 AM »
Possibly trim the props?
If not the same, my opinion is: truncate a little the blades, providing clearance for the fuselage.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 12:13:37 PM »
I'll go for Frank3K's suggestion.  The V-22 has that hump for the rotating and stowing wing, you don't need that for what you're doing.  I'm surprised you didn't get two 1/72 V-22s and combine them with the C-130 fuselage to do a Quad Tilt-Rotor.  That has received a whole lot of study by Bell and Boeing.

Offline tc2324

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 09:58:48 PM »
Thank you all for the suggestions.

Someone suggested useing the Herc wings and attaching the engines and rotors further up the wing. This again I considered so I found the `sweet spot` and it looked good from a with point of view.

The major issue with this was the thinkness of the wing at that point. In my eyes it just would not look right going out from the wing root. ie, thick, getting thinner and then getting thick again. I`d also have to look at fitting outriggers to support the weight. Again this was going to be too complex IMPO.

So it came down to this.

I`m going to just cut down the middle and then `graft` the two pieces on top of the existing Herc wing routes. This way it will cover up a lot of the part that don`t need to be seen while adding a bit of length. I can then add a few bits from the spares box like one half of a fuel tank to cover up any gaps, but it should still give it a stream lined look without covering the whole thing in filler.

It won`t be a pretty build, but the end result might just be worth the hassle.

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 10:04:27 PM »
This looks so good  :-*

Having just watched avatar I was going to suggest contra rotating props cut down at the tips, but the herc wing will be interesting
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 11:03:22 PM »
I have "plans" (dreams???) of doing a quad tiltrotor in 1/48 in the far distant future.  I have to collect the 3 donor kits (2 V-22s and a C-130) and then work up the courage to start cutting.  I'll be using your project as both inspiration and a guide for how to go about doing this.

I think your plan to split the -22 wing spar to give you the added clearance for the prop/rotors makes the most sense, too.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 11:31:46 PM »

So what are my options?

The QTR I have started also had this problem with both wings, my solution was to get hold of another complete wing (I'm using 1/72 parts) and I figured I needed about a third from each side for the front wing, and the remaining two thirds for the rear wing.  I'm using a 1/72 Transall C160 instead of a C-130 though.

Your project looks like you need somewhere between a third and half of a spare wing ---
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 11:34:04 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 02:17:10 AM »
Watching very intently oh yes..

Offline tc2324

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 03:39:45 AM »

So I made the cut, or destroyed a perfectly good model, depending on your point of view?

The following pics are of the layout masked together and I now have the clearance between the tip of the rotor and fuselage. In one shot you wil see that the underside wingroot is going to need a lot of work, but that the price you pay I suppose for getting a reasonably `clean` topside. I will obviously need to put in supports through the fuselage and into the wings, but will be much later. Next job is to start on the cockpit and build the fuselage.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 04:27:49 AM »

Having just watched avatar I was going to suggest contra rotating props cut down at the tips, but the herc wing will be interesting
Well, the contra-proprotor concept is under study but strictly at the wind tunnel level at the moment.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 04:40:52 AM »

I would have cut down the props just because V-22 props still have ground clearance fully lowered which I have seen for both repair and ceremonial purposes as above.  Having said that I think your solution is far more elegant and will add to its looks in a big way  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline finsrin

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 05:05:10 AM »
Great build and concept.  Is too cool.  8)      Enjoying every posting.   :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 05:07:04 AM »

Well, the contra-proprotor concept is under study but strictly at the wind tunnel level at the moment.

Interesting...

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 12:16:06 PM »
I would have cut down the props just because V-22 props still have ground clearance fully lowered which I have seen for both repair and ceremonial purposes as above.  Having said that I think your solution is far more elegant and will add to its looks in a big way  :)
In that particular stopped condition the prop-rotors have ground clearance but not when they are turning.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 08:54:30 PM »

With more powereful engines maybe ? ----  licence built TP400's  (11,060 shp versus 6150 shp)

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 09:54:26 PM »
In that particular stopped condition the prop-rotors have ground clearance but not when they are turning.

I know  ;)

-David Fincher

Offline tc2324

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2012, 01:40:52 AM »
Now that the 74 Meatbox has finished, I could turn my attention back to the Herc. This time I needed to think about the tail section layout so out come the masking tape and a helpful amount of blue-tac.

Option one is simply to keep the tail as it is. A bit boring, but easy on the eye and keeps the look of the original C-130.

Option two needs a healthy amount of surgery to create a T-tail look. As much as I`d love the tail mainplanes to cross at the top, it just wouldn`t look right so they wil need to be lowed like so.....

Of course, if anyone has an A-400 tail section they want to donate...... ;D

Option three is relatively easy to do with few complications and I have to admit, I quite like this one myself. I think it gives a modern up to date look about it.

As always, I`m always open to other suggestions.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2012, 02:09:40 AM »
Three tail configuration has class.   :) :) :)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 02:29:39 AM »
The ESCI/AMT-Ertl C-130 kit has a separate tail that makes modifications much easier for a project such as yours.  Not sure if the old Airfix C-130 is molded that way or not but that may be another kit to check on. 

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2012, 03:18:10 AM »
Not sure if the old Airfix C-130 is molded that way or not but that may be another kit to check on.

It doesn't Jeff, I know 'cause I cut the tail off the one I had, (for my advanced rotordyne project)

And now I've seen what end fins look like of a C-130, I've got a good idea how it will look too.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2012, 08:48:14 AM »
I like the triple-tail. myself.  The V-22 has the H-tail for stability reasons and this would work for similar reasons.

Offline tc2324

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 07:14:56 PM »
Going for option 3 which is the one I preferred and which most of members on various forums preferred too. A few people have mentioned shortening/trimming or losing the main tailfin of the Herc. I think it best it stays where and as it is. One, simply because of the build issues it may cause, and two, because I want to keep the look of a Herc as this is meant to be a future replacement for the existing C-130.

Also, it didn`t look too bad on the Shuttle`s 747........ ;)

Offline tc2324

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 09:34:05 PM »
Quick update. The fins have now been glued in place which seemed to take forever and a day. Need to tidy them up a bit, but as the `dry fit` shows below, they don`t look too shabby.

Most of the internal structure is now in place and my next job will be to seal the fuselage halfs together making sure there is enough ballast at the front end.

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 10:32:44 PM »
Great choice!!  :)

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 11:07:42 PM »
Excellent work modifying the tail!

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2012, 03:31:22 AM »
Damn fine work!

Offline tc2324

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2012, 04:12:48 AM »
Thanks chaps. Another quickie update.

Ballast applied...., (added far to much, but I`m wasn`t sure where the CofG will be once the rotors go on. Better safe than sorry).

Bet you didn`t realise that the pilot/co-pilot had a Lazyboy 2000 fitted either...... ;D

..... and then sealed the whole thing.

It all looks a bit rough and ready at the moment but thats purely cosmetics. The hard part is about to begin...., attaching the wings/rotors.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2012, 04:53:45 AM »
That is looking good ... love the tail!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline finsrin

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2012, 05:38:01 AM »
Enjoying following the build.  All is looking good.  Watching for more posts.

Offline tc2324

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2012, 06:37:08 AM »
Todays update.

With the weather proving less than idea for spraying, I changed tact and started working on the rotors and the problem of how I could create a wing spar that would hold the winglets and engines in place.

Warning! It`s going to be a `Blue Peter` moment.

First the blades and here`s where I`m at. All pretty simple stuff straight from the destrutions.

Next I had to work out what I could use to hold the winglets in place while providing support for the engines and wings. I also needed something light.

Thats when I remembered I had a wire hanger in my wardrobe. SWMBO is in the process of upgrading all our hangers to the plastic type so I grabbed it while I could.

Now the hanger would not fit through the fuselage sections so I had to make some round holes spaces in the existing opening.

A quick test to see if all was ok.....

..... it was, so I cut and sealed the wire at the other end and now both wings sit nicely in place.

At the moment, as already mentioned, they do just sit there in place and when the times comes I`ll have to put something on top of the `wire spar` to lift them so that they are level with the top of the fuselage.

You will be glad to hear that tonight`s `Blue Peter` moment has now finished.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2012, 03:42:57 AM »
Brilliant!!!

It's good to know wire coat hangers have other uses besides being bent into display stands.

Brian da Basher

Offline tc2324

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2012, 07:16:45 AM »
Brilliant!!!

It's good to know wire coat hangers have other uses besides being bent into display stands.

Brian da Basher

Cheers Brian.

Spent the last 48 hours just doing the little mundane jobs on the kit which mainly involved filling some gaps. The fuslage join at the top seemed to have a slight `trench`, so I had a go at correcting that as well.

This is how it started off....,

.... and this is how it ended up with the sprayed tails fins dry fitted for effect.

Also finished decalling the rotors, so engine building will be next.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2012, 08:16:37 PM »
I think you've got a stunner on your hands. This project is coming along quite nicely. 

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2012, 06:02:18 AM »
If you're really feeling masochistic on painting and finishing the prop-rotors, the V-22 has a light in the tip of each blade to help folk see them and keep from walking or driving into them at night.

Offline tc2324

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2012, 11:59:48 PM »
If you're really feeling masochistic on painting and finishing the prop-rotors, the V-22 has a light in the tip of each blade to help folk see them and keep from walking or driving into them at night.

The kit has been giving me a few minor headaches already and I`m just not feeling masochistic enough to go there.....  ;D

Been a little busy trying to work out this winglet issue, so that the reason for lack of updates.

I needed the wing and fuselage to meet and be level. Unfortunately the wire was not as helpful as it should have been, which led to a number of strange frames, (of which one is seen below), being thrown away. It seems that the more you bend the wire, the less easy it is to reshape it.

So I stepped back and had a rethink. If I couldn`t easily bend the wire to the way I wanted it, then I needed to reposition where the wire went through the fuselage. A quick look and I made the gaps I needed which raised the height of where the wire went though.

A few dry fits later and the wire was put through and held in place with some tac. This will be removed at a later date until something more solid can be put in place.

And then on to the `money shot`. Wings were glued on level and then the whole airframe was turned upside down so that everything remained level.

A little time later I took this shot of how it looks now.........

.............. but it will continue to dry for at least 24 hours before I even go near it with filler.

Tonight, providing I have time, I`ll start on the engines.

That is all.   ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2012, 02:45:39 AM »

So that would explain photos such as this:

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2012, 03:07:46 AM »
This should be an interesting build. You might want to consider adding nacelle mounted sails (a winglet variation) outboard of the engines. NAVAIR is looking at adding them to the Osprey to extend the range. No pics, but here's a link to the AWST article: http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_04_16_2012_p26-446895.xml

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2012, 07:09:18 AM »
Great work! I know how that "hold your breath/hope this all works" phase can be!! Great cutting and planning seems to be paying off  :)

-David Fincher

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2012, 10:54:17 AM »
This should be an interesting build. You might want to consider adding nacelle mounted sails (a winglet variation) outboard of the engines. NAVAIR is looking at adding them to the Osprey to extend the range. No pics, but here's a link to the AWST article: http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_04_16_2012_p26-446895.xml

Again, only if you're feeling masochistic.  All three sails on each side are quite complex shapes (I've seen the prototype hardware).

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2012, 02:55:18 AM »
Yet more proof that you can't keep a good whiffer down!

I really like how those new wings look canted forward a bit too. I think that'll make this bird look like it's swooping down on its prey.

Nice work!

Brian da Basher

Offline tc2324

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2012, 05:21:11 AM »
Cheers guys.  ;)

Today I spent filling the gaps on the leading edges of the wing roots and plenty of it was required. Once enough layers were put on..........

...... I waiting until tonight to start rounding them off. Still plenty of work to do there I`m afraid.

I also built the engine nacelles and for the first time could dry fit all the major components together to get a good idea of how this will all come together at the end.

The last shot shows that the rotors have the relevent clearance. Result!  :)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2012, 08:17:37 AM »
That looks quite promising in the last few images you have shared.  Hope this makes it to your display shelf without any further complications. 

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2012, 07:07:44 AM »
Wow! Talk about "money shots"!

This baby'll have heads turning from Telford to Yeovilton and then some!

Bowled over,
Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2012, 12:43:18 PM »
When you get it finished, I most definitely want some photos to take into work since I'm working on V-22 engine and nacelle installations.

Offline tc2324

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2012, 06:54:06 AM »
Slowly getting there and just out of interest I took the following piccy to see what she would look like in `flight` mode......

Again, forgive the picture quality and the makeshift display stand.

Here she is in the final display position with still plenty of little odd jobs to be getting on with.

More soon.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2012, 07:54:26 AM »
WoW lookin' good !

what's the final colours & marking gonna be ??

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2012, 04:06:49 PM »
 :)

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2012, 10:02:43 PM »
Looks great

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2012, 10:18:19 PM »
That looks fantastic!  Very well done!

Cheers,

Logan

Online Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2012, 01:00:37 AM »
It's coming alone nicely and it's very believable!

Offline tc2324

« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2012, 06:18:33 AM »
Cheers all for your comments and I`m really glad this is going down well.  :)

Penultimate photos of this build. Added a few lumps, bumps and antenna with just a few more to go before the decals go on. Off to Brunty at the weekend, so finished pics will probably be on the Monday.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2012, 06:47:00 AM »
Yes,,, "fantastic" and "believable" and I add great kit-bash concept.    :)  :)  :)  8)  8)  8)
So fine - one day sometime perhaps I will build as well.
Bill

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2012, 07:25:51 AM »
That is out of this world!!  :) :)  :-*

-David Fincher

Offline tc2324

« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2012, 11:34:03 PM »
Cheers for the comments guys. Calling this one finished now. Started to put the decals on and then thought that in this case, less is more as they say. So with no further ado, I give you......,

Boeing CV-230A Herculean
USMC
Tactical Heavy Airlift Wing
Special Operations Sqn
Iran

As always, thanks for looking.

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2012, 11:39:05 PM »
Looks great and realistic

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2012, 01:11:30 AM »
Love everything about it! wouldnt change a thing!  :-*

-David Fincher

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2012, 01:47:55 AM »
That's great, you've done a fantastic job!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2012, 02:25:49 AM »
I watched this build with great interest, you've done a masterful job on it --  very well done !!

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2012, 03:07:39 AM »
Now that's what I call a smooth finish!

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2012, 03:27:11 AM »
Damn fine! :)

Offline ChrisF

« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2012, 04:20:45 AM »
Superb ! Simply Superb !

It just looks so right i cant quite get my head around the idea its not real and a mashup of different planes/scales...  :)

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2012, 07:03:54 PM »
Excellent work! Love the dark color scheme as well.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2012, 01:04:58 AM »
Awesome. You've got an absolute winner on your hands/shelf there. 

Offline tc2324

« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2012, 11:45:25 PM »
Thank you all for the kind comments chaps and I`m glad you enjoyed watching this one.  :)

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2012, 10:48:32 AM »
Gorgeous work and my compatriots on the V-22 agree.  Our only nit-pick is that the wings and engine nacelles are built by Bell, not Boeing, and final V-22 delivery is from Bell's plant in Amarillo.

Offline tc2324

« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2012, 05:45:55 AM »
Gorgeous work and my compatriots on the V-22 agree.  Our only nit-pick is that the wings and engine nacelles are built by Bell, not Boeing, and final V-22 delivery is from Bell's plant in Amarillo.

I`m really happy it went down well with the guys on the V-22 and you will have to apologise for me with regards to the whole Boeing/Bell issue.  :)

Offline tc2324

« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2012, 04:46:13 AM »
With the weather playing ball today I thought some better pictures of the CV-230 were in order.

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2012, 06:19:35 AM »
Good job,I really like it !

Alex
Alex

Offline ChrisF

« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2012, 06:42:55 AM »
I still love it !

Offline ed s

• An outstanding, creative builder.
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2012, 08:21:41 AM »
Well done. I really like what you've done with this one.

Ed

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2012, 08:47:03 AM »
Still gorgeous!!  I'd love to see a forest fire fighting version with a MAFS in the cargo bay and able to hover and drop a pump and hose, much like the Firehawk, to take on more water.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2012, 09:01:28 AM »
simply stupendous ! :)

Offline finsrin

« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2012, 11:17:07 AM »
Purrrrfect - Ideal configuration - Top quality build - I be envious.......   :-*

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2012, 05:03:22 PM »
Niiice idea and build. This could be a morph to other ideas like a VTOL Spooky!

Side note, everyone on that carrier better be on tie-downs, and anchors- or good swimmers.

Offline Weaver

• Skyhawk stealer and violator of Panthers, with designs on a Cougar and a Tiger too
  • Chaos Engineer & Evangelistic Agnostic
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2013, 08:54:49 AM »
No idea how I managed to miss this one - lovely job TC: first rate!  :) :) :)
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides

"I've jazzed mine up a bit" - Spike Milligan

"I'm a general specialist," - Harry Purvis in Tales from the White Hart by Arthur C. Clarke

Twitter: @hws5mp
Minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2013, 12:45:45 PM »
Awesome job! I'd love to see that in USCG colours  :-*
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline tc2324

« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2013, 03:04:18 PM »
Seems like a very long time ago now. Thanks chaps. :)