Author Topic: On the bench  (Read 19260 times)

Offline Eddie M.

• The Model Whisperer
  • All you need is.....i m a g i n a t i o n ....
On the bench
« on: March 25, 2012, 12:54:06 AM »
I'm finally going to follow through with something I said I was going to do. Here is the latest mod to my F-15SE (single engine). I just wasn't happy with the look of the jet, but could never put my finger on the problem. Finally, while trying to work out a plausable fuel load to feed the monster engine, I remembered the CFTs on the F-16. I went and found two more conformal tank for the Strike Eagle and this what I came up with... Also, the paint work will be simplier so I have more of a chance of finishing in my lifetime.

Before

After

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:37:38 AM by Eddie M. »
He really DID lose his marbles!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: On the bench
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 01:12:51 AM »
Looking good Eddie!  The sanded finish on the model give it an almost liquid effect at first glance as if it is rising out of the water or some dark liquid. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 02:20:49 AM »
Smart idea!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 04:34:21 AM »
Gives it a look like a pugnacious bulldog ;)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Scooterman

• Professional A-4 Stalker...and stealer of Rule 3.
  • Even his underwear is embroided with Skyhawks...
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 06:57:58 AM »
Looking good Eddie!  The sanded finish on the model give it an almost liquid effect at first glance as if it is rising out of the water or some dark liquid.

Or like it just decloaked!!

Just a meger suggestion.........how hard would it be to blend the aft part of the canopy into the new spine, ala OA-4M?

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 09:52:05 AM »
That's looking very good indeed.  So, what kind of engine are we looking at?  I'd guess it's a military engine based on the core of one of the engines for the 787 or A380 (different,  multi-stage, low by-pass ratio fan with afterburner on the back - and likely some material changes for the harsher military operating environment).  I'd hazard a guess that you're using a nozzle from a next scale larger F-16 or F-15.

Offline Eddie M.

• The Model Whisperer
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »
That's looking very good indeed.  So, what kind of engine are we looking at?  I'd guess it's a military engine based on the core of one of the engines for the 787 or A380 (different,  multi-stage, low by-pass ratio fan with afterburner on the back - and likely some material changes for the harsher military operating environment).  I'd hazard a guess that you're using a nozzle from a next scale larger F-16 or F-15.

First off, it's very good to know your here. 8) Second, you're right on top of your game. That's exactly what I've done. Here are the build up photos, including how I dealt with merging the two intakes into one.

Rearward counter measures. got to have them due to the massive IR sig. ;)

Offline Eddie M.

• The Model Whisperer
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 10:36:27 AM »

Thank you Jeffery! The paint was probably an 1/8 thick when I got to this point. ;D Here are the paint scheme progressions through years...

Offline Eddie M.

• The Model Whisperer
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 10:39:05 AM »
Smart idea!

Thank you very much! Coming from a whiffery engineer of your calibre, it's a great compliment!! 8)

Offline Eddie M.

• The Model Whisperer
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 10:42:51 AM »

Or like it just decloaked!!

Just a meger suggestion.........how hard would it be to blend the aft part of the canopy into the new spine, ala OA-4M?

I will investigate your suggestion because it would probably give a more streamline look.  I'll post my experiment that I'm doing on another project to see if it's feasible. :)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 12:42:56 PM »
Oh, very nicely done on that inlet et al.  If I was doing this in 1/72, I'd probably incorporate the fan face and inlet shroud from Lindberg's toy "1/72 Harrier" for that, leaving the remainder of the engine to go with the 1/72 vac-form Harrier from Poland (only Harrier kit I know of where the wing is actually one-piece and could be used for an engine change diorama).

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 05:25:57 AM »
Those are some fantastic mods, Eddie! I really like your work on the burner can and the counter-measures.

For some reason, I'm imagining SEAC camo, but it'll be killer whatever scheme it ends up in!

Brian da Basher

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 06:53:35 AM »
That last camo scheme is NUTS !!!   :D   LOVE IT !

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 09:28:38 AM »
I can't believe you had to remove all of that paint!  :o    Glad to see this project on the move again  :)
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 11:50:34 AM »
Four camo paint schemes are super.  Well done.   :)            Like to try similar on in-work bash.

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 06:28:09 PM »
That camo is amazing

Offline Eddie M.

• The Model Whisperer
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 07:50:14 AM »
Thank you very much!! 8) At the time, i thought I was being very clever with those cameo schemes, but for my tastes this month, but was a bit too busy. I'm sure I'll revisit those in the future just because I know I can.

Now, for something completely different for me. To boldly go where I've not been before. Here's the bits I'm working with right now, while I refurbish two other hanger queens. Thanks Jeffry for the part that makes up the.....well, I want it to be more of a surprise. More progress soon... :icon_beer:

Offline Eddie M.

• The Model Whisperer
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 06:46:53 AM »
This next build was inspired by my childhood love of the space program and one of our very own, BdaB, the Deacon of Drop tanks. I've got a lot of drops in the spares box, so I thought put them to use. The main body of the big one is a Shuttle SRB and the capsules are the nose end of a 1/32 guns pod. No real rhyme or reason, just something I felt compelled to do.  The aircraft is a refurb of a B-58 engine that's moving forward on it's new mission.

Offline Doom!

• Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 06:48:40 AM »
Veddy Interestink.  ;)
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 07:41:26 AM »
Nice job on the Rocket and flying engine
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 05:14:51 PM »
Wow a "two-fer"! Color me impressed, Eddie! Your detailing is excellent as always and you've also found a very cool way to recycle that B-58 engine!

I promise not to let my promotion to Deacon go to my head. ;)

Brian da Basher

Offline Eddie M.

• The Model Whisperer
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 03:52:45 AM »
More progress on the space kick I'm on now. For the most part the gantry will be made up of an old Space Shuttle one I've sliced and diced. :)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 05:07:16 AM »
Wow!  Thank you!  It is certainly nice to get an honorable mention in reference to one of your projects. 

Knowing I helped out by providing some of the parts is a real bonus for me :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Doom!

• Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 05:40:55 AM »
I feel some heavy G's comin' on!  :)
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 05:43:33 AM »
I just spotted that resin Polaris missile chunk that I sent to you so long ago.  Wow, that certainly jogs the memory.  Looks like you shortened it up a bit.