Author Topic: General Atomics M-7771 "Custodian" ASV  (Read 9273 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
General Atomics M-7771 "Custodian" ASV
« on: July 25, 2017, 10:37:57 PM »
This is a build I'm doing for the Sci Fi GB over on WIM.

Starting point:

OK, turret weapons, naked & in the styrene (I haven't painted them, yet):

And here's a pic of the hull - kept aloft by .... googly eyes! ;D

There are more changes than that, & more to come, but I'll show them later.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: General Atomics M-7771 "Custodian" ASV
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 02:25:24 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 06:09:29 AM »
Wow, that's some very nice small-scale detail. Your eye sight is clearly a lot better than mine!  ;)

Looking forward to seeing how this one develops.
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 09:04:07 AM »
Thanks, guys! :))

Your eye sight is clearly a lot better than mine!  ;)

I have a very good magnifier with a circular fluoro light around it. ;)

(Edit: Fixed typo.)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 09:18:25 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 10:27:03 AM »

If you haven't read it yet, do so.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 06:56:32 PM »
ooh ooh ooh, very nice

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 09:18:48 PM »
Thanks, BT! :D

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 07:15:27 AM »
For what it's worth, our crews complained about the lack of vision from within the 1117 so... more vision devices?

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 12:28:10 AM »
After a fairly good start I'm having the mojo for this build drained by what are, essentially, minor modifications. ::)

The problem is that although they're minor, they're also intricate & time consuming, which was the one thing I was trying to avoid with this build. :(

Bugger! :icon_crap:

Still, I have a bit of time up my sleeve, so I may put it aside for a little while & dig out a tank or something that I know I want to build pretty much OoB & only whif the paint scheme. ??? :))

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 01:54:01 PM »
 :( :(

or perhaps you need
 >:( >:( to get back to work.

Go for something different.. I can empathize with you on Mojo desertion

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 01:21:04 PM »
I can sympathise with ya there Wombat, Mojo is a difficult to hold onto item ;) ;) Been kicking me for ages lo mojo :icon_crap:

Mind you your creation does seem to inspire that odd place, you know, the Whiff Gland ;D ;D
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 02:50:09 PM »
Mind you your creation does seem to inspire that odd place, you know, the Whiff Gland ;D ;D

It's the googly eyes that do that. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 07:52:37 PM »
OK. Officially weird! :-\

I walked into the shed this evening to look over my stash for something different to build. Couldn't decide so walked out again. Sat down in front of this & started building again with no issues.

Only change was that I figured out what I needed for an ammo feed for a micro-missile launching system while I was pruning a couple of fruit trees & went out bought a cat collar from Cheap As Chips (local cheapo store) this arvo.

8)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 04:57:48 PM »
Too long between photo updates (or any updates, really), so here are some images of where I'm at right now:

The sensor unit at the rear of the turret doesn't move because, when I put it on, the missile launchers on the turret sides weren't going to, either.

The missile launchers are 6-shot auto-reloading anti-personnel/light vehicle micro-missile launchers & 2-missile anti-aircraft mini-missile launchers (they don't have the missiles fitted, yet).

The commander needs some work done on him still, including being painted & having a visor fitted (& the stick removed) before he'll be ready for placement.

Thanks for paying attention!

:))
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:01:36 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 02:24:47 AM »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 04:01:15 PM »
Thanks, Greg! :smiley:

I think!? ???

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 11:26:34 AM »
After struggling with serious mojo issues on this build (not that there wasn't any, it just came & went at random :-\) I've just put the last primer coat down.

Next will be an undercoat followed by the final paint scheme.

She doesn't look too bad but I've decided it should have been a "less-is-more" build, with more of the M-1117 undersides left intact & tubes & cables running underneath to the anti-grav units in the actual wheel arches, maybe with additional armour over (under?) the plumbing for added protection. The idea being that it's a semi-field mod, shoe-horning reverse engineered alien technology onto an existing vehicle.

For my own peace of mind, I'm going with this as the v.02 mod, with the shoe-horning cleaned up a bit. :smiley:

Hopefully pic's inside the week.

Ciao! :icon_beer:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 11:54:54 AM »
OK, very quick update before I go to work.

Still a WiP but paint is on & the end is in sight.

With no help from my beautiful assistant, Ozara:

I've advanced to here:

With a bit of luck I may be finished on the weekend ... "with luck"? Who am I kidding? ::)

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 02:24:39 PM »
Looking good Ozara and the model is none too shabby either.  Just kidding mate, the model looks stunning and your attention to detail is most impressive. I really like this one and am looking forward to seeing the end product.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:01:05 AM by Claymore »
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 09:56:13 PM »
Thanks, mate! :smiley:

Offline Zaskar24

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 08:27:07 AM »
I love how this has turned out! I think that the missile arms look great as do the turret weapons.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 09:43:12 AM »
Thanks, Zaskar! Appreciated! :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 04:19:13 PM »
Where I'm at. Need to finish the being-rebuilt anti-grav units, fix up the f_-ups, a few final paint touch-ups, fit the landing pads & build a dio base for the vehicle & two other figures.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 12:01:12 AM »
Looking good Guy!
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 02:06:58 AM »
 :smiley: