Author Topic: USMC M151 FAV  (Read 5950 times)

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
USMC M151 FAV
« on: July 30, 2018, 03:12:49 AM »
I needed something to get me going again, so I pulled this out of the stash and started gluing plastic together.  Felt good.

From Wikipedia: M151A2 FAV – Fast Assault Vehicle variant designed to be carried inside a CH-53 helicopter. Modification mainly involves adding a combination radiator grille armor plate and spare tire carrier, a field radio bracket between the front seats, roll bars or roll-cage, and high-beam lights. It has a heavy weapons pedestal mount post mounted on the rear deck (capable of carrying a Browning M2HB, Mark 19 Automatic Grenade Launcher or TOW II Missile). The rear bustles had brackets to mount large storage baskets and the front bustles had brackets to mount small storage baskets for fuel jerry cans or single ammo boxes.

This is going to be my take on the M151 FAVs I used to see tearing around Camp Lejeune in the late 90s, before the Mercedes G-wagen replaced them. 

Base kit:

The add-ons: (all of the weapons systems may not make it on, but some combination will)

Also bought some different wheels/tires, now I wish I had gotten the aggressive tread version...*shrugs*:

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 03:16:09 AM by LemonJello »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: USMC M151 FAV
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 03:31:49 AM »
Nice project! The mini-gun should look good!

I didn't realize that the USMC are using the G-Wagens. Do they only use the LWB version, or are there some SWB in use? The Revell kit is SWB, so some surgery would be needed (or the Azimut kit, for starters).

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 03:46:28 AM »
Frank, I believe the G-wagens (IFAV in Marine-speak) were all the LWB versions and are all out of service now -replaced by the M1161 Growler.

I do want to find the Revell Germany Wolf kit and Azimut conversion to do an IFAV.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 04:09:07 AM »
More pew pew = more better! :) 

Looks like you are off to a good start with this M151 Gun Truck
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 07:27:30 AM »
Some nice options in the weapons load out

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 09:22:13 AM »
Easy fit-out:

M134D-H Minigun on the rear pintle mount
M240H MMG on swing-arm mount for the passenger
M107A1 Barrett .50cal CQB on a swing-arm mount for the driver

Simples! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 07:37:29 PM »
Easy fit-out:

M134D-H Minigun on the rear pintle mount
M240H MMG on swing-arm mount for the passenger

Simples! ;)

I agree on the first two - the .50 may go on a swing arm at the rear of the jeep.  Can't have the LCpl driving distracted by having a big gun right there for him to use.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 10:40:05 PM »
Why not? ???

I would! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 04:19:41 AM »
Jeeps are always fun to see!

Will look forward to watching yours come together!

Brian da Basher

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 11:44:15 PM »
Update: the majority of construction is done.

Next up: Live Resin weapons.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 12:26:56 AM »
Love this concept!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 12:40:13 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 04:54:22 AM »
That's some very clean assembly there and nice progress!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 09:30:29 AM »
A bit of further explanation re: my thinking on this;

The M107 isn't a weapon than can be used effectively on the move, by anybody. Giving it to the driver means that the other two crew can provide cover whilst he is aiming & firing, & there is no chance that a nervous driver can put off his aim by jerking the car or taking off early in his haste to be gone. If the other gunners are nervous, it'll be because they're busy & only have time to swing a boot in his general direction and/or scream abuse at him.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 07:48:43 PM »
That makes sense.  I was thinking that mounting at the rear, it would only be used when the jeep is sitting still, by either of the gunners aboard, leaving the driver free to focus on driving.  Once I started fitting the ammo bin for the M134, I realized this was going to be a 3 man crew, and if I loaded it out with packs, the M107 either is omitted, or moved toward the front. 

I also have some AT4s to strap to the engine hood. 

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 11:52:41 PM »
I also have some AT4s to strap to the engine hood.

Which makes perfect sense. :smiley:

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2018, 03:03:50 AM »
Minor update today.  The wheel wells have to be opened up a little more to give the tires some clearance.  I'm working through ideas for some added roll bars as well.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 06:01:02 AM »
It looks like a pretty heavy vehicle already. How hard would it be to add a spacer to the axles or suspension to give the wheels a few more mm clearance?

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2018, 06:04:51 PM »
Gotta go with Frank on this.

With the tiny over-wheel gap the vehicle looks overloaded, small risers added to the suspension would give better clearances so it doesn't go through a set of tyres every 500km due to them being ground down by the wheel arches & would allow the front wheels to be turned more than a couple of degrees. Would look perfectly in keeping with the larger wheels & is what 4x4 guys do to their beasts.

You could also do it with slightly less rise at the back, giving the impression of greater weight at the rear of the vehicle.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 06:07:31 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 04:10:33 AM »
As I was fitting the tires, and shaving some plastic out of the wheel wells, I started to ponder how to "lift" the suspension slightly to get the whole jeep to ride higher.  I'll have to pry the assembled parts loose and see about adding some spacers and lengthened shocks. 

Thanks for the ideas, fellas.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 01:52:10 AM »
Progress report: I played with pulling the suspension apart to give the FAV a little more clearance - I would have probably broken most of the parts getting them separated, so I'll chalk it up to "lessons learned" and go with it as is. 

Got a little more done, see the following photos:

I'll let the glue set on the roll cage and then clean up the joints.