Author Topic: The tale of Panama Jack and the Curtiss P-36 in 1/72 scale  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The tale of Panama Jack and the Curtiss P-36 in 1/72 scale
« on: July 10, 2016, 02:24:04 AM »

The U.S. considers the Panama Canal a key strategic location and has always defended it accordingly. In 1940, this meant squadrons of ultra-modern Curtiss P-36 pursuits based at Albrook field.

The 16th Pursuit Group was one of these units and would play a key role as events unfolded.

The Axis was looking for opportunities to take over or at a minimum, close the canal. This would disrupt trade and the ability of the U.S. Navy to transit quickly between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. U.S. forces were on guard for any shenanigans.

The Axis found the opportunity they were looking for in the person of that famous raconteur and international man of adventure, Panama Jack.

Panama Jack had contacts all over the world and was more than willing to use them to seize the canal for the Axis for a price. Fortunately, U.S. intelligence had an ear to the ground (and the door, walls, etc.) so Panama Jack's efforts on behalf of the enemy did not remain secret for long.

Once he realized his perfidy had been discovered, Panama Jack went on the lam and the 16th Pursuit Group was tasked with hunting him down over the vast expanses of the central American isthmus.

The 16th Pursuit Group flew innumerable sorties searching for the fugitive, often operating from rough, forward bases. Every lead, no matter how thin, was followed up but Panama Jack remained elusive.

This was no reflection on the herculean efforts of the 16th Pursuit Group or their aircraft. The Curtiss P-36s performed flawlessly in the fruitless search under harsh tropical conditions.

While Panama Jack never faced justice for his double-dealing, the swift reaction of U.S. forces made the Axis wary of making any more serious attempts to take over or close the canal, at least until the Japanese sen toku or secret submarine attack plan in 1945.

The experience was a boon to the 16th Pursuit Group as it prepared them for the war-footing they'd be put on after the sinking of the U.S.S. Reuben James.

As for Panama Jack, it was rumored he'd been spotted running a sun tan oil stand on Miami Beach but this was never confirmed.

The 16th Pursuit Group would trade in their P-36s for more advanced aircraft and continue to defend the canal zone until disbanded in 1943 when its men and aircraft were reassigned to combat units.

Still, for one brief moment, the 16th Pursuit Group and its Curtiss P-36 Hawks would be the sole force to check Axis ambitions in central America.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:51:32 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: The tale of Panama Jack and the Curtiss P-36 in 1/72 scale
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 02:38:30 AM »
Nice little back story to go with yet another wicked looking Curtiss product :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 02:51:10 AM »
Ah! More P-36 perfection from the undisputed master of P-36s.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 03:36:40 AM »
This all started with the venerable 1/72 Mattel-o-gram P-36 (your boxing may vary):

I picked this up at the Renton show last April for all of $5. When I got it home, I discovered there were two P-36s in the box, one 2/3rds built. I felt like I'd hit the lottery. Since I was looking for a quick build over the 4th of July weekend, I decided the almost-built kit was ripe for sacrifice. I got sick over the holiday, so things were in limbo. I wanted a patriotic, real stars-and-stripes scheme. When I returned to it, I decided to use the decals from this lovely Panama Canal P-36 sheet from Starfighter:

That picture does these decals no justice. They're very well printed, completely in register and have nice details. A sheet of these goes for $5 ironically, and you get three sets of squadron markings, codes, wing walks, stencils and two complete sets of stars 'n' meatballs and rudder stripes. Starfighter also makes another sheet for stateside P-36s that's pretty sweet:

I can't recommend these decals enough but they're a bit on the touchy side and like to fold over themselves. A careful approach and some warm water helped me deal with any issues.

For me, this is about as close to OOB as I'll ever get. Since the fuselage was together and the wings on, this precluded major modifications in my mind. The only change was pulling up the landing gear. I did this by swapping out the wheels for wheel halves from another kit and chopping off the struts and replacing them with a bit of that lovely silver Monogram sprue which comes free with the kit. I used another nub of sprue to close up the tail wheel well. The only other mod was the wingtip Pitot tube (or was that a Venturi tube?). At one point while working on the landing gear, I knocked off the kit tube which vanished so I found a replacement. At first, I wasn't sure I liked the new, longer tube but now I think it gives this bird a rakish look.

Unfortunately, this shot shows the model's one fatal flaw. I'm not sure if those stripes are supposed to go further back than the instructions say or if I goofed somehow.

Actually, now that I think about, this would meet IPMS OOB rules if not for the decals, those half-wheels and the new tube...

The model is finished in acrylics using the ancient hairy stick method, Model Masters Light OD and Polly Scale Lettering Gray mostly. The engine and guns were painted Gunmetal and the canopy tinted with Medium Gray.

I had a whale of a time building this model over the past week, even if the only whiff was the paint. I have no idea if canal zone P-36s ever wore OD with squadron markings, but I'm happy how it all turned out.

I hope you enjoyed the Panama P-36 and reading a little more forgotten history.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 03:58:21 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 04:22:58 AM »
Wow ... 99% OOB! But a lovely build and the usual hilarious backstory  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 04:45:05 AM »
Nice story and nice built too,great job Brian!  :)
Alex

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 07:31:06 AM »
Great story and great P-36 Mr. DaBasher 8) 8) :) :)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 10:06:38 PM »
Brilliant as ever Brian. Can't wait for your history of world aviation to be published. :)
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 10:38:39 PM »
Beautiful P-36 and most enjoyable back story.  Bravo, sir!

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 02:32:28 AM »
Great work again Brian   :)   :icon_alabanza:

The P-36 is really quite a nice aeroplane, I've got a vacuform one in my stash as I was going to build the lineage of the P-47 as a group.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 11:27:17 AM »
I like the painted canopy, looking like a model of mine (but better, congratulations)...

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 02:57:18 AM »
Tons of fun!! interesting to see a US WWII bird in gray too  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher