Author Topic: 1/72 YugoMiG from a MiG-17 Fresco  (Read 5726 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 YugoMiG from a MiG-17 Fresco
« on: March 14, 2015, 11:19:45 PM »
Today, the name Yugo is famous world-wide for their classic automobiles.

Long forgotten is Yugo's foray into cutting-edge aircraft production decades earlier.

I bet you don't remember that, do you? I almost didn't either.

It all started when the Soviet Union agreed to supply Yugoslavia with MiGs. However, a break between Stalin and Tito caused problems. The enmity between the two great leaders was rumored to have been over a mysterious femme-fatale at the center of an explosive love triangle.

What this meant for the MiG deal was that the Soviets supplied second-rate engines, an under-powered clone of the Rolls-Royce Mean instead of a clone of the more famous high-performing Nene. The Yugoslavs were sent aircraft unsuitable for modern air combat. A solution had to be found, and fast.

A little re-design was made by adding wing-root intakes and a huge, powerful radial engine, the Yugo-Yunkers Umo Yumo, the most potent piston power plant known inside the Iron Curtain. Mating this with jet propulsion created an aircraft with unique capabilities.

Arming this beast with a license-produced Gatling gun under the nose and partnering it with a 37 m.m. cannon on the other side was true genius. Forced by necessity, the Yugoslavs had created one of the most formidable gun platforms in all of eastern Europe. Adding two more cannons in under-wing pods was simply over-kill, but one can never have too many guns.

While the YugoMiG never saw combat against a foreign foe, the aircraft was a serious deterrent to the Soviets and kept their tanks from rolling into Yugoslavia anytime Stalin was displeased.

The YugoMig soldiered on until finally retired in the mid 1970's when replaced with U.S. supplied Skyhawks. All that remains today of the old cold warrior is this poorly-made Plastikovny model for children age 5 and up.

Whatever happened to the vivacious femme-fatale that came between the two Communist strong-men is lost to history.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:52:34 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: 1/72 YugoMiG from a MiG-17 Fresco
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 11:20:51 PM »
Love it!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 11:48:03 PM »
This all started innocently enough with the classic 1/72 Hasegawa MiG-17 Fresco a friend sent me not too long ago.

This is a very cool, vintage kit. You know I'm squirreling away the best parts (like the intake and guns) for future use. Even the decals were a treat.

I finally have a set of East German markings in the stash, something I've been wanting for ages. The other markings are sweet too, especially those wildly inaccurate yellow stars. You know I'm just itching to find the right project for them.

Since I was saving that wicked intake, I had to find a replacement. Fortunately, a Do-17 engine & cowling was a great fit. Next I swiped the wing-root intakes from a Vampire and from there, the model just fell together.

The prop is from an Airfix P-40. I added the oil cooler intake from a Spitfire as a fairing for the Gatling gun which is a recycled W.W. I machine gun.

The 37 m.m. on the other side was made from a landing gear strut and a bit of sanded sprue. The under-wing gun pods were fashioned from the kit's missile rails & pylons.

The model was brush-painted by hand with acrylics, Poly Scale Gray-Green (or is it Green-Gray?) and Olive Drab mostly. Decals were swiped from an Airfix F-86 Sabre.

I really dithered on this one. While the modifications and building only took about a week, it was another couple of weeks before I was able to call it done.

I hope you enjoyed the YugoMiG and reading a little forgotten Eastern-Bloc aviation history.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:07:24 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 11:57:38 PM »
Absolute modelling madness Brian!! 

I am assuming the cost per airframe was $3,990?
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 12:16:11 AM »
Yes, only $3,990!*

*$3,990 MFG SUGG PRICE FOR YUGO G.V. TRANS $320, DEALER PREP $90, TOTAL $4,400 EXCL TAX AND TITLE

Brian da Basher

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 12:41:36 AM »
Love it Brian   :-* :-*

doing something similar only I haven't finished it yet, been in the packing box for years now  :(

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 06:22:09 AM »
Simply wonderful plastic insanity Mr. DaBasher!!  8) 8) Your an inspiration to us mere mortals  :) :)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 09:33:43 AM »
Brilliance in design concept-build.  Prop & radial flow into airframe and jet intakes just like the real YugoMig 8)
Yet again, ideal colors. 
Your history reference books are second to no one's.

Offline ed s

• An outstanding, creative builder.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 09:50:17 AM »
Brilliant. Another excellent escape from normalcy.

Ed

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 10:42:42 AM »
Hilarious and brilliant as usual BdB! And the P-40 spinner on the Dornier cowling is an amazing fit  :)

"Whatever happened to the vivacious femme-fatale that came between the two Communist strong-men is lost to history. "  Not to worry, they eventually figured out the identity of 'The Man who Never Was'. Someday, historical researchers will be able to tell us what became of this alluring babe-fest  ;)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 04:46:28 AM »
I like it. Clever use of many different kits - whose parts fit perfectly - and an unusual air force to model. Bravo Brian!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 01:56:55 PM »
Notice how dreamy eyed Stalin and Tito are.  That babe with a flower in her hair has them two wowed in a love/desire trance.  Probably hottest foxy lady either had known.

Unlike picture of the lady; for me the YugoMig pictures look better with each viewing.  I find YogoMig has better angles/curves/sculpture than she does.  Classy build :)

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 05:25:41 AM »
Wow!! Awesome work sir. And I do so love your backstories!!

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 10:24:56 PM »
Wow!!  :-* It looks so fitting! I want to build one of these myself!!  :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher