Author Topic: Project - "Tropic Moon III" B-51G - 2 Sqn. RAAF Vietnam 1971 - closed  (Read 4688 times)

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
  • now if I just had time to finish all my projects!!
Ok this is a new project which I have been planning for a GB on another site.

It was inspired by some of Logan’s amazing profiles, specifically those of the B-51 (XB-51) shown below. The Israeli version was the one I found the most interesting, but the nose of the second one I liked as well. So the plan was hatched to combine them both and build a precision strike aircraft for the Israeli air force.

I also have another project that I’ve shown here for a RAAF Skyshark operating in Vietnam. That really got me thinking these past couple of days and now I finally have a plan!!!  I’m chasing a 1/48 Collect-Aire XB-51, so I may get to do both eventually!

So a real “WhatIf” scenario.....

The Martin XB-51 was given the go ahead over the EE Canberra as the USAF’s new ground attack aircraft. The Australian government at this was also looking at a replacement for the Avro Lincoln bombers, and with strengthening ties to the US chose the B-51 over the Canberra. The contract also allowed for the aircraft to be built locally, with the first aircraft entering service in late 1953, initially seeing action in the Malayan Emergency.

In 1967 in response to the request of the US, 2 Sqn sent a detachment of aircraft to Vietnam, primarily for bombing missions over the southern region, where they were commended for their performance. No.2 Sqn were deployed again in 1971 again in bombing support missions as well as a new ground attack role. For this the RAAF were supplied under a lend-lease arrangement 6 new “Tropic Moon III” B-51G’s, which had a modified nose containing FLIR, LLTV and laser designator. Plus one special Pave Gat modified aircraft that was fitted with a single M61 20mm cannon mounted in an Emerson TAT-161 turret fitted to a modified bomb bay. These aircraft were deployed to help combat the movement of enemy troop and supplies along the Ho Chi Min trail and other areas. Though not 100% successful at this task when compared to the AC-130’s, these aircraft served the rest of their time in Vietnam in this role carrying out over 12000 sorties for the loss of only two aircraft.

On return to Australia they served with No’s 1 & 6 Sqn until the last was retired in 1982, they were ultimately replaced by the North American A-5C & RA-5C Vigilante (can see another project here!).

So this one is going to be one of the Tropic Moon B-51G’s, maybe even the Pave Gat one. I’ll be using a Anigrand's 1/72 XB-51 (it's resin and I love it!) as the base and pinching the nose, cockpit and other bits off an old B-57G I have, plus whatever else I can find in the spares box or on Evilbay which will suit the build. The scheme will be standard USAF SEA colours based on Logan's profile, which is quite suitable as it’s a “lend-lease” aircraft, with RAAF 2 Sqn markings of that period.

The only thing I felt that wasn’t quite right with the nose of the USAF B-51 was the angle of the radome and chin pod, they seem to be facing too far down. So a quick visit in Photoshop (hope you don’t mind Logan) and a nose job later......

Anyway I will be starting this project in the near future, either the beginning of May or August as part of a GB.....unless time and job permit I can start sooner....have plenty of other projects for those GB’s. Plus will have a separate thread for the build so as to leave this one for ideas and comments.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:41:31 PM by trickyrich »

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Project - "Tropic Moon III" B-51G - 2 Sqn. RAAF Vietnam 1971
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 12:00:31 AM »
Looks good, trickyrich! I can't wait to see it in plastic! A number of people have talked about it over the years, but I think you'll be the first to get it done!

I'm still planning on doing some RAAF Panthers in Vietnam, but I plan to do the Avon version with side-by-side seating.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 12:14:59 AM »
I originally misread it as RAAF B-52 but this is even better, I can't wait to see the finished product.

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 12:20:45 AM »
I look forward to seeing those!!!

I have liked the XB-51 for years, my father had a lot of aviation books from the 50's and it was just one of the many aircraft from that era that just amazed me.

Looking at it now you could almost imagine it as a Luft46 project aircraft with Junkers Jumo 004's fitted instead of GE J47's.

If I hadn't committed myself to other GB's and hosting them I would make a start my next break home. I have had a wee start already, part of the main fuselage (it's in 4 pieces) was quite badly wrapped, gotta love resin, so have started to straighten it. The donor B-57G has already donated the parts required!  ;)

But like most of my big projects it's all in the planning.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 01:02:30 PM »
Outstanding idea!! :D I know this as I a had similar idea a few years ago, although it would've been a relatively "standard" aircraft in 72nd scale compared to what you have planned. :D
I really look forward to this becoming plastic!!! 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 04:27:05 PM »
Looks good, trickyrich! I can't wait to see it in plastic! A number of people have talked about it over the years, but I think you'll be the first to get it done!

I'm still planning on doing some RAAF Panthers in Vietnam, but I plan to do the Avon version with side-by-side seating.

Cheers,

Logan

Nice!!!!

M.A.D

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 03:58:09 AM »

Doh!  :-[ I need to get my eyes on some of your profiles and get too work!  :)

Very excited about this, trickyrich
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 04:08:01 PM »
Ok folks this one is a goer!!!   ;D

I had another project that was planned but it will just be too much work to do in a GB, so it will become a long tem project like the Heinkel was. Basically it was a 1/48 Ar234 which was going to be turned into an advanced night-fighter with Turbo-prop engines and swept wings.

Unfortunately two of the main mod components are from Unicraft and are not in the best shape, no big dramas, just lots of work, too much for a GB. I hope to start this one later in the year.

Ok so I am sort of free to start the "tropic Moon III" build shortly, so full stream ahead with the planning....the first resin dust will be cut soon!!!  ;) 

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 02:23:31 AM »
I like your thinking!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 08:41:07 PM »
ok I'm about to start this project so will start a new build thread for it, this one will now be closed.