Author Topic: Project Recce-Phantom  (Read 4662 times)

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
Project Recce-Phantom
« on: February 27, 2013, 01:46:50 AM »
1/48 RF-4 variant.

It's difficult to see in this photo, but the blue ink line on the nose is where a 1/48 F-14 nose will graft right on.  This kit had been picked up for a song from some internet purveyor and had been slated for conversion to a Phantom bearing Phoenixes as I had a spare, slightly mis-moulded resin F-14 nose that fits on.    But I changed my mind.    ;D    No more Phoenixes for this particular model.    They are going somewhere else.

The plan at this stage is to do a near-OOB build for a Nearly Is what if build.      The only hint at this time is that it involves some left over decals from a different 1/48 kit as well as a backstory integrated into President Eisenhower's secret ''37 annex'' act of 1960.    But this will be circa 1975-95.   

Additional parts under consideration:   Eduard nozzels.   But they cost at least twice what I paid for the kit.  :o    And I plan to cover the intakes as I want the color contrast so I may simply button up the tail pipes. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:39:16 AM by Daryl J. »
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Project Recce-Phantom
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 06:57:21 AM »
I have a suggestion that might be handy, Dr Daryl, the famous Kelly Johnson acronym KISS.

Good luck and I look forward to your updates!

Brian da Basher

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 07:43:29 AM »
Thanks!   ;D

It will be, simply put, the most difficult paint scheme I've ever done.   And with luck, it will turn out fine.  Key word:  Luck.   And it abandons the KISS method thoroughly.     That would also be a hint.    ;)
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 10:38:27 AM »
Add to that M2C1 (measure twice, cut once) :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:43:40 PM »
The rough outline:

US owned.
German based RF-4E.
Pre-F-4X engine test bed....but the engines were developed by Swedish engineers.    For those disfamiliar with the workings of the Swedish engineering mind, have a look at what Volvo did to the Boeing 737-100 series engines.  Give them a J-79 too!   ;D ;D
However, in order to be better tested the machines involved had to spend certain time in Sweden.
And the Swedes would get assistance with engine technology in exchange for their gathering of information on the Soviets via this ''37 annex'' (real world btw) signed into action by President Eisenhower in 1960.    And, being in Sweden, the Phantom naturally would be dressed in splinter green and wear Swedish roundels left over from the Draken kit. 

Why not? 

:)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:32:37 PM by Daryl J. »
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 12:52:18 PM »
Considering that Volvo's afterburning Avons showed better performance than RR's equivalents, I'd love to see what they could do with the J79, though I suspect GE was better at afterburner design than RR.

BTW, I'm told that the RM8's afterburner owes something to P&W's J58 work (heard this years ago while employed there, don't know how true it is).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:05:09 PM by elmayerle »

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 01:02:14 PM »
It would not surprise.   Even as a kid the first time I saw a photo of the Viggen the tailpipe looked to my eyes to be very similar to the SR-71.   

Edit:  Gee thanks mods...a slow building tease???    ;D ;D ;D

Now to slowly transpose this onto the Phantom planform:

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:04:13 PM by Daryl J. »
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
Re: Project Recce-Phantom (priority three)
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 11:51:34 AM »
I like where this is going! I always preferred the Phantom in SEA-style schemes and Swedish splinter should look even better!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 12:55:27 PM »
Thanks.   There is no rush to complete this kit but I must confess I'm just itching to lay down the paint. 
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 04:42:00 AM »
Thanks.   There is no rush to complete this kit but I must confess I'm just itching to lay down the paint.

We are itching to see too   :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 02:48:57 AM »

We are itching to see too   :)
There's a cream you can get for that...

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 06:36:56 AM »
Splinter camo !! GO FOR IT LAD !!