Author Topic: Another of mine, sadly no longer with us !!  (Read 6782 times)

Offline smeds

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Another of mine, sadly no longer with us !!
« on: April 02, 2012, 10:05:23 PM »
Must do this one again sometime.

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
Re: Another of mine, sadly no longer with us !!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 11:46:47 PM »
Really looks the part there !!  :)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 01:02:56 AM »
A nice take on the Osprey and the high-visibility yellow makes it stand out in the crowd.  What happened to the model?  Broken up for scrap?  Donated?  Lost under mysterious circumstances?   
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline smeds

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 02:21:37 AM »
A nice take on the Osprey and the high-visibility yellow makes it stand out in the crowd.  What happened to the model?  Broken up for scrap?  Donated?  Lost under mysterious circumstances?

Got trashed in a house move when me and the ex split.

Got another kit but next time I might do a Navy 771 Squadron machine. Think it might look good in gray and red

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 02:31:19 AM »
Got trashed in a house move when me and the ex split.

Got another kit but next time I might do a Navy 771 Squadron machine. Think it might look good in gray and red

That is a most unfortunate end to a very nice looking Osprey. 

A shame your practice wife was so callous to allow the model to be destroyed. 

Hopefully you have fewer problems with your Osprey. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 02:35:57 AM »
That is nice.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 02:45:00 AM »
Nice take on the Osprey and you have my condolences on your loss.

Welcome to BTS!

Brian da Basher

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 05:47:20 AM »
Considering he's a rescue pilot i wonder what ol Prince william would think of a Osprey work bird ?   ;D

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 03:57:02 PM »
Cracking build, how'd you do the canopy?

Andrew
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline smeds

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 06:59:27 PM »
Cracking build, how'd you do the canopy?

Andrew

Just good old Tamiya masking tape. You can actually see into the cockpit, but it is very dark "clear" plastic.

Offline Rafael

• El capitán del Cartón
  • Head of the Venezuelan Brigade
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
Sorry for the loss of a very beautiful bird.

But the SAR crew survived and are itchin' to receive their new mount!!!

Rafa
I don't take life seriously. I'm not getting out of it alive anyways.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 12:45:42 AM »
Must do this one again sometime.

Doing a search for information on a new version of the Hughes 500 series and what do I find but an Osprey that I thought was your Osprey model at first glance when I saw the thumbnail image.  But that was not the case when I opened the link and discovered the article was about Canada considering an SAR Osprey in yellow livery

Offline smeds

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 01:36:11 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys.

As earlier, I already have a kit and decals, just need to decide RAF 202 Squadron or RN 771 Squadron now.

Something I did notice when I built this model was the winch placement, I think it would have to be under the tail or over a new door in the aft fuselage because of clearance of the props/rotors when in forward flight. But then they could also install a folding winch in the forward door similar to those found on SAR Huey's.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 02:29:46 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys.

As earlier, I already have a kit and decals, just need to decide RAF 202 Squadron or RN 771 Squadron now.

Something I did notice when I built this model was the winch placement, I think it would have to be under the tail or over a new door in the aft fuselage because of clearance of the props/rotors when in forward flight. But then they could also install a folding winch in the forward door similar to those found on SAR Huey's.

I would think that the hoist you are concerned about would be mounted inside the aircraft to slide or swing out for employment.  Of course the suggestion to mount it at the rear is also possible.  Maybe have a hoist in both locations? 

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 06:09:42 AM »
That is a beauty of an Osprey! Love the yellow SAR scheme and it looks flawless.  I've got plans to make one of the many -22 kits in my stash into a Canadian SAR bird at some point. I was thinking of going with a winch at the tail ramp as well as one at the forward door - double hoist operations to get more people out of harms' way faster!