Author Topic: Hawk 1/48 Gee Bee racers. "Army Mule" & "Devil Dog".  (Read 3211 times)

Offline CSMO

• Don't need no filthy stinking airbrush!
  • Plastic Butcher, & Master of Three-foot Scale.
Hawk 1/48 Gee Bee racers. "Army Mule" & "Devil Dog".
« on: August 28, 2014, 01:03:32 AM »
In the U.S. civilian racing planes blew the doors off of the military aircraft in service. In 1933 The Marines and the Army juggled some funds to contract with the Granville brothers to build one improved Gee Bee Model R Super Sportster per service . They would be competitive racers and speed record machines. The Secretaries of War and Navy said NO! They ended their days flying at exhibitions and airshows or as static displays for the recruiters at state and county fairs.

These kits date from 1960. They are original Hawk Model Co. releases. I removed most of the engraved and raised panel lines and re-scribed the control surfaces. I added a couple of pilots from two trashed Monogram Wildcats. Construction is OOB.

The Devil Dog is brush-painted Citadel Games Workshop Yriel Yellow, Testors Flat Red and Silver with two brush-coats of Future. The Army Mule is the same hand-brushed Yellow, Humbrol Gloss Orange, and Pollyscale OD with a double brush-coat of Future.

The Rudder stripes on the Marine plane are painted, the Army plane are painstakingly made piece by piece from scrap red and blue decal material over a white base. The rest of the decals came from scraps of decal sheets from about ten different models.

I am very happy with the results. I am contemplating doing some more of the old Hawk 1/48 racers as "What-if?" builds.

Adios, Larry.
Field Artillerymen do it with a bigger BANG!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: Hawk 1/48 Gee Bee racers. "Army Mule" & "Devil Dog".
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 01:46:01 AM »
Gorgeous work!!  The name of the USMC aircraft reminds me of an old 1930's Republic serial, FIghting Devil Dogs which had all sorts of interesting bits, including a USMC version of a Douglas Dolphin doing na inflight link-up with a trans-Pacific pasenger dirigible.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 02:32:02 AM »
These may be some of my favorites of yours yet, Larry!

You really have a wonderful talent for those bright, U.S. inter-war schemes.

Well done!

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 07:41:01 AM »
Nice
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 07:43:30 AM »
Shiny!  I recall someone building a fighter version of the GB but it was no where near as nice looking as your work. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 11:04:04 AM »
I like them both!

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 09:16:35 AM »
Great concept and I love the backstory  ;D
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz