Author Topic: New webpages  (Read 4648 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
New webpages
« on: April 01, 2012, 04:20:24 AM »
Hi folks,

As originally mentioned here, as part of our ongoing efforts to improve the "Beyond the Sprues" experience, we are looking to add a front page (i.e a web page that people would see if they type in www.beyondthesprues.com) Both RussC and Frank3k have volunteered to have a go (thanks guys!!!).

This thread is to allow them (and others if anyone 'steps into the ring') to post some of their concept ideas for the new pages and forum look here.  This will also allow members to provide feedback and suggestions.  At the end of the process, if need be we will have a Poll to choose which way we go.

All part of our ongoing democratic approach and emphasising the message stated here, that Beyond The Sprues is not my forum, but rather our forum.

I look forward to the ideas and feedback.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
Re: New webpages
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 04:25:12 AM »
Allrighty then. Here is a first design for a different front page. This is a concept and not a final. My sketch style is very detailed because it is more based on designing versus creative arts. This could be used in two ways and a lot of that would be determined by how SMF forums work and if they can place links and buttons underneath graphic pieces or defined geographies versus only onto text lines. If anything can be hyperlinked then this could be a entirely graphic front page OR a upper part where those who would like to select graphically can use it but the regular forum in chart structure layout is still there below.

Be critical but in doing so, provide your own ideas of what you think it should be, ideas are hard to come by, graphics are easy.

Behind each door would be further graphics at the next page, depending on each area.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 04:46:55 AM »
Thanks Russ, one comment:  If this is the first page seen by people (members and non-members) who type in http://www.beyondthesprues.com/ or who go directly to the Forum for that matter, then both "Support Material" and "The Back Bar" are not accessible/viewable by non-members.

Regards,

Greg

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 04:55:46 AM »
Good catch! I did leave off the Sparring room at least!  :D

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 10:13:44 AM »
The What-if URL goes straight to the forum. The Starship Modeler discussion board has a landing page with a brief description and a link to go to the forum: http://www.starshipmodeler.net/

I'm not sure that we need a front page at the base URL, since all we have here is just the forum. It's redu...wait, this guy has something to say:

At most, we could put up Greg's brief Mission Statement that has been vetted by the Beyond the Sprues Legal Department, just in case someone types in the URL expecting a site that discusses the primer vs no-primer controversy in late war German Panzer construction, etc.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 04:03:42 AM »
Folks,

Some feedback here would be nice. Both Russ and Frank have/are putting some effort into this - it helps though to have feedback since this is a work in progress.

Regards,

Greg

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 05:10:08 AM »
Anything is better than the shirt in the closet and my vote goes to RussC's design. You have to admit there's something about chimeras flying in formation that just grabs you.

Good job, Russ!

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 06:09:24 AM »
Hi folks,

This has gone onto the back burner for a bit since everyone has been busy.  I am interested in revisiting it though.  However before doing so, I would like your thoughts/opinions etc.

To clarify and to reiterate what is said earlier, this page would be what would come up when http://beyondthesprues.com (instead of what you see now).  At this stage, I was thinking that we would have something simply that would have simple links into the forum proper along maybe with a simple statement detailing what we are about as well as maybe a link to register.  It could however have more...if you wanted it.

Specifically I would like your feedback on the following:

Do we need a front webpage?

If so, what would you want to see on it?

Do you want a Gallery or similar?

Do you have any suggestions as to appearance?

Do you want news items displayed?

Do you have any other comments?

I would really appreciate your feedback here folks.

Regards,

Greg

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 08:20:30 AM »
Greg:

Do we need a front webpage?
Sure. Would it cost more to have one?

If so, what would you want to see on it?
Given the recent discussion on the other Forum, A salute to The Greatness of Whiffing.   ;D

Do you want a Gallery or similar?
Yes please. Some thing that is independent of the threads. Maybe a scrolling bar which you can click on?

Do you have any suggestions as to appearance?
A weekly or monthly change of the header image. Could be finished build, Profile etc. 

Do you want news items displayed?
Some type of member supplied/contributed feed would be good.

Do you have any other comments?
Please keep the link: View the most recent posts on the forum. It's a great way to get the highlights.

Carl
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:42:30 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...