Author Topic: Supermarine SwiftFire PR5  (Read 3141 times)

Supermarine SwiftFire PR5
« on: May 08, 2014, 02:57:03 AM »
SwiftFire point Air Defense Fighter
During the Battle of Britain, Chain Home stations — most notably the one at Ventnor, Isle of Wight — were attacked several times between 12 and 18 August 1940. On one occasion a section of the radar chain in Kent, including the Dover CH, was put out of action by a lucky hit on the power grid. Because the signals were soon restored, the Luftwaffe concluded the stations were too difficult to damage by bombing and left them alone for the remainder of the war. Had the Luftwaffe realised just how essential the radar stations were to British air defences, it is likely that they would have expended greater effort to destroy them. However these incidents were taken very seriously by the British, as the possibility that the radars could be knocked out would mean very little warning of an incoming raid.
It was with this in mind that a specification was issued for a fast climbing interceptor able to intercept the Bombers before they crossed the Coast.
The SwiftFire was Supermarines answer. Development started in late September but the project was fraught with difficulties. By the time Supermarine had sorted out the weight, cooling and other problems the need for the aircraft had all but disappeared. In a final attempt to interest the Air Ministry in the Aircraft, Supermarine re-designed the Airframe to accept two Rolls-Royce Griffon power plants and cameras in an effort to produce a rival for the PR Mosquitos. The Air Ministry were at the time looking for possible replacements for the Mosquitos operating in the Far East which were suffering problems with the glue disbanding causing structural failure. It is believed about 17 SwiftFire PR 5's were produced before production was terminated due to the end of the war.
SwiftFire PS388 "R" served with the photographic development unit at Benson.
Late in 1946 she returned to The Supermarine works for overhaul. It was here that the idea came about to enter the Aircraft for the Kings cup Air race, and if that proved successful, of making an attempt on the piston engined worlds speed record, it was to this end that she received her highly polished dark Green paint work.

Some of you may remember Old Wombats Supermarine Surefire from a couple of months? Back,
This is my Version of a push-pull you Spitfire that got a passing mention in Guys work in progress.
Which I've finally managed to finish :)

Regards
Keith

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
Re: Supermarine SwiftFire PR5
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 03:19:48 AM »
 :)

Very British good chap! LOL
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 05:37:24 AM »
Absolutely wonderful!

I don't know how you did it, but you made the "push-pull" configuration look seamless!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 10:48:18 AM »
Not just any old mention, I might add, it was (& is) the inspiration for my build.

And a better inspiration one could not ask for! :)

Great finish, mate! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 12:42:18 PM »
Well done Tall!! 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 02:15:19 PM »
Certainly has a bit of wow factor.