Author Topic: 1/72 RCAF Night Hawkfire and a story of Bad Poutine  (Read 4977 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 RCAF Night Hawkfire and a story of Bad Poutine
« on: July 16, 2016, 11:54:26 PM »

With war clouds gathering, 1938 found Canada negotiating for a license to produce Spitfires. This coincided unfortunately with a royal visit by Her Majesty, the Queen. Trouble began when poutine was served at a state dinner in Ottawa.

It was originally assumed the Queen was forced to leave so quickly due to the worsening European war crisis. However the truth would soon be revealed.

After all this, while Britain was happy to grant Canada a production license to build Spitfires, they didn't feel Canada had the requisite good judgement to learn the secrets of the Merlin engine that powered them.

Another answer would have to be found and found fast. That answer came in the form of the Allison V-1710 for which the Americans would be happy to grant a production license. A new, hybrid aircraft would soon take to the skies about the Great White North.

A former Packard Canada plant in Alliston, Ontario was re-tooled and engines soon began rolling off the line. Unfortunately, there were minor quality issues with name plate adhesion that continue to spark arguments between aircraft historians to this day.

Heavily armed with 10 machine guns, the new aircraft was indeed formidable and seemed ideal for home defense. A night fighter version was made which was called the Night Hawkfire and would end up being the most produced variant. This would come none too soon.

By 1941, war had come and Canada was not alone in fearing surprise air attack. Unexplained sightings were reported as summer wore on.

The RCAF wasn't going to take these intrusions laying down and initiated round-the-clock patrols, keeping an eye peeled for enemy aircraft.

Unfortunately, the intruders weren't enemy aircraft, but the Canadian Night Budgie.

Still the RCAF searched in vain for invading bomber fleets. At least they looked good doing it in their new Night Hawkfires. Countless flight hours were logged in the fruitless search. Still, the fact that Ontario never suffered an enemy air attack speaks volumes about the capabilities of this aircraft.

Eventually, the real cause of the scare was discovered.

Clever use of poutine baiting stations controlled the Canadian Night Budgies and they would never again be a threat. As for the Night Hawkfire, once Britain felt Canada could be trusted again, it became obsolete and forgotten, replaced by actual Spitfires. All that remains today is this hazy historic account, some faded newsclippings and this Canfix children's snap-tite model (ages 6 and up only!) which is long out of production.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 12:24:19 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: 1/72 RCAF Night Hawkfire and a story of Bad Poutine
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 12:36:07 AM »
Brilliant   :) :) :)

That Spitfire looks strangely very interesting too, like how you re-worked the radiators.

As an aside, is there really any "'good"" poutine -----    ;D

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 12:21:03 AM »
This all began with a 1/72 Spitfire that I assumed was Airfix. I'd been puttering around with it for a while trying different things, so it was a bit of a shock to notice upon gluing it all together that the kit was actually by Revell. I started by amputating the Merlin and trying out different engine swaps. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Allison from an Airfix P-40C fit.

This kit came in a bag and some small parts were missing, like one of the landing gear doors. No trouble cutting out a new one as I was also snipping panels to cover the under wing areas for the radiator and oil cooler.

Trust me, this will all work out, sort of...

The P-40 Allison engine exhausts were swapped for shrouded ones from a Mosquito. I don't think shrouded exhausts rust like the regular pipes, but I like the contrast.

After this was done, it was off to the paint shop. The old hairy stick was used along with some Model Masters Interior Black.

Decals were mostly from a sheet for a 1/144 Lancaster. Those cool Canadian Red Ensigns are from a custom sheet Baz made for me years ago (thanks a million, Mr Howling Mouse!).

This took me all of four days once I realized how nicely that Allison fits. It was a very relaxing project. Here's a couple of shots showing the difference with and without the flash.

A tip 'o the pin to The Big Gimper who suggested the idea of the 'T' falling off the Alliston engine name plate for the back story.

I hope you enjoyed the Night Hawkfire and reading a little more history that's fallen between the cracks.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 09:04:25 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 12:53:50 AM »
I've got one of those brown Revell Spitfires Brian, it's a Mk.IIa or something like that.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 05:35:06 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 08:25:20 AM »
Twisted, very cool 8) 8) ;D
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 10:45:07 AM »

Offline TurboCoupeTurbo

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 10:44:53 AM »
Now that just works!  Excellent!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 01:30:54 PM »
Admit I am not well read on many incidents not main stream to the war and prewar.
Some political upheaval figuratively and literally I was not privy to before this.
Lesson learned from Budgie Kannuckus Nocturnus meant poutine countermeasures could be applied during war time when radar was truly needed.
Low profile planes don't get press as the well known ones do.  Nice of you to kitbash a model of Night Hawkfire (no kits are made) for all to see.
Excellent research on your part  :)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 06:05:05 PM »
Brilliant   :) :) :)

That Spitfire looks strangely very interesting too, like how you re-worked the radiators.

As an aside, is there really any "'good"" poutine -----    ;D

Yes, there is "good" poutine if you only account for the taste and not your clogged arteries.  ;)
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 07:11:24 AM »
 ;D ;D Oh Brian, that's hilarious! I just love the night budgie with its little hat! And, my my, I'd like to see more of the Queen.

As a (slightly relevant) aside, local chain restaurant Burger Fuel has recently introduced the Canuckistani culinary concoction to our own shores...and named it Vladimir Poutine!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline kill me now, put me out of pain

• Holding Pattern
  • What, is this place facebook, delete my account
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 12:49:11 AM »
x
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 12:46:45 PM by mundster »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 04:48:18 AM »
Very nice model, interesting history.

Having been raised in Québec, I remain unconvinced.

Perhaps she didn't have the good stuff.

Je me souviens.

Well, you wouldn't expect them to tap the Strategic Poutine Reserves for the good stuff just for this, would you?

Love the Putin Poutine. You guys slay me.  ;D

Brian da Basher