Author Topic: Acree's Profiles  (Read 103333 times)

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
Acree's Profiles
« on: June 10, 2012, 02:33:22 PM »
Hi Guys,

This is my first new profile in several years.  It's the beginning of a series I am planning on the aircraft of a pair of fictional nations in the 1930s and 40s.

This is a Northrop Gamma 2T torpedo bomber of the Farallon Air Force.  This island nation received 20 Gammas starting in 1934 to replace their Great Lakes TG-2s.  In Farallonian service, the Gammas were christened 'Frigatebirds' due to their large wingspan, although they were commonly called F-birds or Gammas in service.  They remained in service until 1942 with the 2nd Torpedo Squadron, whose emblem was the popular Felix the Cat, seen on the cowl of their aircraft.

The Gamma 2T could carry one 2000 pound torpedo and was armed with two fixed .30 caliber machine guns plus one flexible .30 cal in the rear cockpit and another in the ventral position, both manned by the very busy radio operator.

BTW, in the Real World, Northrop actually proposed this aircraft, in the 1930s, but found no interested buyers.  The Gamma was developed into a light bomber/attack aircraft which was sold to China and into the A-17 for the USAAC.
Hope you all enjoy this profile.  More are coming!

Chuck

Re: Acree's Profiles
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 08:02:55 PM »
Nice! The Gamma does lend itself to being a torpedo bomber doesn't it?

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 09:21:23 PM »
Very nice.

I have one in the stash. I am planning to make a NMF USAAC observation bird, O-42A.

Maybe a few more should be acquired.  ;)
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 03:13:50 AM »
Outstanding.  Can't wait to see more.

Glad you are back at it Chuck!!!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 07:04:09 AM »
Very nice. Going Gamma rather than Delta would give you space for a huge fuselage fuel tank!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Acree

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 08:34:01 AM »
I agree, Apophenia (and thanks to all for your comments!).  The "standard" Gamma and Delta are almost identical in top speed (the Gamma being about 4 knots faster) and wing loading, but the Gamma has an almost 500 mile range advantage - all the more reason the Farallonians chose them: without aircraft carriers to extend their range, they needed the extra range to protect their far flung islands from amphibious invasion or naval bombardment. 

Continued Backstory:

The indigenous Farallonian aircraft industry (Capstan Aviation, Limited) had produced five new-build Gammas under license; by the end of the 1930s they had completed an ambitious modernisation program.  This consisted of installing a Pratt & Whitney R-1830 of 1,100 hp, retractable landing gear and a new cockpit located further forward.  This last change was the result of the aircrews' most consistent complaint - poor visibility from the aft-located cockpit and low, heavily framed canopy.  This required also a small dorsal fin to maintain lateral stability.  The end result was the Frigatebird II, which had better performance but was still limited by its heavy structure and antiquated wing profile.  Only 6 Frigatebird IIs were built, of which 2T8 shown below was the last surviving, being retired in 1944.   

Offline apophenia

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 09:31:34 AM »
The Frigatebird II turned out to be a 'looker', Acree. And it almost looks as if they could have squeezed that illusive third crew member under the new canopy.

Are the tail markings the Farallonian flag?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Acree

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 11:27:01 AM »
Yes, I was surprised how good the Frigatebird II looked when I finished! 

The tail markings are the Farallonian flag.  I "invented" the Farallons as a very sea-faring nation.  I envision a sort of Atlantic version of Indonesia in terms of geography, but more like a much bigger version of Malta in terms of culture.  I chose the scallop shell as a national symbol to represent the sea, but in a relatively peaceful way.  In the small scale wars I will be depicting, Farallon will be the "victim" of aggression. 

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 01:30:16 PM »
The Frigatebird II turned out to be a 'looker', Acree.

Agree completely!  Very nice!

Cheers,

Logan

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 08:25:34 PM »
The Frigatebird II looks great! Moving the cockpit forward makes a lot of sense and the end result looks much more balanced.

Looking forward to Capstan Aviation's next development.

Offline Acree

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 02:28:43 PM »
In 1936, the Farallonian Air Staff was seeking a replacement for the Douglas biplanes of the 6th Observation Squadron.  Requirements included a range of 1200 miles, a top speed of 200 miles per hour, and a crew of 2.  The aircraft needed to be a stable camera platform and be easy-to-fly.  During a visit to the USA, Lance Margon, head of the Farallonian purchasing mission, chanced to meet Talbert “Ted” Abrams.  Abrams pitched his P-1 Explorer, then under construction. 
On paper, the P-1 looked ideal for the Farallonians.  Margon tried to purchase six P-1s right off the drawing board, but Abrams lacked the production capacity, so Margon worked out a license manufacturing arrangement on behalf of Capstan Aviation, Ltd.  The first aircraft, christened Capstan Observer flew in mid-1937.  Sixteen Capstan Observers were built in 1937 and 1938. 
During 1938, it was decided to adapt the Observer to float undercarriage for use from ships of the Farallonian Navy as well as isolated island outposts.  The float modification necessitated enlarging the vertical tail surfaces, but other changes were minimal.  The resulting aircraft was not well-liked, as speed and range both fell dramatically.  Nevertheless, twelve Observer IIs were built and equipped 4 Navy ships and a shore-based flight of the 6th Observation Squadron. 
Finally, in 1940, with the Frigatebird II development program complete, the design department of Capstan turned to upgrading the Observer.  The Observer III received an upgraded engine installation and retractable landing gear, and included the ability to carry drop tanks or external stores.  Planned pressurization was abandoned as being beyond the state of the art for the Farallonians.  The Observer III was not built in series, but there were two prototypes: one (6-O-14) received an R-1535 radial engine in an updated cowl, and the other (6-O-15) was equipped with a Curtiss V-1570 Conqueror.  Both prototypes served in the 6th Observation Squadron on strategic reconnaissance missions.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:50:02 PM by Acree »

Offline Acree

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 02:47:02 PM »
And for those who are interested inthat sort of thing... a close up of the mascot of the 6th Observation Squadron, "Ducky."

And the logo of Capstan Aviation, Ltd.

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 07:06:30 PM »
Interesting choice with the Abrams machine. I like the modifications you've made.

Offline Acree

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 12:10:23 AM »
Thanks, EH.  To be perfectly honest, I haven't scaled the new engines carefully, but just went with the TLAR method (That Looks About Right).  I'll work harder to scale things better in the future. 

I've always liked the Abrams and thought it a shame that it didn't find a use in WWII.  I see it as falling right in the gap between the big observation planes of the late 30s (e.g., O-47)  and the little liaison planes that did all that work for the US Army in the war.  It could have been a compromise solution (in my eyes at least) for those generals who (initially) snickered at the idea of using Piper Cubs in combat.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:21:59 AM by Acree »

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 12:18:12 AM »
That Observer looks absolutely brilliant!
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline Acree

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 01:45:31 PM »
In late 1934, Farallon began to operate her first purpose-designed bomber aircraft (prior bomber aircraft had been adaptations).  At the end of the US Air Mail crisis in June, 1934, the US government offered the surviving Douglas B-7 and O-35 aircraft to Farallon.  With the more-capable Martin B-10 coming into service, the USAAC found no further need of the gull-winged Douglas bombers.  All 8 aircraft were refurbished and brought to a standard configuration broadly matching the B-7.  These aircraft entered service in the Farallonian Air Force beginning in November, 1934.  They wore the unlikely "Daddy Warbucks" emblem of the 4th Bombardment Squadron. 

The aircraft were initially known as B-7s (unusual for Farallonian aircraft, as most aircraft carried names rather than designations).  The B-7s were well-liked by the Farallonian bomber crews, and Capstan Aviation developed an upgrade program for them in 1939.  In a departure from usual Farallonian practice, the tired Curtiss Conqueror engines were replaced by Hispano-Suiza 12Y engines from France rather than an American engine.  Capstan also enclosed each crew position with well-glazed compartments, greatly improving crew comfort and slightly adding to the perfomrance increase attained from the engine upgrade.  B-7s receiving this upgrade officially became Capstan-Douglas Kittiwake IIs (the earlier aircraft becoming Kittiwake Is by default, although they were not generally called that in service). 

Finally, in 1940, Capstan upgraded the Kittiwakes again by replacing two of the three gun positions with hydraulically-operated turrets, each mounting two .50 calibre Browning machine guns.

Both the Kittiwake II and III could carry a two-thousand pound bomb load (a 60% increase over the B-7).  Increased fuel load and decreased fuel consumption meant there was a range increase as well, with the Mk II having a range of 900 miles and the Mk III being slightly decreased at 780 miles due to the added weight of the turrets. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 04:58:00 AM by Acree »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 01:46:02 PM »
Outstanding!!!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 02:17:50 PM »
That's a great looking machine!

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 02:26:52 PM »
That goes from being a Douglas to a long-lost Farman real fast!

Cheers,

Logan

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 01:06:29 AM »
Your Kittiwake is a fabulous idea! I love the way the mark II has traces of the Douglas Havoc about it too!

If you will permit me one minor nitpick, I don't believe the B-7/O-35 is parasol-winged since the wing attaches to the fuselage.

Offline Acree

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 04:57:16 AM »
EH: Yes, I guess you're right - that should be "gull-winged" - hence the name Kittiwake!  I will edit my original post!

Thanks to all for your comments!

Chuck

Offline apophenia

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 11:35:20 AM »
Love the Kittiwake upgrades  :) Using half of the F.223 nacelle is pure genius!

Offline Acree

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 02:33:51 PM »
Thanks Apophenia!

Now for the next update:
The FAF had an unusual structure, where there was a squadron established for each specific mission.  Because the FAF generally had small numbers of each aircraft, this made for “normal” sized squadrons.  However, some squadrons were quite large, and were divided into flights that were equivalent to squadrons in the RAF or USAAC.   
FAF squadrons were: 1st Training, 2nd Torpedo, 3rd Fighter, 4th Bombardment (and Patrol), 5th Transport (and Liaison), 6th Observation.  Aircraft and missions that did not seem to fit into these missions were generally assigned to the 1st or 5th Squadron. 
It’s time to address the Farallonian Air Force fighter arm.  The 3rd Fighter Squadron was being re-equipped with second-hand Boeing PW-9s as the 1930s began.  By the mid-1930s, the PW-9 was decidedly outdated.  When Lance Margon attended the International Air Race in Chicago in September, 1933, he witnessed Jimmy Wedell setting a new world speed record in his Wedell-Williams Model 44.  The top speed of the Model 44 was almost double that of the PW-9s being flown by the FAF fighter pilots.  So Margon approached Wedell about adapting the Model 44 as a fighter. 
Wedell quickly designed a gun installation (two .30 caliber Brownings in side blisters firing through the cowling).  The prototype was shipped to Farallon where it was tested and ultimately entered service with the 3rd Fighter Squadron.  This first Model 44P (for ‘Pursuit’) was assigned the code 3-F-X.  It was standard procedure to assign a letter instead of a number to aircraft which were used for test or otherwise restricted use, thus “X” for the Model 44P.  During testing it was determined that wing strength was inadequate for aggressive maneuvering.  It was also discovered that it was impossible to mount an effective gun sight due to the restricted visibility over the huge engine cowling covering the Pratt & Whitney Wasp Jr. engine.
Capstan Aviation set out to remedy the problems with the Model 44, by replacing wing bracing wires with hefty struts.  They also fitted a higher canopy and raised the pilot position for improved visibility and replaced the Model 44’s sprung tailskid with a steerable tailwheel.  The result was the Capstan Wedell Wasp.  Capstan built 24 Wasps between 1934 and 1936.  Capstan considered upgrade modifications for the Wasp, but studies determined that the airframe was already too close to its limit to justify the effort. 
However, back in the USA, Jimmy Wedell was inspired by the Farallonian Wasp project to enter a USAAC competition for a high-performance fighter which ultimately led to the Wedell-Williams P-34. 
In FAF service, the Wasp remained in first-line service with the 3rd Fighter Squadron (in diminishing numbers) until 1942. 

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 08:14:54 PM »
That Wasp looks great! :)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 07:28:59 AM »
Love the Wasp figher Acree  :-*  In fact, I've stolen it ...  ;D
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=351.msg20410#msg20410
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 07:32:42 AM by apophenia »